Good grief - flour shortage!
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (134)
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Discussions
Projected sugar shortage news
Comments (16)Ah, I've never heard of krauting the whole cabbage. My Polish grandmother just used to use boiled cabbage (and tomato soup, which I'm sure she didn't learn from her mother!) to make her golumbki (sp?). As with all of her *own* recipes, she never wrote it down (though she had envelopes full of clippings, and recipe cards from friends) so I'm trying to recreate it, but I use tomato sauce. I was lucky enough to write down how she made (incl. rough measurements) blueberry buckle when I was a teenager, and found a couple of partial recipes for her Xmas stollen that I used as guides, reconstructed (they called for slightly different proportions of flour and liquid, one for cream, one for milk) so I make those each year. Turkey wars are starting - now Stop and Shop has turkey (limit 1) for 99 cents/lb, or 47 cents with $25 of other groceries. Canned cranberry sauce is under a dollar, but fresh cranberries vary from 2 for $3 (yeah! at Big Y this week) to 2 for $5 (S&S)....See MoreEggo shortage, I don't get it!
Comments (63)LOL, Bubbe. In the past I've milked the cow, boiled sap for syrup and I still bake my own bread for toast. I draw the line at growing the wheat though. I have purchased some from a neighbor occasionally, but one the the local "agri-tourism" places has an old mill and I can buy grains freshly ground. I've never eaten an Eggo waffle. The Monkey Princess loved the ones with a picture of Hannah Montana on them, and I think that was an Eggo brand, but I think it had nothing to do with flavor. Bruvver is an eating machine and will eat anything that won't bite back, and maybe some things that will, so I'm not asking him. I have my VillaWare waffle iron that bakes waffles in the shape of pigs, cows, chickens and barns. When I make waffles I make extra and freeze them, the grandkids happily eat them toasted but again, I don't think it has anything to do with flavor, it has to do with wanting to "eat a cow" or whatever. Amanda also makes extra, but she usually just keeps them in the refrigerator and they're gone in a couple of days. Her family likes breakfast for supper or lunch, so she'll warm up the leftover pancakes, make some sausage and the kids have lunch the next day. I also freeze pancakes and french toast and muffins because I don't like the "white flour" versions as well as I like the whole grain versions. Can't get the Princess to eat those either, anything that "brown" is suspect, as is anything with something green in it, like zucchini bread. Put syrup on it and Bruvver would eat a fence post! I am absolutely never going to buy those frozen pb&j sandwiches, though, that's just gone too far. Who can't make a pb&j? Annie...See MoreFlour Storage problems
Comments (18)rgreen48 - If you are using glass storage containers in the freezer, it's best to use tempered glass, like canning jars, which are designed to be used in the freezer. Place the jars inside a sturdy plastic basket and put cardboard between the jars so they don't knock against each other. I've had a glass jar shatter in the freezer and there's nothing less fun to clean-up. Not all glassware is designed to be used in the freezer, and the rubber gaskets may split/crack when stored at freezer temperature. I'd use the ceramic containers for kitchen/pantry storage since they are air-tight, not the freezer. sally2_gw- You are correct about fat and plastic. It's one of the reasons people should avoid storing bulk dry goods in used plastic pails they get from bakeries/restaurants that contained any type of fatty ingredient - like frosting, shortening, etc. We have recycled 50-gallon plastic food shipping containers and even after 8-years of being used as rain barrels, you can still smell the former fatty contents of the containers. Fat actually bonds to the plastic and is impossible to remove completely. At some point, under the right conditions, the bonded fat will go rancid and the rancid smell can affect whatever is stored in the pails or plastic containers. -Grainlady...See MoreWhat's your take on the flour shortage?
Comments (52)I'm not sure Lars. This was a big story this morning here demanding hazard pay and proper safety gear...masks, etc. I'm up early, usually 3am. Nurses are walking off work after asked to ignore CDC safe practices they have followed for years. In my immediate area I have not witnessed anyone without a mask. All deliveries are gloved and wearing masks. DH filled both our cars with gas with a bag over his hand 10 days ago and noted the two inside employees were wearing masks. We use Clorox wipes on everything....credit card, car door handle, steering wheel, door handle coming inside, straight to the sink with lots of soap. (he did not go inside the 'mini mart'.) just wanted to fill our cars. it is just 2 miles up the road. Mailman who I adore, is doing double duty. He was up the road Sunday and twice today. Our front liners want to get to us what we need. ALL needed employees are wearing masks. UV is not enough outside no mater how hot the sun. Do both. Spray or wipe first, Clorox correct dilution, or alcohol. dry in the sun spinning along a table...soapy soap in a bowl or sink. Rinse. What can be soaped. Please watch what we are going through in NYC. You can make a difference in your community. Proactive. I am 18 days indoors, DH 10. this is serious....See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agocarolb_w_fl_coastal_9/10 thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

FEEL-GOOD HOME21 Ways to Waste Less at Home
Whether it's herbs rotting in the fridge or clothes that never get worn, most of us waste too much. Here are ways to make a change
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMESimple Pleasures: Make Do and Mend
Experience the satisfaction of fixing, repurposing and creating things yourself around the home
Full Story
SHELTERING AT HOME15 Essentials for the Baker’s Kitchen
You can turn out delicious home-baked goods with ease when you own these utensils, tools and pans
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGHow to Relax and Put Housework in Its Place
If household disarray is making you stressed and unhappy, try approaching it with a different point of view
Full Story
LIFEDo You Live in Your Childhood House?
Tell us about the home you grew up in — whether you live there now or not — and share your pictures!
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGEWalk-In Pantries vs. Cabinet Pantries
We explore the pros and cons of these popular kitchen storage options
Full Story
MOST POPULAR4 Obstacles to Decluttering — and How to Beat Them
Letting go can be hard, but it puts you more in control of your home's stuff and style. See if any of these notions are holding you back
Full Story
BOOKSCan Tidying Up Result in Life-Changing Magic?
Organizing phenom Marie Kondo promises big results — if you embrace enormous changes and tough choices
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN11 Must-Haves in a Designer’s Dream Kitchen
Custom cabinets, a slab backsplash, drawer dishwashers — what’s on your wish list?
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGGot a Disastrously Messy Area? Try Triage
Get your priorities straight when it comes to housekeeping by applying an emergency response system
Full Story
Olychick