SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_gilbert69

Have you ever sold a house after just purchasing it?

JGGM
3 years ago

I closed on a new construction home with a relatively large tract builder about 7 months ago. I actually wanted to back out of the purchase prior to closing, but I would have lost my earnest money and a percentage of my upgrades, about $25k - so I closed anyway.

I have tried to like the house, but I just don't. I have grown to hate the "open concept" floor plan, I'm realizing that the "upgrades" I spent a lot of money on are still not great quality, for example cabinets that are not wood, apparently. I also thought I would like being on a cul-de-sac, but I can't stand it. And, generally speaking, I do not care much for the way the neighborhood is looking - people don't care for their lawns, and it just does not feel like 'home' to me. I moved from a home built in the 1980s that had defined space (i.e. this is the kitchen, around the corner is the living room, etc.) and rather than spend a lot of money upgrading it, I thought it would be cool to build a brand new house and have something energy efficient.

I have talked to two real estate agents. Both agree I over-paid of the house, never mind the fact that one of those agents 'represented' me when I purchased the house. They do both agree that I will need to bring somewhere between $20-30k to closing if I were to sell right now. I am pretty much to the point where I'm willing to do that and chalk it up an expensive life lesson.

So, I'm curious. Have you ever been in a similar situation? And if so, what did you do? To my parents and friends, I'm absolutely crazy for even considering this. It's just me, no wife or kids, so the move doesn't affect anyone but me.

Comments (13)