SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda_eibel

waterproofing for uncovered porch with metal floor

Linda
3 years ago

My house was built in 1914 in Rhode Island. The 2nd floor has an uncovered porch, that sits over the 1st floor porch. The flooring on this porch is a type of metal sheeting that is stamped 32 pound copper and steel. There are seams, some rust and small, even tiny, holes here and there which I know can be allowing water to damage the wood beneath. Ripping it up and replacing it is cost prohibitive at this time so I'm looking for a waterproofing product that could be applied by us, perhaps by brush or roller? Clear would be a plus because I think the metal looks very cool and if not unique, at least unusual. If not clear, something paintable or tintable. The porch is used regularly - container plants, table and chairs, loveseat glider, as well as serving as outdoor space for our cats, who access it through the windows. So the surface needs to be able to withstand traffic and use as well be barefoot and paw friendly. The research I've done is confusing because products geared to porches or decks are designed for wood or concrete. Products designed for metal tend to be more indicated for roofs - which don't tend to be walked on. I'm including an old photo of the house that I found on a city website. It's probably close to 20 years old, long before we bought it, but it clearly shows the structure. The other photo is of the stamp on the metal floor. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome! I'm hoping to get it done asap.

Comment (1)