SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megan_schultz8892

Help with Master Bedroom!

Megan
3 years ago

Hello! I just bought a new (to me) house and I think this may be the first post of many, so first off, thank you, and second, let me know if I'm not being thorough enough with my information to get good advice.

The house is a small 1940s house in California that was essentially doubled from its original size (from originally 900 to 1750 square feet). This is the upstairs bedroom, which was added on about 15 years ago. It's ugly and isn't really in the style of the rest of the house.

My goals for this room are to have a space that feels nice that we can move into a gradually turn into a bedroom and sitting area. For a year, we will also share it with our new baby (estimated arrival in four months!) For style, we tend towards modern (contemporary or midcentury modern), wood, natural fabrics, and neutrals (although we do like pops of color too). Our current bed is a queen-size Drommen from CB2 that we've had for several years (picture from the website below) and some small silver metal side tables with wood drawers (modern, also from CB2). We also have two vintage Danish slat chairs (pictured below--I've been meaning to recover them for a looong time so they may or may not stay orange) that will likely go into this room. We will probably buy new bedding - a thick cotton bedspread in a solid neutral color (offwhite, navy, grey, etc). For carpet, we picked out a low-profile berber style from Anderson Tuftex in a light tan color (not purchased yet). Eventually we would like a wall of bookshelves but I think that's not going to make the budget this year.

1. Paint - what color would you paint this room? We should remove the chair rail, right? I was thinking white or near-white (maybe a hint of color). Should we do the ceiling white, and a light color on the walls? Do you have any tips for minimizing the texture of the walls? What kind of paint should I get? Eggshell or Flat or other?

2. Window coverings. This bedroom is probably going to bake in the sun, so I would like insulation. If curtains, do you have tips for what to look for? Should I do some kind of sheer and layer them with blackouts? Any good sources for curtains? Any tips on fabric for sheers? I would like to do both windows for under $300, but less would even be better. They are approximately 70" wide (the larger one) and 68" wide (the smaller). The ceiling is 96 inches high at the low part.

3. Ceiling fan - any good ones out there that would work in this space and not break the bank? What color would you go for? We don't need a light package.

Any other tips would be really great. If you look at the pictures, the first one is the entry into the room. And then they go from left wall to the right, in order.

Comments (20)