SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Heirlooms nobody will care about. Do you have one?

Oakley
3 years ago

I seriously got to thinking about this yesterday after I found the perfect display stand for the most precious gift my late brother gave me. Not sure if I've shown a picture of the necklace before but I took a new one today after I bought the display stand from a little shop in our town.

Backstory on the necklace. Even if you're much younger than my baby boomer self, I'm sure you've heard the song, "Sweet Emily" by Leon Russell. Video below.

Leon, Emily, and other's home base was Tulsa, where they're from. That's where I'm from too, and it was no big deal seeing Leon drive his powder blue Rolls Royce around town cruising like the rest of us, when he didn't have a concert.

Leon wrote the song in honor of Emily, his very good friend & I think it was released in 1971. By then my brother became good friends with Emily and I never got to meet her. :(

Before I left for college in 1972 when Leon was still super famous (and hot as all get out, lol), my brother gave me a present for my 18th birthday. One was a necklace that Emily gave him to give to me, and the other was a little vintage tapestry bag of Emily's with long fringe, and I think someone stole it from me.

I keep the necklace hung in the bedroom but when I saw the display stand, I knew it would go in the living room.

Below are two pictures of the necklace, picture was taken in the best light, but that's not it's home.

Under the pictures is a video that has Emily in it, with Leon singing "Sweet Emily." She's the one with reddish hair and she's baking bread too. Classic.

DS 1 is getting the necklace when I pass, he's old enough to remember Leon. Not sure where it will go after that. :(

Do you have something special that your heirs will probably get rid of because they don't remember or know the whole meaning of it?

I'm thinking about putting a shorter necklace with it. This will stay in the LR.

Leon singing Sweet Emily, with Emily in the video. Curly red hair, baking bread, bopping around. Emily passed away around 2013.

Comments (24)