SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moosemac_gw

Misfits Market Update 5-5-2020

moosemac
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Since I posted about my unhappiness with last week's box, I thought it is only fair to post an update.

I received the box Sunday and everything was fresh and vibrant. It was a beautiful box!

It was only missing one item this time. Asparagus were an add on.

Comments (105)

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    3 years ago

I would complain and probably suspend or cancel. The celery looks awful but I would make a stock probably. (with any of it that is not dried out) The kale or any greens should not have YELLOW edging at all. My greens still look great from over a week ago. (box before last!) grrr, I'd be furious. Or just disappointed...I don't have the energy these days to be angry, lol.

They are not being trained properly. Seriously damaged or with obvious rot should be disposed of at the packing plant and NOT sent. Loose stalks of celery should NOT be sent. Unless it is in the box with a full bunch....the loose stalks included as a freebie.

Don't toss the avocado. They are excellent but look funny. Give it a chance to ripen. If brown/rotty inside when ready, take a pic.

They have the right packing material so nothing should be damaging something else. The boxes are well marked and pretty hard to handle up-side down or sideways. Packed with root veg and potatoes on the bottom, yada, yada.

Many companies get alerts when the name is mentioned anywhere on the web. Maybe they will see this discussion.

Maybe in a couple weeks I will sent them this link!...if this crud continues.

It is Misfits, not rot-fest.

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

I’m going to make a decision this week. I’m finding it too inconsistent. And then things which normally last a long time do not. I’m supplementing anyway at the grocery store so I might as well just buy all of what I want, as much of it as I want, when I want it. I figure if I cancel my order it leaves more for people who have less available or less willing to go shopping.

• Related Discussions

House on market 1.5 years...what to offer

Q

Comments (14)
    You should have your agent pull up comps and make an offer based on that. How long the house is on the market or how many times the price has been lowered doesn't matter. The only thing that's going to tell you what the market value is right now, is looking at recent comparable sales. The market has changed a lot in 18 months, and what the sellers thought back then about the market and prices isn't necessarily true today. Your agent and the seller's agent will need to talk to each other once you have a good idea what your offer is going to be. Hopefully the sellers are motivated. How the couple split the money from the sale of the home is not your concern. They might not have an equal ownership investment in the property, there could be pre-nups involved, or one could have inherited the property before or after they married, etc. You don't know and probably won't ever know out about their personal arrangements. Assuming the house is in both of their names, they both have to sign the papers at settlement. If the divorce is nasty, that could be an issue for your atty to make sure of.
    ...See More

Need ideas for reconfiguring long narrow 11.5 x 5.5 bath

Q

Comments (45)
    benjesbride, one reason for rotating the shower and running it the width of the exterior wall would be to get rid of the existing half wall, which now creates a large dark area by the vanity. If I rotate the shower, I was thinking about putting both the shower head and the controls on the left hand wall. Stepping into the shower to turn on the water is not a big issue and I don't like the idea of having the shower head and the controls on separate walls. cpartist, thanks for the tip on the sliding glass doors. They certainly have changed over the last 25 years! I understand your point about a shower bench. Maybe a footrest or a couple of curved corner shelves would add a little bit of decor to that end of the shower, even though I doubt the spray from the shower head would reach that far. One question: How wide was the curb on your 3' x 6' shower?
    ...See More

Just ordered/joined MisfitsMarket

Q

Comments (56)
    checked in to the misfits website at 5 pm to do add ons. Added the canned tomatoes and the blueberries and some mushrooms. They had a lot of stuff that I wouldn't ever add...mixes and snack bars etc. The current produce list looks good as there isn't any celery or radishes ! Will see how it looks when it gets here in another week....I am doing every other week and we have a lot of company coming so looking forward to the next box. I check the current facebook Misfits page to see the comments and pictures and recipes. Lots of info and lots of " good " and " bad" boxes and mixups by the company. Growing pains seems to be the problem. WAY more want than there is ability to meet them. Will see how it goes. Everything is keeping beautifully and will have used everything by the time the next box comes. Glad others joined and are enjoying. Thanks again for the headsup sleevendog. c
    ...See More

Moving in 5-6 years and considering updating kitchen.

