SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_732660977

Staircase Dilemmas

greg
3 years ago

I have looked at this enigma for years with no solution. I am usually pretty good with this but I guess I need a jump start. Let's start with why I hate it. Biggest thing is the top bull nose strip. I want the carpet from the top floor to wrap over. To do this it seems I must raise all second floor 3/4" or lower bull nose 3/4" . Latter will shorten the stair riser 3/4" and I am not sure if that is safe. I did sort of a test with the grey carpet on the landing in the pictures. It will have the same problem. Then that leaves area newel post. How to match that in at the base where it attaches to the floor in addition the the baluster with the notch cut out of it. I could get away with putting down 3/4" ply just in the hallway wrapping around balusters and newel post

but the leaves a possible step up to each room. Not sure why they didn't evenly space the balustrades on second floor banister. I also wonder why they used oak and maple. These are easy fixes. It is how to run carpet safely over the top step I my dilemma. Does anyone have pic designs or put circles and arrows of existing pic with an idea? Thanks.

Comments (2)