SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharon2079

Lavender Crush - where are you finding this rose?

sharon2079
3 years ago

Sorry if this double posts.... but can't find my original question.

I keep seeing people posting their pictures and talking about its wonderful scent..... the only place I see it listed on helpmefind.come is Angle Gardens.... it is not on their website.... they seem to list a LOT of roses on helpmefind.com but when you go to their site they NO longer carry the rose.... it isn't even the ones that you can wait while they get it in stock or graft....

I think I have heard some of you mention the box stores..... but my Lowes and Home Depot carry only the knockout roses.... which I HATE.... I don't think they look like a rose or smell like a rose..... I think the people who order the roses have been bamboozled so they think this is the only thing that sells.... um if you don't have any roses to sell you aren't going to sell them..... ugh

I saw one on multiflora and that won't work for me either.......

Thanks

Sharon

Comments (54)

• Oliver (SF 9A)
    3 years ago

i bought mine from Regan. Only four months old but already lots of (30 plus) buds. Super healthy and fragrant. I love the color too. My Lowe’s hd Walmart suck too. Never saw anything interesting there.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

I got mine from Regan‘s this year. My big box stores never have anything good either

sharon2079 thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Related Discussions

First Crush rose by Kordes at my local Lowes

Q

Comments (95)
    Right now it is in a two gallon pot. I would not plant it in anything bigger than a 3 gallon for the moment. Don't spend a lot of money. Go to a local nursery and ask them if they would sell you a used 3 gallon pot (one of the black plastic pots) as you are just going to use it for a short time. Should not cost more than a few dollars. I think Miracle-Gro is OK potting soil. There are other choices which have more compost or are organic. If it is the Miracle-Gro with the fertilizer already in the soil don't add any other fertilizer for the moment. You will know the roots are recovering as it puts out new top growth. You should see significant growth in the next 3-4 weeks. If you do not have a good way to overwinter a pot then it would be wise to put the rose in the ground by the first of August so it can put down more roots and acclimate to your conditions before winter sets in. Good luck!
    ...See More

Lavender Crush?

Q

Comments (2)
    I saw it earlier this year and could find nothing much either. Certified Roses does not give enough information on the roses to be able to judge them. Anyway I'm already testing a whole bunch of Kordes roses. So I'm satisfied for this year. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
    ...See More

Lavender Crush Climber

Q

Comments (170)
    @BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14), your LC blooms are certainly beautiful. I wish mine would be like that. Mine only look good when the blooms just opening. Then the color is quickly washed out and does not look attractive. This is only spring and the weather is mostly pleasant. I can understand that @PDXRobertZ8 had to remove it. Mine does not take a prime spot.
    ...See More

Finally !!!! Lavender crush

Q

Comments (28)
    Thank you for verifying my gut instinct. I was so thrilled just to have Ascot that I put her in the most visible spot with a lot of space around her thinking she'd look great with Star's yellow tone. Then they all bloomed and my heart sank, until FR bloomed and she looked so pretty there. It's amazing what a slightly different colour can do to make things seem natural. I plan to also plant Teasing Georgia on the other side, but as also a small cutting, I'll wait until next year to decide. I have a good new spot for Ascot where she hopefully won't clash with Florentina way in the background. This is crazy! I just barely have this huge bed planted, and I'm already planning changes! : )) Lilly, be sure to post some pics when they're in the ground just to get an idea. I love seeing the evolution.
    ...See More
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    3 years ago

I bought 14 of them at Walmart two years ago, and last year I saw them there too.

sharon2079 thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot have all carried it before, but without much consistency of when or in what form. (Walmart always as a body bag, Lowes/HD as potted plant).

Regan is the only mail order source I’ve seen.

I think it’d be hard to find on anything other than Dr Huey, since Certified is the only grower. Maybe grow it in a large pot if Dr. Huey isn’t suitable for your soil.