Q

Comments (68)
    eornato….BAM !! Totally on point !! IN MY OPINION ONLY, remember.....speaking from experience as a former BUYER, I was looking for neat, function, quality and something that had NOT been updated to "trendy standards" since trends come and go and everyone's taste is different..... Your kitchen is gorgeous as it is !! DO NOT paint the cabinets !! What I personally see is a battle going on between "warm" and "cool".....gray does NOT go with "warm wood tones"....paint your walls a warm neutral beige tone to BLEND and COMPLIMENT the lovely backsplash tiles which DO go with your warm wood cabinets....that's a cheap fix !! Next get rid of the "tulip" shades on island lighting...THEY are outdated, NOT the whole light fixtures ( unless you WANT to replace the whole fixture )...another cheap fix !! "Cutesy" valances do not work in a gorgeous kitchen...remove it from over the sink.... In my HUMBLE OPINION ONLY...what your kitchen is LACKING is a "softening" accent color...the black and white checked accessories are just making it all too "cold" looking in an otherwise "warm" kitchen.....pick a SOFT color you like....a sunny yellow or pretty peach would work and accent by using floral arrangement on a counter or in center of island....soft bronze or copper for a tea kettle on stove....a green-leafed plant on a counter....you get the idea...."visually" warm up the room so it looks inviting and not "stark naked"...LOL Also, do you really expect anyone to spend any reasonable amount of time sitting on those uncomfortable-looking stools under the island's counter top???? LOL...pick stools with a soft padded top !! I TOTALLY agree with a previous poster who suggested IF you want to invest $$$ in this home that you will be selling, then upgrade any VITAL areas....perhaps install Generac-style "whole house generator" system so prospective buyers will know they'll be safe if the power goes out...that sort of thing...... Lastly...have PATIENCE....wait....life DOES have a way of throwing curves when we least expect it...your "plan" of selling within "x" amount of years may change in a heartbeat....Best of luck with WHATEVER your life brings in the future !!!
    ...See More
  • ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    3 years ago

When I cancelled of course they wanted a reason. They got an earful but I doubt I will hear back. It's nice for them that their business has picked up so much, but it's a shame they are too busy to properly train the packers.

3 years ago

I just had a Baldor order delivered this morning. We are not shopping at all in stores. And will not for a very long time.

I might go back to every other week through July. Then suspend for August when the garden is in full production.

I have had only the best experience but maybe my area north of NYC might be one of the earlier trained warehouses. Overwhelmed is one thing but crap is another. Not a great business plan. My box was delivered late but the ice pack was still half frozen and packed properly.

My boxes have been much better than Fairway or WholeFoods. So much cheaper than any organic.

These greens are from Misfits. Incredible artichokes the size of softballs from Baldor. Happy dance from Baldor. Should be the same from Misfits. I still get that dance, but would be so disappointed with some of the boxes posted above.

• party_music50
    3 years ago

sigh. I agree with everyone! but right now that weekly box is like entertainment for me. lol! I got a 'lemon' in my box yesterday and am shocked to see how awful and dry my hands look in this photo... too much hand-washing! lol! I just sent them an email and asked if they could toss in an extra lemon for me next time. :)

PS: walking on air because I did a curbside pick-up at my fav little old Italian market yesterday. yum. :)

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

I sent an email to Misfits Monday. And suspended boxes for a few weeks. I am expecting another box friday but the weather has turned cooler again, so suspect it might be fine. Won't stay that way.

I think perhaps we are too far away for produce delivery in warm weather. If the box were sent in 2 days, it might be okay, and that might be a Fed Ex issue. Even so, that won't change anytime soon.

I also explained I had hoped for customization of produce. I'm still not sure why I can customize by adding add-ons, but not make a request for produce. That doesn't make sense to me, as the add-ons are a customization of my box. Oh well.

party_music, I think everyone's hands look dry now, but yours are just fine in the pic : )

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

I know I can't customize orders that I wanted to arrive on Tuesdays, but when I switched to wednesdays, they let me customize. Check if something like that is the problem?

3 years ago

2MD, suspending for a while is a good idea. It costs nothing. later on you can check if customizing happens at that point. That keeps your membership slot. Best to wait it out if we get another round of lock-down in the Fall....(oh please no!😩)

When my alarm went off at 3.58 (it is Thursday? really!?)...I logged on and a message said my box was delivered....my delivery date is Wednesdays. One day late, but no e-mail message at all. No fed-x tracking again. No e-mail that is was on its way. Weird. I told DH the box was delivered while I made next weeks selections. First pick and great list of add-ons. (truffle potato chips😜)

We have not had potatoes chips in months. Except for my oven chips. Homemade crackers.

