SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john7285

Advice/Tips: Retrofit Shower for Steam

John Miller
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Thanks in advance for any help.
We are currently building a new-construction house. Our building is not willing to install a steam shower or provide vapor-proofing (so we can install). We are interested, after we move in, to retrofit the existing standup shower into a steam shower.
Any thoughts, experiences, tips are welcome. Here is the background:

• We have a remodeler who has done work for us. He has experience remodeling standup showers down to the studs and back up. He does not have any experience with retrofitting for steam
  • We would hire an electrician and plumber for those appropriate bits
  • We know that a vapor barrier (such as Kerdi) must be installed
  • The shower is approx 4.5x5.5 and 9' tall (which will be built-down and sloped)
  • The current (pre-tear-out) shower will have a mudset floor, I believe in a liner directly on the concrete foundation
  • The shower is all interior walls
  • We intend to install a few niches, again using whatever the vapor barrier company recommends
  • Porcelain tile on top

Any tips appreciated but my primary questions are:

• How different/difficult is vapor proofing to 'regular' shower building? Assume skilled by not master craftsman, and able to follow instructions/videos reasonably well
  • Anything I should be concerned about or look into with existing construction (such as, "sounds good but if the do this one terrible thing during install, you'll really just have to tear your house down and start over)?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, help, tips! Cheers!

Comments (8)