SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hummingbird678

Choosing allowance items - books, websites, etc for help?

4 years ago

I've done preliminary selections on all my allowance items so I have the amounts set where I want, but I keep browsing and tweaking my list as I get closer to the time to finalize - but what I'm NOT good at is understanding how it all fits together, and what looks "good." (As an engineer, I've always been trained in functionality more than aesthetics).

So I find a light fixture I love, but then I don't know if it will look good with the faucets I've chosen. Or I have chosen my flooring and know what countertops I want, but I don't know which cabinets will go well in between those two. And on and on... I was just wondering if there is a good resource for the basics of understanding mixing and matching all the different allowance items to get a cohesive looking house?

I don't need to be an expert, nor hire one. I'm not looking for a flashy place for entertaining people with high expectations. I live alone - and as said above, I care more about functionality than aesthetics. But I also don't want to do something really stupid, like put a very modern ceiling fan in a rustic living room, haha. Or putting two different finishes in the same room when they don't go well together.

So are there any good books that maybe give tips for what looks good, or explain common blunders people make?

Comments (30)