Good luck, its a unique, gorgeous rose with a fabulous scent.

sharon2079 thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • ladybug A 9a Houston area
    3 years ago

I got mine from Lowes. Not sure if I like mine, it looks nothing like Ben's. No flower/bud this yr so far, last yr I got some quarter sized blooms. Strong fragrance though.

sharon2079 thanked ladybug A 9a Houston area
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

I think some places it may be a slow starter especially from the bagged roses. Mine took forever just to establish but it's putting on some growth now. I did get some nice flowers from it last year. Hopefully it will be better and not blackspot. Thus far when I already have things black spotting it is remaining clean so I remain hopeful.

sharon2079 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 years ago

I got my LC as a body bag at Walmart last year. The WMs in North FL all had them the last few yrs dirt cheap, then this year Nada! I couldnt find them anywhere around here! Kicking myself for not getting more when I had the chance lol. I think, next year, more online places will carry them because there has been such an interest in them and in purple & lavender roses in general. Regans had some this yr but ran out quick.

• sharon2079
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hopefully I can find one.... My Walmart does not have a gardening section (with plants, just a rack of seeds inside).... My Sam's has body bags in the spring, but they always carry the same 12 to 15 and NONE are Laverder Crush. And as I said my Lowes and HD only have knockouts.... I know this isn't the case for other Lowes and HD..... SoFl sometimes finds great finds of David Austins and Kordes but she probably has a different buyer.... I have even asked the manager and he said that they no one buys anything but Knock outs.... I told him that it is hard to buy them if they don't have them.... I told him that A Lot of people would buy other roses if he just got them in..... he just rolled his eyes....

I don't know what a Mernards is.... I must have a sheltered life....

• sautesmom Sacramento
    3 years ago

Thank you Phillip for that bucket of cold water! Too often I buy roses based on climates not my own. I try to remind myself it's best to buy on what they look like in my local nurseries in the heat of July!

3 years ago

Sharon, the only place I accidently got a David Austin rose (Jubilee Celebration) was a Lowes in Jax out on Atlantic Blvd. That Lowes has now gone downhill in the rose dept like all the other Lowes & H. Depots around here, carrying mostly Knockouts. Theres a nursery in Callahan called Gore's Nursery that had Abe Darbys, and Distant Drums and a few other *good* roses (lol) last year grafted onto fortuniana for something like $16 in 3 gal pots. I didn't check this year to see if they had anything. There used to be an Ace Hardware in Orange Park that carried decent potted roses and lots of other goodies but I haven't been there in awhile either.

sharon2079 thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    3 years ago

sharon:

For the comments prompting the eye roll, and for “sheltered life”

sharon2079 thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • sharon2079
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ann BenT's is one of the reasons I want one..... and yours is another reason I want one..... gosh, I sure hope I can find it.

• Ann9BNCalif
    3 years ago

Good luck Sharon! I got mine from a local nursery in Napa, CA.

Ann

3 years ago

Wow, Ann that is one profuse and festive Lavender Crush! I’m sure it smells amazing. I know it darkens as it ages, but I’ve never seen it as light as your newer blooms. Are you training as a shrub or climber?

• Ann9BNCalif
    3 years ago

Hi Ben - Mine is growing super straight, no arching so far. I don't have these medium/large blooms like you do but these large clusters of smallish blooms. My LC is about 6ft but I recall yours is reaching the roof of your house? I tried cutting back the buds in the cluster to see if I could get larger blooms but I think I was too late to have an impact. I'll try again.

Bloom clusters can have twice as many buds as the only below.

I'm picky about growth habit and wouldn't like this rose if it was too droopy. I like a neat, upright growth and this one is very straight (so far). :))

Ann

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    3 years ago

Wow, Ann, your Lavender Crush is amazing. Mine is still in buds right now. If mine is as good as yours I’d be happy to have it in place of Rainy Blue 🌿💕🌿 Helen

• Ann9BNCalif
    3 years ago

Given how different mine is from BenT's, I'm curious to see what your LC looks like. You have so many well grown roses I wonder if your version will be something unique or more like one of ours? Mine is starting its third year and I just finished deadheading the first flush. It blooms in cycles for me several times during the season but this past flush had the most blooms ever. I started using E.B. Stone rose products last year which are local to the Bay Area and seem to be working well for my roses. Since I had my hip replacement, I can't bend too much so using products where I just scatter it on the ground is my way of feeding. I can't dissolve fish emulsion and haul watering cans around any more but that's ok because scattering is a lot easier seems to be working well.

