SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_940684190

Help deck design w/ propane tank & septic field close

Cinnamonstick 11
3 years ago

Hi! We are stuck! We want to put a deck on our home, however we are very limited due to the propane tank location and the septic field. Propane tank is circled in yellow behind the garage. The septic field starts about where the red line is drawn (30 feet out). There are strict code limitations for how close we can build to them. I think we can’t be within 10 feet of both.

We thought about extending the deck to the right (when looking at pic) behind the garage, but it is not possible due to the propane tank.

Then we thought about extending the deck on the left side of the house (when looking at pic), but we have a walk up basement. I’m wondering if we could have deck steps that go up and around the walkout basement leading to another section of the deck? Anybody ever hear of this? I’ve tried to Google photos but couldn’t locate any.

We also can’t build out too far out from the house bc we need to be about 10 feet from the septic field. I read about a cantilever portion on a deck. That will help expand away from the house a bit. Perhaps I can do one of those extensions both away from the house outward and to the right on the deck (propane tank side).

Need ideas please to expand the deck more to the left perhaps? May not be possible.......we also have the gas fireplace bump out above

the basement steps, of course. 🙁

Please ignore the yard. Fixing grass next....

Comments (9)