SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_pittard

Best option for driveway with significant root damage/beautiful tree?

John Pittard
3 years ago

We have two large, beautiful sycamores in the front of our house, and a large root from one has led to a significant crack and unevenness in our driveway. We'd like to repair/replace the driveway, but we don't want to cut the root, as doing so would (according to our arborist) likely lead to significant damage to the tree. We'd also like a driveway where we can play basketball, which we do frequently (even though the raised crack poses a risk when we play). My initial thought is to regrade the driveway so that the root is no longer above the surrounding surface level and then repave (with asphalt) over the root. As you can perhaps see from the pictures, if the driveway was regraded to be slightly less steep in the portion between the garage and the crack, it could "clear" the root while still being even with the walkway that connects the driveway to the house. (The driveway has apparently sunk slightly below the walkway, or perhaps it was never even with it.)

My questions:

1. I'm wondering whether people think it is simply foolish to pave over this root in order to preserve a mature and gorgeous tree while also improving the driveway. The current cracking is not only ugly, but it also poses a problem for basketball as well as snow plowing. We would be willing to have a driveway that did not last as long if it meant preserving the tree while having an improved surface for several years. That being said, we wouldn't want to pursue this path if it meant we'd be in a similarly bad situation in only a handful of years.

2. Does anyone have any other proposed solutions, other than living with our large crack or cutting the root and likely killing about half of the tree? In particular might there be some alternative to asphalt that would be superior given our situation and needs? (Might pavers be superior?)

We live in Connecticut, so thawing/freezing cycles are common. Typically, our driveway is cleared by combination of snow plow and some shoveling.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice!

Comments (5)