Could not find the box. They left it way up the driveway by the mailbox. What if it came last night. Or if we were at work? I'm guessing he saw the pups in the yard and did a drop and run so that's ok. With no e-mail tracking we would not have known. Still odd since auxiliary pup#2 barks at all truck traffic including the mailman. (DH was reading outside at the time with the pups in the downstairs garden near the driveway)

Anywho, it is by far the best box ever. Seems extra of everything. Packed properly. All the heavy stuff on the bottom, then a cardboard divider. Then the scallions, celery, fennel, etc, then light delicates on top. One Persian cake has a dent on the end that we cut off anyway. The spaghetti squash has a tiny scuff mark but no real damage to its edible quality. Nothing wilty at all.

First time no pics as DH was already dividing and bagging. Deciding what goes where...upstairs/downstairs. We are now on the same page about sanitizing carefully.

Gorgeous cantaloupe. Very heavy for its size. Not had a good one in some time.

• party_music50
    3 years ago

I'm pouting... I had other things to do and couldn't get to customize my box until just now. 50% of the items were sold out and what really bums me out is that they had choices I've never been offered before. I'm really bored with having to pick from the same list of things. :(

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

My alarm went off at 3:58, and I logged on with the intent of cancelling. Then I saw the suspend option and did that until like August. Didn’t see until now that’s what 2MD did, and I chose to suspend in order to hold my spot in as SD mentioned, in case I change my mind.

Great minds.

• cloudy_christine
    3 years ago

I was there at 4 o'clock yesterday, but no customization for me. But this time I did get to order some good add-ons. That must be when they appear too.

I just hope they don't send me any more carrots or broccoli. I have enough.

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

I forgot to look yesterday. A bunch of things I really wanted were no longer available when I ordered this morning. Artichokes, cauliflower, eggplant... :(

Cloudy, you'll probably get the broccoli. It was still available but was able to avoid it (I like broccoli, I just didn't want more, either.) You may want to check if there are some days you can make customization purchases. I really prefer to have my package arriving on Tuesdays, but I had no customization options for Tuesdays. So, I'm now Wednesdays for delivery.

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

My alarm went off at 3:58, and I logged on with the intent of cancelling. Then I saw the suspend option and did that until like August. Didn’t see until now that’s what 2MD did, and I chose to suspend in order to hold my spot in as SD mentioned, in case I change my mind.

I was afraid of suspending, as it is hard for new members these days to get slotted in. Originally when I signed up I planned on doing that mid-June, when farmers' markets (usually should) open, and some of my own crops start appearing. Good to know that if / when I do suspend, my place should be held...

• cloudy_christine
    3 years ago

Artemis, I did change from Tuesdays to Wednesdays when I saw they only offer customization Wednesdays and after. So I don't know if my area doesn't get it or if it's delayed because they are backed up.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

I initially asked for Tuesdays as I live further away, but they emailed me and changed me to Wednesdays before the first box was sent. No customization of produce - and they now tell me it isn't an option for me. I can do add-ons. Still, this makes no sense to me, but oh well.

As mentioned, I suspended my account for several weeks and sent an email. Their response was that it is not uncommon for the gel packs to thaw completely and become 'room temperature'. For me, this translates to the weather outside, and if the box itself gets as hot, or hotter, sitting inside the Fed-Ex truck. I'll give them a try one more time when it's hotter, and see if it affects the produce. I don't see how it can't have a negative impact, but to what degree, i don't know. Buying produce at the local store, I know it can get past prime during a 10 minute drive home in the back of my car, and even putting in an ice chest, with my own ice packs, I wouldn't drive around for a couple days : )

They also said (though I didn't ask or have this issue) that if the gel pack breaks, just clean off your produce - the gel pack is water and sucrose (sugar water). Wash off with 1 tsp salt per cup of water, lightly scrubbing, then rinse.

I was told customization is currently not available for me. I can do the add-ons.

I am receiving one more box, but the weather is cooler. The shipment notification is the same - just that a shipping label is printed. They are a day later (Thursday), so I'm guessing it'll go out today, and hopefully arrive Saturday.