Rainy Blue is lovely and I would like to have that one too.

Ann

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    3 years ago

Ann, mine is first year grafted on Dr Huey, so it will awhile before it will have a full look like yours and Ben's. I got it bare root from Regan, and as I remember it was sold out pretty fast. Do you spray in your garden? I don't spray (because I didn't have time) so normally my garden has powdery mildew and rust. However, this year is kind of weird because many of my normally healthy roses have blackspot on them. I though blackspot only happen when there are a lot of rain, lol. Helen

• Ann9BNCalif
    3 years ago

I don’t spray at all and get a little bit of everything but it’s typically gone by May which has been the case. I do get a little black spot throughout the season but it’s rose specific like Lady Emma Hamilton or Mister Lincoln.

Ann

3 years ago

Ann

My Lavender Crush grows similar to yours, long stiff canes. I tried to peg a few of the canes and got some laterals. I’ve seen it trained as a tall shrub and wrapped around a pillar, seemed to do well either way.

Helen

I actually find Lavender Crush and Love Song more beautiful than Rainy Blue, although the way the lady trained Rainy Blue into a heart was very special. Best of all, Lavender Crush and Love Song are readily available, no need to sacrifice a kidney (you had to know that was coming with the Rainy Blue mention !)

3 years ago

Does anyone know what the rootstock is? I saw some growth under the graft and cut if off, it did not look drastically different. I mostly grow grow own root and most of my grafted plants dont do well

3 years ago

The rootstock is Dr Huey, as Certified is the only source. Dr Huey does indeed look more like the average modern rose than multiflora or fortuniana

3 years ago

Thank you Ben, i will give LC another season, if it doesnt do well, i will start over and try in a new location.

3 years ago

A quick photo, my cluster is similar to Ann’s but darker in color, probably a climate dfference, Lavender Crush color varies within my yard, too, but it’s almost always something quite special!

Lavender Crush today:

Lavender Crush last year:

Lavender Crush when I first got her from HD, they had a whole pallet of these gorgeous , amazingly fragrant plants just like this one, all labeled as ‘Angel Face’ lol. If I had the room I would have bought ALL of them!

sharon2079 thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • sharon2079
    Original Author
    3 years ago

BenT..... you have me swooning.... I just love that darker lavender/purple..... can't wait to find one..... sigh

• Rose_Apothecary_7b_ATL
    3 years ago

Just got one from Rose Depot online on Dr Huey rootstock. Good size too.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    3 years ago

Ann, the blooms of my Lavender Crush just opened and they have their color in the midrange between yours and Ben's.

Ben, haha, I wonder if Lilyfinch knew that we have been teasing her about Rainy Blue. Helen

3 years ago

Home Depot has them on the website to be shipped to you. If you buy two, it will be about $60 or so w tax and free ship. Free ship was advertised if one spends $45 or more. Otherwise it is 27.98 before tax and 5.99 to ship.

sharon2079 thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 years ago

Sultry,

Welcome back and great find! I guess you can order anything else with LC in your Home Depot order...shovel, pots, wouldn’t be hard for a rose gardener to spend $60.

Helen,

She does! She ‘liked’ my kidney comment. I will forever associate Rainy Blue with kidney bargaining. Plum Perfect is also known as ‘Transplant Australiia’s Thank You Rose’. Good cause I’m sure, but awful, awkward name to saddle a variety with! Rainy Blue can be ‘Transplant GardenWeb’s You’re Welcome to my Kidney Rose’.

Um , to stay on track, this is what the whole plant of Lavender Crush would look like, if you happened upon her at the store.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    3 years ago

Ben, you are hilarious 🌿🤣😂🤣🌿 Helen

• sautesmom Sacramento
    3 years ago

Home Depot:

We're unable to ship this item to homes and stores in: AK AZ CA GU HI PR VI

waaah!

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Oooooooh!!!! Ann and Ben - your roses are sublime!!! Both shades are tres belle and the blooms are amazing! I'm in awe!!

