SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
finndian

I'm looking update my house with a cladding or facade. Can it be done?

Paul F.
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My house is a modern white box built in 1989. I've been admiring all the new architecture popping up around me with the use of multi-material cladding and laser-cut ventilation curtains, protruding window frames, etc. I think that I could get the look of a high-end architectural project fairly easily with the right facade design. Do you think I could do this out it costing an arm and a leg? It seems the best idea is just to clad it with some combination of wood, tile, cement fiberboard, or to shroud, at least the top section in a lacy ventilated facade. I could use more privacy on the second-floor rooftop deck and more wind protection as well.

How would I go about finding someone to help me design a new facade? Standard architect? Would they all want a cut of the construction costs or can they hand me a plan that my contractor can execute? I'm going to have a high-end construction company working on the rear of the building in a few months to fix some damage due to a fire in the attached garage and it seems like if I want to update the building, now is the time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comment (1)