Regarding the celery - I've a bunch of frozen veg clippings for stock in the freezer (no more room!), and I put mine in the compost bin. I had 5 week old celery from grocery store (non-organic) that was semi-okay for soups, and looked edible compared to the misfits celery. They did not comment on that. The chard was in fact dino kale - I sauteed that, and after some gentle trimming, DH and I each had 2 bites.

I have enjoyed certain aspects of Misfits, and hope this works out in time, as customization, and many of the add-ons, would be fantastic, and I'd pay for the extra shipping without an eye-blink. I just have this feeling the hot weather here will not play nice.

I did add some bittersweet chocolate to this next order - for me, and DH got some chips (not truffle, he'd just eye those suspiciously) (eye roll from me!).

• party_music50
    3 years ago

That's odd that they only allow customization if your order is sent later in the week. They switched mine from Thurs to Friday saying that way I'd receive it on time, but I never get it until Saturday or more usually Monday or Tuesday. lol!

3 years ago

Switched mine back to every other week. Good grief I have a load of veg. We are keeping up with it by freezing mirepoix in half pints or flat packed as the next box comes in....Big two sheet pan roasties last night. Freezer thins a bit then fills again.

30 bucks every two weeks, (including some add-ons), twice a month is fine for now. But my boxes have been much better than most. Not suspending anytime soon.

We still can't get regular grocery delivery slots or curb-side.

• cloudy_christine
    3 years ago

I got an email apologizing for the condition of some things in my first order (I sent photos) and giving me a 10% credit for the one that's coming next week. Also apologizing for how long their response took.

• party_music50
    3 years ago

Misfits just sent me an email saying that the box I was charged for last week and was supposed to receive yesterday or today has been cancelled! Has anyone had this happen before? They gave no reason. :(

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

party, they cancelled my first box (delayed), but they were overwhelmed then. I just checked my delivery status.

This is crazy. First, they did say they'd add a bit more to my box to make up for the issues I'd had the once. It was sent late (I'm scheduled for Wednesdays). But it was picked up on Friday, and still in transit with Fed Ex estimating delivery on Wednesday. That cannot be right, that's 6 days. I realize Fed Ex is backed up, so glad this is to be my last box. Wish I hadn't added canteloup and other perishables to the Add-ons. Even at 4 days, it will suffer in this heat. Looking at the In Transit schedule, normally it would arrive tomorrow at it's current location (that would be 4 days). We'll see.

I'll take photos if anything is well below par, but in my mind, this time it's a Fed Ex issue.

3 years ago

Ugg, so frustrating. I'm re-thinking ordering anything perishable from Fed-x right now. Fortunately the igormet cheese and the salmon and the lobster were a March delivery and arrived fresh/frozen next day.

And I have not ordered at all fed-x recently. Will not.

This should be joy right now. Not photos of bad produce, then dealing with the outcome.

My last box was stuffed and fresh. Will suspend if any issues next week.

• Cotton Yarnz
    3 years ago

Just received my first misfits box and am very pleased.

Three Granny Smith apples, a mango, three Roma tomatoes (in the box), two yellow onions, celery, kale, four potatoes, broccoli, spaghetti squash, a grapefruit, three oranges, and a cucumber.

As add-ons I also received coffee beans and a pound of strawberries. A couple berries were squished (the clamshell popped open), but everything was still cold and otherwise in good condition.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    3 years ago

I received an igourmet box this week, I think it took 2 days to get here and even in the heat it was packed so well everything was still very cold. But I ordered enough to put several hard cheeses in the freezer and won't order again until fall.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

No. Just freaking no. 5 days in transit, and for some reason rather than NJ, it came from GA (which is ever so close to me), so 5 days in transit should not have happened. Why they delayed my shipment and sent it prior to a holiday I don't know. Anyway, I opened the box and given that my stomach has been weak for other reasons, tossed my cookies from the smell - hadn't even seen the produce yet. And it's not as hot as it will be. Don't scroll if you have a weak stomach, please. I ordered add-ons, so for over $50, this is what I got:

Add-on cantaloupe. It was mushy.

I'm assuming broccoli, and yes, the fuzzy stuff is mold.

one of 2 add-on avocados. Mold, cracked open.
    2nd avocado.
    And they were nice enough to send me an extra third. I could not bring myself to touch it. Left it in the box, tossed the box.

That would be a yukon gold. And no, that isn't from heat.

One of 2 mangoes, finger plunged in as it was moosh. So was a second. Almost liquid as the skin moved, and no, I would never consider using that for any purpose. That is far beyond overripe.
    Photo is upside down, but that's lettuce.
    The carrots are floppy soft. They are soaking in water right now. The tops were like that, mostly black, and made a mess everywhere. I thought covid was tough to wash off, but no, rotted lettuce tops are worse, LOL

I stopped taking photos to run to the bathroom again. There was a rotten cucumber too.

I brought the bags of green beans inside, thinking surely they survived. No.

I have some chips that were squished. And a chocolate bar that was melted, and also wet from vegetable rot. Those were also add-ons. Maybe a few chips big enough to eat. Not eating choc soaked with veg rot.

Anyway, that left some little limes which need to mature, 5 yukon golds, a couple apples, and a couple oranges. And the floppy carrots. And honestly, bringing those in and washing the wet rot and mold off of them and the resulting smell... yuck. I admit, my nausea is worse due to other issues, but both the smell and sight would be stomach churning to anyone, I think.

The one thing that would have survived the trip? Organic ginger. Not in the box. I looked thoroughly. I am so very disappointed.

So, I'm sending the photos to Misfits. And cancelling. No produce can survive 4 days, let alone 5. And even 3 days in our heat? The cold pack was hot, and this is not our 'hot' weather yet, so I hold no hope for this. And frankly, if the extra avocado was my 'extra' for the last box, this box was woefully short.

I'm so glad others have this, and they are having no, or fewer issues. I think we are too far away, and the weather is too hot (although GA should have been fine). Sleevendog, I'm utterly grateful yours arrives in good shape given your lack of produce : ) We have lettuce and onions in our garden, and I can get organic locally with curbside.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone with my 'sort of' language or talk of 'cookies' and nausea; I'm just utterly unhappy about this, and will leave my post as is unless asked to alter or remove it : )

• moosemac
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow that is horrible. I got my order Saturday and everythig was lovely. Fortunately my daughter was home to grab the order as we were away. I am sure by Monday night when we got home, it would have been mush. Sorry you got such a crappy order.

• party_music50
    3 years ago

omg, 2many, that is disgusting! I hope they make it up to you!!! I just don't understand why they are expanding their service area so quickly when they aren't even properly handling what they've got. :(

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

I just logged on to unsubscribe and noted they had changed my delivery date a 2nd time. This time without notifying me. Anyway, I'm sad about this, and yes, this time I was not my usual overly nice self, but rather firm and to the point, and I did ask to be reimbursed for the ginger and spoiled foods. I did not make that request last time, and the response I was got was not apologetic, but rather along the lines of it should have been fine, but we'll toss in a bit extra next shipment.

I'd be less upset if I'd not just last week received a large order for raw coffee beans... in 2 days, from Wisconsin. Fed Ex.

3 years ago

WoW. Disgusting beyond belief. I gag so easily with just a protein package under the sink tiny garbage in the bin 4 hours later. (gotta go outside asap). Super stink.

You will get total all investment money back but not the issue. No one should anticipate a fresh box and get that disgusting mess. Gag opening, rot, and anticipation during this time. We need hugs and delight. NOT disgusting rot.

I've not witnessed this yet on the Facebook group. Such crap and moldy. (I don't do Facebook but have it for some minor work/family stuff)...thankful I did keep it open for certain times like this pandemic for example. Just checked it again. No one has had a box like that. And these are group 'friend' type sites, not Misfit controlled that could be 'deleted' bad reviews, etc. So glad you took such great pics. As gross as it was to do, 😩

• cloudy_christine
    3 years ago

That is awful! So sorry this happened to you.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    3 years ago

2MD that is just horrible. They had better reimburse you for everything!!

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

2MD your pictures typically look more delicious. Was the shipping delay with misfits or fedex? Did you look at the expanded tracking details? What day was the box actually picked up by fedex?

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Hi FOAS : ) Valid questions. Yes, I always expand shipping as that gives me a good idea of delivery dates.

I understand delays in shipping, and prior to my box arriving, as stated further above, felt this next would be a Fed Ex issue. I don’t agree with that now.