• Ann9BNCalif
    3 years ago

BenT and Helen - this is the very first bloom I ever got from Lavender Crush which was a fairly dark purple so the rose is capable of a darker color but there's something about my soil, climate, or feeding that's producing the lighter purple and greater amount of white on the reverse side.

Ann

3 years ago

Thanks Ben :)

My LC is usually in this color range. I moved mine from a pot to in the ground on an arbor this spring. It seems to just be sitting there rn hardly growing or blooming. Hopefully its just growing roots lol.

(last year)

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    3 years ago

They had lavender crush at lowes in my area today, if it weren't for the hubby being with me it probably would have jumped in my cart.

Probably a good thing cause i have no idea where i would plant it at this point 😁.

3 years ago

Aww, DD, I have one of those too. I've missed many a good rose, but I'm still keeping him!

;-D Over here it's a tall grower so doesn't take up much space at all!. Here are the first blooms of the season on mine.

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    3 years ago

Beautiful! You're being an enabler lol lowes is only a five minute drive. Stop it 😂.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Ann - that is an exquisite picture of a wonderful rose! That color is gorgeous!!

Sultry - that's another gorgeous pic of this rose! It's very photogenic!! Wowza!

3 years ago

Welcome dirt digger. If you need any more help, here are some from last year when it was just a super baby.

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    3 years ago

I found mine at Home Depot in Parkville, Maryland in May 2019.

• DVS inFL (Zone 9a)
    3 years ago

Mine was from Walmart, stuck in a body bag. My experience with it is mixed because it's easily subjected to black spots. It gets black spots so badly that nearly all the leaves fall off. But in early spring, it's a beauty for sure. And maybe in mid fall too.

3 years ago

DVS, that was my experience last year. We will see this year, but so much else is already losing leaves. Thankfully if it does go naked, it's hidden behind another rose!

3 years ago

I got 2 from Home depot online. My kids surprised me after I was talking about it lol. They ship in a box w NO packing whatsoever via UPS. They are grafted bareroot but not much root system on them at all. My old one was from walmart and actually had decent roots for a body bag. I hope these new one make it lol. These say Mea Nursery on the tags.

Hole in side of box w cane peeking out lol.

Soaking now.

3 years ago

Reagan cut my bare roots as short as your pic, Sultry, and they still grew decent. With Mea, my greater concern is that you got the variety Lavender Crush as labeled. I think when Mea correctly puts a rose in the body bag (as opposed to, say a raspberry or Althea), it passes their quality assurance and is considered job well done.

3 years ago

I was thinking that too lol. I sure hope they are the right thing! I am debating if I should pot them up or just put it in the ground. They bloom way faster here in a pot and then I would know for sure haha.

I am putting one in my veggie garden on an arch behind the birdbath and the other one out front, on the other side of the arch, where my first one is, so I will finally have a pair on that arch.

3 years ago

Mine was even runtier last year as a Walmart markdown and it just sat there for the lngest time, but finally decided t live. It's blooming now and I think yours will make it as well. Congrats.... looking forward to seeing the arch.

• Jenny Mertes
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I found my Lavender Crush at a Home Depot or Lowe's in Chandler, AZ, in spring 2021. It was a big, beautiful potted bush that I immediately transplanted into my back yard here in Phoenix. It's against a block wall at the south end of my yard, facing north. Our ultra-hot summer and monsoons didn't phase it - right now it looks bigger and healthier than any of my other roses, and I'm a newbie to rose growing. I haven't coddled it one bit. Just staked it to a fanning trellis and kept it watered. I love it!

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    2 years ago

Mine came from Burling, in 2019.

• philipatx
    last year
    last modified: last year

Sylvia, is your LC then grown own root? I wonder how it is performing. I assume the feet under the grafted plants I bought were their weaknesses.

I owe an update on my diseased throw-a-bucket-of-water-on-folks'-enthusiasm post of a couple years back. After settling in, the bush has been much healthier than initially, and it's a keeper. (I had purchased multiple plants, and all but one grew backwards until they died. The surviving, but erstwhile disease-prone plant now has more established feet under it, and is doing relatively well, though nothing like Ben T's or Ann's spectacular plants!)