SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zinniachick

Retro bottom drain tips

zinniachick
17 years ago

Well, four solid days in the sun later, we have a bottom drain in our 12,000-gallon former swimming pool/current koi pond.

-- Thanks to Mike_Il's advice last year on this subject. Mike, we didn't need an air compressor to remove the air from the 4-inch pvc pipe coming up from the pool bottom, over the cement deck and across to the settling pond. We bought at Lowes a 4-inch pvc connector that had a 2-inch T coming out; glued 2-inch knife valve onto that, with a screw-in plug on top. Took out the plug, opened the valve, used our Shop Vac hose and a store-bought rubber 2-inch pipe coupling (one with the steel clamp you tighten with a screwdriver) to make airtight the connection between the Shop Vac and 2-inch T; flipped on the vaccuum and in about three seconds it lifted water to fill that 4-inch pipe. I know, I couldn't believe it either. It was that easy. Flip off the vacuum, close the knife valve, remove the rubber coupling and vacuum hose, screw the plug back in, voila. We have a siphon between the ponds.

We spent days parting together an octopus of 4-inch pvc, spray-painted black, so that our two store-bought retrofit bottom drains (with 2-inch openings) were at the end of two four-inch pvc arms, which joined together to one 4-inch pvc vertical rise, up over the pool side, across the cement deck, into the settling pond. We discovered

1) The two, 2-inch openings, even with all that 4-inch pipe leading up to it, can't keep up with our pump drawing water from the settling pond.

2) However, remove the 2-inch drains, leaving just the 4-inch mouth of the pipe at the pond bottom, and the system runs perfectly, with an almost unnoticeable difference in surface levels between the pond and settling pond.

Here's my question: Would one or two additional 2-inch retrofit drains leading to that 4-inch rise in pipe solve the flow problem? Or should we just devise some kind of dome and risers for the 4-inch pipe and call it a bottom drain?

I'm just so tickled that the siphon works. You said it would work. You all said it would. I was wrong to doubt you. :)

Comments (5)