SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

What will happen with remodeling after the worst of the pandemic?

julieste
3 years ago

We have been thinking about this a lot since we have some remodeling (including a kitchen) that we want to do. I can envision all different sorts of scenarios, and also a mixture of those I describe.

Scenario one: The economy will continue to tank, and there will be lots of homeowners who can no longer afford to take on a discretionary upgrade/remodel. Many people are now unemployed and/or their assets have plummeted in value, so they just don't have any resources to put into remodeling. As a result, lots of contractors and tradesmen will be seeking out work very soon. And, they will drop their prices just to be more competitive so they can secure work.

Scenario two: Contractors and tradesmen have already-booked work that will hold them through the next few months, so right now things aren't looking too bleak for them. But, in a couple months, after they finish these current projects, they will be frantically looking for work. They then might have to drop their prices just to stay working.

Scenario three: There will be a pent-up remodeling demand, and people who have been waiting through the worst of the pandemic to make remodeling plans will have an impetus and ability to finally move forward. Tradesmen and contractors will have heavy demand for their services, and they will jack up their prices knowing they can get work from customers who are willing to pay top dollar.

Scenario four: Homeowners cautiously move forward with remodeling plans, but they will scale their expenditures and the scope of their projects way down. They will want to develop less expensive plans and/or add in a lot of DIY work. They will be looking for the most reasonable prices from workers.

I know which type of scenario I think is probably realistically most likely, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Comments (38)