SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardnergal

seeking creative solution to pine root damage in driveway

gardnergal
14 years ago

Hello,

My neighbor has some large pines which are on the border of our properties. Over the years they have trimmed and/or removed some, but a few big ones remain. On the neighbors' side of the trees, they have a lawn which they water. On our side, there is ~6-8 feet of soil with some shrubs, sloping down a bit to our asphalt drive. We have lived here for over 20 years, and what was once smooth asphalt has visible roots among broken asphalt (up to 4 feet into the drive) on the surface. The edging along the asphalt is also buckling.

I would like to build a low retaining wall along the edging, but if left as is, the tree will necessitate rebuilding the wall every few years. I am looking for a way to fix (for good)the problem without killing the tree. The edging is too close to the trunk to consider cutting the roots there safely. I thought I would try to grind out the surface roots furthest away from the trunk, but fear it would still kill it. Also, if I remove the broken asphalt in a few spots, to get to the roots, subsequent water could encourage new roots where there is no longer any asphalt to keep them in check.

I am considering changing my plans for the placement of the retaining wall to go around the worst of the broken asphalt (cutting into our drive by ~4 feet), and tearing out the buckling edging. Could I just cover up the exposed roots and smother them with something waterproof and soil? I could then plant a ground cover on top which wouldn't require deep drainage. I know smothering is not a great idea, but the tree has lived with roots under the asphalt for many years, so it wouldn't be a huge shock.

Any ideas or comments are welcome.

Ann

Comments (20)