SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinn_yule

Bumps on stem of rooting umbrella plant

Quinn Yule
8 years ago

Last week I took a foot long cutting of an old massive umbrella plant that we have growing in my office. The mother plant is very healthy considering the complete lack of attention it gets. I took off the lower branches used rooting hormone, and stuck the plant about half way into an African violet mix. It has about 11 branches with very healthy leaves. I live in northern alberta which is very cold and dry and our days are down to about 10 hours right now. I am keeping it under a plastic bag on a dish of water (not touching the soil), and pointing a plant light towards it to keep the warmth and humidity high. I am also misting it daily with room tempurature water. It hasn't wilted or had any leaf loss, however when I got home today I noticed these small beige bumbs on the stem, is this some sort of parasite? Possibly scales? Please if I could get any insight on the identification of these bumps I would appreciate your help. I have a lot of trouble with tropical plants because of my climate but the mother has done so well in my cold, drafty office. P.s. the bumps on the leaves in the second picture are just water droplets from misting.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths