Eastern Bluebird Family and Nestbox

Michelle Mathine

Hi all. I have no idea what I'm doing and am not a birder, but after some research I discovered I have a bluebird nestbox attached to a large branch of a tree about 7-8 feet above the ground with Eastern Bluebirds nesting. Mom and Dad were very active the last couple weeks and I could hear the babies when a parent went to the entrance hole. Yesterday I noticed Mom and Dad are gone, I can't hear the babies and the nestbox is tilted slightly and it looks like the hole is plugged with nesting - possibly from the inside. My guess is a raccoon or a similar predator, but I don't know what to do next. Should I open the box and see what's up? Push the nest back into the box? Is there a way to save this family if it isn't too late??

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gwendolyn jo Nelson

You may as well at least check it out and see what may have happened.

Save    
HU-47128486

After a few years we finally have bluebirds nesting. A check shows only one baby. Is this unusual?

Save    
carolinva

Bluebirds lay 1 egg a day - it may take a few days for her to finish. It took 5 days for my momma to finish and start sitting on the nest. She won't sit on the nest until she is finished laying the eggs

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides How to Bring the Joy of Bluebirds to Your Garden
Attract these beautiful songbirds with nesting habitat and food sources, including berry-producing trees and shrubs
Full Story
Landscape Design Spark Wonder in the Garden With These Family-Friendly Ideas
Entice kids outdoors with plenty of things to discover, fruits to taste and secret spots to explore
Full Story
Gardening for Birds What to Know About Birds Nesting in Your Yard
Learn how to observe, record data and help ornithologists with NestWatch’s citizen science project understand bird trends
Full Story