Timeline:

I joined Misfits Market and understood I’d pay a specific additional cost for cold packaging of perishables due to my location (FL and TN pay $5.50 as opposed to $4.50). I also understood my first order would be delayed by approx. a month due to overwhelming orders. I applied for Tuesdays, which was the earliest day available and got it.

Some days later I received notice Misfits had changed my ship date to Wednesdays. This is well prior to my delayed ship date.

About a week later I received notice an additional charge on top of the first additional charge had been added to all my shipments due to location and packaging. This was unexpected. I do not remember the amount; I do remember thinking it would be worth it if/when I was given the option of requesting produce I cannot get locally. I can’t calculate the amount as I’ve always ordered add-ons.

With each and every shipment, I receive an email from Misfits stating my order has been shipped, with a tracking number. Without exception, it has not been shipped, rather the label has been printed and Fed Ex notified. Fed Ex picks up my box the next day. (To me, packing day is Day 1). Stated on Misfits FAQ page: You’ll receive a shipping email with tracking information when your box is ready to go out. This is usually within 1-2 days.

When Fed Ex picks up my shipment the next day, it takes 2 days to receive the order to my home. This has been a total of 3 days in box.

First 2 orders were during cool weather. 3rd was warm weather but not hot and I had some minor issues. I sent a very nice email explaining 3 days inside a hot box would not work in our area. In short, I was told the box contents of one cold pack would arrive at ‘room temp’, this is normal, and everything should arrive fine. They did say they’d add a few extra items to my next shipment.

My next shipment was delayed by a day – I didn’t know why until I logged in to Cancel after receiving the above box – Misfits had again changed my ship date, another day later, to Thursdays, but did not notify me of this change – I previously thought this was a Fed Ex issue. I received notice my latest box was “packed and shipped” on Thursday. It was picked up Friday.

This is where I take issue with Misfits rather than Fed Ex. Why give someone who lives further away, is paying two extra shipping charges, a later ship date? Twice. Why change this date prior to a National Holiday when, unless you live under a rock, you know ship times will be delayed due to increased traffic? So, my shipment took 6 days to arrive. 1 day awaiting pick-up, 4 days in transit (due to National Holiday traffic), an extra day sitting in Fed Ex warehouse due to National Holiday.

On Misfit’s site, they have stated in the past that during National holidays they do not make deliveries the days just prior, and they change the delivery dates of those who will be affected by shipping times. I’ve read this in two areas. This was in my latest email from Misfits: “I've checked the tracking information on your delivery and your order appears to have been delayed in transit. We never want our boxes to be in transit for this long due to the negative impact it can have on the quality of your produce.” Well, neither do I. When a company deliveries perishable food, they should make alterations to ship dates to take into account, as stated on their website.

So yes, unusual times, but we are all acutely aware of this. Cost went up for me unexpectedly. My ship dates were changed, twice.

I requested reimbursement of only the rotten/ruined items. Misfits has reimbursed me in full.

Sorry this is so long, but previously the info was given in bits and pieces (by me, by Misfits), which causes confusion. Again, I think those living in closer proximity have good success for the most part.

3 years ago

Still, referring to the rotten produce, no mater what happened, I have compost from two weeks ago, hanging outside my kitchen door on a hook that does not look that bad. My kitchen container over my prep area has a couple days of scraps from mostly misfit produce delivered two weeks ago and am still going through. We had an avocado from last Thursdays delivery last night. The second one is ripe and ready today.

That rotten box appears to have been packed two weeks ago, sat in the sun, boxed opened, then packed with add-ons.

You deserve a box sent free no question. That would be good business. Even if you were refunded fully. And even after canceling. (for the frustration alone and the puke factor)

No question it is a misfit AND fed-x issue combined. And a covid problem.

Just cut the cantaloupe delivered the 21st. And pulled out of the crisper for the pic from the same box. Still have a full celery and had the potatoes and Brussels. Two giant sweet potatoes still firm. All very fresh. Carrots from two weeks ago still fresh.

Then I get this notice this morning. An unfamiliar delivery service LC (?) never heard of them.

First time in two months my box is coming on time. Today.

