SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luis_vazquez28

Bermuda Lawn Not Greening - Please Help!

Luis Vazquez
3 years ago

Hey everyone, here is my dilemma.

I moved in to a new build home in Houston about a year ago, and the builder planted Bermuda SOD. Being a new home owner, and having grass for the first time ever, I had now idea what I was up against. Unfortunately, I started doing research a little too late, and here is where I’m at now.

1. Applied milorganite about a week ago

2. cutting lawn once a week at 2”. Soil is uneven and will scalp if I try to cut at 1.5” or below

3. Watering as needed for 1” (2 x a week for 30 mins is what I calculated using a tuna can) I will minimize watering or omit it completely when we have rainy weeks.

Here are my questions:

1. I read that bermuda should be scalped during spring when the lawn starts greening. Did I miss that mark, and too late to scalp?

2. I did not apply pre emergent during fall to avoid weeds. i did apply a post emergent and some weeds have been eliminated completely. Is it too late to apply pre emergent? temps are 80-90 during the day at the moment

3. Do I keep applying fertilizer every 6 weeks? 8?

4. Does my lawn need dethatching or aerating?

5. Why is my lawn not completely green at this point? It appears that some of it is still dormant. I was driving around the neighborhood and noticed some lush green lawns. I am jealous!

Photos below of my front and back yard

Please help and point me in the right direction. I am trying my best to be a responsible lawn owner, but need some guidance!

Thanks

JV

Comments (5)