SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ronald_ramsey_jr_

New Atlanta Home Build

J G
3 years ago

Hi, all.

Before I start I want to thank everyone for the feedback they give and support they give everyone here.

https://imgur.com/a/zIW0jlE for reference to the below.

Ok, so this is going to be a bit long winded, but here goes. I bought a neglected and decaying house in a, now, rapidly gentrifying area in Atlanta in 2018 and I just tore it down. It sits across a park on a hill with a new charter school and YMCA on the other side of the park. It also connects to the Beltline and the new upcoming Westside Park that will be the biggest park in Atlanta, eclipsing Piedmont Park. It also is one of very few properties left in Atlanta that has an alley access. Down the line I plan on building an ADU for rental income and they can have their own car access to the property.

After tearing the house down, the land is now worth 3X what I paid.

I am looking to build my somewhat 'forever home' on the plot, but there are some challenges. The things that I love about the property also have their downsides. The foundation of the old home sat 3 stories above the street level and back about 50 ft. A lot of the lot is pretty much unusable at the front because of the very steep incline. This incline is kind of forcing me to have 12ft ceilings in order to have the main level sit somewhat flush with my neighbors. I plan on going into the hill on the front of the property with a garage (car break ins are up everywhere in the city).

Another thing: I plan on doing a modern build. An additional thing that drew me to this property was that it is the only neighborhood in the Beltline overlay that doesn't have a code for 'look and feel'. Every home on my street, while bungalows, are of a different style and use different materials (Craftsman, New England, Traditional, Prairie). I want to use aluminum paneling and perforated aluminum paneling on the exterior. The neighborhood has a relation to trees so I was hoping to add texture and interest with the perforated aluminum panels that will look like abstract trees from a distance where the grey is on the rendering.

A lot of people hate moderns (some times with good reason), but I personally love them and at the end of the day, I'm the one who has to pay the mortgage on it. Going back into the hill and using darker aluminum paneling for the recessed areas will provide the optical illusion that the house is smaller than it is, with it only being about a story and a half above the neighboring houses.

That said, I want to make sure I don't have blinders on and wanted to get feedback from others before submitting to an architect. I whipped these floor plans and renderings up in Chief Architect. Thoughts on layout, materials, etc. are all welcome.

Specific questions:

• I plan on building with ICFs and using fiberglass rebar and beams. Are there any particular things I should look out for / push for when talking with my contractor?
  • Continuing with ICFs, has anyone used the flooring molds for a roof deck before? Any challenges or advice?
  • Kids are probably not in the cards for me, but I also need to have a home that will A) be attractive to a family for resale purposes and B) offers more than the 'luxury apartments' going up everywhere so that I can rent out a room or two to friends. Are the secondary bedrooms too big? And if so, how would you rearrange them? Is there away to get an additional bedroom in on that floor?
  • It requires a lot of engineering, but it has been done before: garages over basements. Anyone have any experience with these and any suggestions? I would really like space for a large gym and sauna (for personal reasons and to entice friends).

If you're still with me, thanks for sticking through this long winded read! Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.

Comments (18)