Why I switched to every other week. We are not going through it fast enough. (getting some veg from the wholesaler like the tomatoes and local radish, golden beets)

3 years ago

Our covid numbers in NY are way down. A mask is mandatory and we are not open for business yet. Baby steps. Some parts of the country are still going up not taking it serious. Perhaps delivery services are loosing workers, so it is hard to process packages and deliver on time.

Even businesses allowed to open safely are sticking to no-contact since it has been working so well and less employee stress. They are getting big tips for their service and so appreciated by us and other customers.

• party_music50
    3 years ago

I agree that they should send 2many a nice box of stuff - gratis.

sleeve, I had something sent to me via Lasership last year... the pkg was lost in their system in Rochester for several weeks. I think I finally received it 4 - 5 weeks after it was shipped. The fact that yours made it out for delivery is impressive. lol!

3 years ago

Just delivered this minute in a nice citizen type family car. Seems LC is hiring to help make things right.

• party_music50
    3 years ago

I think it's how they operate -- hiring some Joe off the street who is willing to deliver pkgs locally -- I received a few pkgs this past winter in horrible weather from some girl in her plain white SUV. :p

3 years ago

This is the way it should arrive. Ice pack still half frozen. Fresh, no BS. Maybe one wilted revivable I can deal but not this time. They did substitute my add-on organic avocado oil with canola that I don't use but it is expeller-pressed non GMO. Perfectly acceptable.

The delivery person was wearing a mask and respectably of retired age in a really nice SUV. So perhaps taking on a job to help out or some extra cash. Might have family members out of work.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Wow, every bit of that looks perfect.

I live in a subtropical climate, so perhaps that's 'what did in' my produce, along with the long ride in hot Fed Ex trucks. Mine was 'done in', a bit on the 3rd box, and a lot on the last. Yours took 3 days from inception too, though, just like my first 3. My first 3 were in 'not hot' weather. It was the 3rd where I started having some issues.

I don't think they'll be sending me another box, gratis.

Odd thing is, if I'm paying extra for the packing - hot climate packing, what am I paying for? The first box had the thick brown paper insulation (found it, in the garage, forgot to toss, and am going to use the brown stuff as a walkway for my veg garden) you all have spoken of. And an ice pack, melted, not cold. The 2nd had the clear plastic stuff with what looks like cotton insulation in it. One ice pack, also melted, not cold (maybe that's what I'm paying for?). The 3rd had the brown paper again, one ice pack, melted. And this last had the plastic insulation again, one ice pack - melted and iterelly warm.

Anyway, I won't revisit again this summer, but if I wish, perhaps this fall. It would be nice if I could choose, or try to choose, and receive nice produce. OTOH, perhaps I won't.

I have to stop looking at that beautiful produce. Darn.

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

My box was a day late, and certain items were disgusting. Okay, most of the fruit was salvageable (not the strawberries, they are hell on wheels). Both lettuce types were falling apart - I can understand red leaf lettuce, but the iceberg? I did save most of the iceberg and much of the leaf. Some of this is actually okay to go to the chickens, which they'll get within the hour.

The strawberries? The package ruptured open, and whether strawberries stayed in the container or went rolling around into the cilantro or lettuce... they're mostly rotten. Quick trip to the compost pile. (I have taken photos to send to Misfits.) The chickens won't even get to eat those.

Whether it was the strawberry leakiness running into that herb, or the bad packaging (non-existent) for the cilantro, this has to be used - the parts that are usable - within 24 hours. PS I took a taste of cilantro, and this was pretty flavorless to begin with. You can usually tell by aroma.

ABSOLUTE WORST MISFITS PACKAGE EVER HERE. Not even the chickens will get the strawberries, which was the main hope I had for this delivery for my own use.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

I'm so sorry artemis_ma. I know the disappointment. I've twice received produce that they should not have sent, including in my last rotted box - I'm talking about produce that was bad before the rot. My packaging was poor the last 2 boxes, with crush. I look at Sleeve's box above in wonderment.

I understand these are abnormal times. But I know other internet companies are making adjustments. I don't wish to denigrate Misfits, but my opinion sorta is: My shipments have always come from NJ, and this latest came for GA (can't remember where), and I feel they might have expanded, too quickly. They should cut back and stop new orders, rather than trying to expand and add more customers (and make more money); they need to concentrate on understanding the limits of their packaging to certain areas, how to improve packing, how to guide the employees in packing, among other things. They need to contact customers if they make changes to shipment dates - but really they should not change dates - people get a schedule, and like to stay with that. I still have no idea what my extra charges for cold packaging include. To me, this is such a shame. I feel they provided and wonderful service, and now they are lacking.

3 years ago

That is just wrong on so many levels. I know I've said this before, but this is a time for comfort and a delivery without stress. Should be a celebration to have a no-contact veg box and no need to stress grocery shopping. I have protein in the freezer. A bit of veg, organic, gives me a 'chef challenge'.

DH took the compost out this morning and said how disgusting any veg delivered should not look like that. (he is way behind composting). Most is used in pup food. But would not use any rot for them.

Beyond what they claim, a shipping carbon footprint is such a disaster waste. Shipping crap is such a waste. Note the disaster and fix it.

Not at all boasting, but what I have is the way it should be. Cilantro from 5-21, 8 days ago I'm using tonight. On the left in the pic. The delivery yesterday in the jar with fresh water, on the right, should be good for another week. (I rinse and give fresh water twice a day, the fridge with a bag cover). But if it suck*d from the get go ....pissed.

They are in big trouble and will hear from me.

This was never about 'old' produce. It was supposed to be about 'fresh' produce that needs a home. NEVER old produce.

Bull Sh+t.

• party_music50
    3 years ago

I actually got my box yesterday, on their designated delivery day!!! It's been unusually hot for us here, and there was only one ice-pack in the box and it was tepid, but all the produce looks fine except for one nasty leave on the leaf lettuce. They sub'd vine tomatoes for the Roma I ordered, and that's dandy. This is the first box I've had that contained no fruit!

3 years ago

Probably because they are down in membership as so many are canceling, 😂

My alarm went off at 3.48 Thursday to make selections but I switched to every other week. I'll miss my weekly chocolate bar. And a treat bag of chips. Excellent potato chips. Just a little 99cent bag. (we don't stock snacks)

Need to go through produce from 2-3 weeks ago. Winter squashes, carrots, radishes, etc. Celery. Need to make a big batch of mirepoix for the freezer.

• moosemac
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I received my order on my designated delivery day for the first time in a couple months. Everything was bright and fresh with the exception of the cilantro which I had to sort through stem by stem to salvage. Box had two ice packs which were both still half frozen.

I am on a weekly delivery schedule for the small box which works out great for the six of us.

The times I have had issues I have emailed pictures and they have issued a partial credit to my credit card but I have not received any correspondence back form them. The credit just appears. LOL

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    3 years ago

Need to make a big batch of mirepoix for the freezer.

Can you actually freeze mirepoix without the celery getting icky? If you can, than I am very excited right now.

3 years ago

Yes, it works great. I usually only do this the week or two before the thanksgiving holidays. But have been doing this at least every few weeks during covid.

On the plan for tonight as well as some master stock but running out of steam. I checked my crisper drawer and all is still fresh so putting off another day. Tomorrow. Or I might start stock to simmer overnight.

I loosely chop an onion or two. Pulse in my cuisinart. Mince not mush. Dump into a enamel cast iron with butter and a bit of oil. Then do the same with celery, carrot, poblano, garlic or what you like for mirepoix/sofrito. (I have a couple leeks I need to use up).

Don't stir right away. Let the onions get going on medium heat. Then low and slow. Will give off lots of moisture on its own. Don't need to go full caramelization. Just low and slow transparent veg. Keep an eye on it and check your crisper drawer for any other things that need using up. Put a lid on it and turn down to low heat. If it gets a bit dry add some white wine or stock or just plain water. Let it steam. It should be damp/wet, not watery. Lid off and let cool down. Flat pack quart zip locks or pint/1/2 pint containers.

I have two full organic celery bunches I need to use. I'll save the inner hearts with the leaves wrapped in damp p-towels. (they last forever for salads, etc)

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    3 years ago

Thanks for this tip. I hate to waste any veggies and this is a great idea! At first I thought you were freezing them raw but I see you cook them first and that makes sense.

• party_music50
    3 years ago

I just remembered it was time to order and WOW, I've never seen choices like these before! TONS of fruit!!! :)

• moosemac
    Original Author
    3 years ago

party_music50,

Love the fruit selection this time. I can't wait for the apricots and plums!

DD just called to say this week box was delivered. I'll give an updated report once I get home.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs