SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_163074541

Schefflera Arboricola Variegata shedding leaves

HU-163074541
3 years ago

Hello all,

I've been following the house plants forum for a while now and learned a lot already from my visits, but now I have an actual issue with one of my plants, so here's my first post :)

I've had this Schefflera Arboricola Variegata for a while now, I believe a year or two, maybe three. I've repotted it last summer into a terracotta pot using a gritty type mix of pine bark, pumice, seramis (fired clay granulate) and lava rock. It's been doing quite well and has been pushing new growth, especially during spring, but throughout the winter as well. Here is a picture of the current soil:

It did have some bugs (thrips, I believe) some months ago, which I treated with what I think was a pyrethrin based spray. I've not recently seen any bugs on it, so the treatment appears to have worked. The leaves are still quite shiny and sticky, though, since the treatment...

The plant receives quite a bit of light. I live in The Netherlands and it is standing right up against a southern exposed window which receives full sun in the morning, but the sun gets blocked during the afternoon by part of our house, so it's in full shade from roughly 1PM onwards.

I water the plant every few days, maybe twice a week. I water until a significant amount of water flows through the drainage hole. I dispose of the drained water after a few minutes, so it doesn't sit in a pool of water for very long. I fertilize using a synthetic fertilizer (NPK 8-3-7) at half strength. I've not been too consistent with my timing w.r.t. fertilization. I'd say I fertilize maybe every 3rd or 4th watering?

The issue I have now is that quite a few leaves are turning yellow and being shed. These are mostly lower/older leaves, but some of the younger ones as well. Her is a picture of some of the dropped leaves:

One thing I noticed is that the lower leaves appear to have started to point downwards more and more. I have to say I'm not quite sure if this is new though...This picture show it quite well:

To be honest, I'm not quite sure if this is an actual problem, or just part of the normal life cycle of the Schefflera, but the number of dropped leaves is significant (new ones each day). Hopefully someone here has some ideas and/or tips? Any help would be appreciatedand I'd be happy to provide additional information, of course :)

Best regards,

Leander

Some additional bonus pictures:

Comment

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus