SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Life and Death amid a Pandemic

Funkyart
4 years ago

While this pandemic has changed so many aspects of our lives, there are things that keep carrying on with or without the pandemic. I lost my father yesterday morning after a traumatic head injury on Friday. The one thing I am so thankful for as I begin the process of healing is the outreach of those around me-- despite the covid restrictions.

I will freely say with no shame or regret that my family gathered these last few days. I could not ask my mother, my siblings.. or myself to go through what we did without hugs. Thankfully the hospital made exceptions for us and allowed us to gather-- and stay through the night with my father. Our temps were taken, masks provided to those who didn't have "approved" masks.

My parents have a huge wrap around porch where family gathered yesterday to celebrate his life.. this was not something that could have been replaced with a zoom meeting. Honestly, we never considered it. I am so glad for that time as all through the day, friends and neighbors walked by and shared their condolences and memories from a very safe 10 or more feet. I was so touched.. and comforted by the kind words from the people my dad has touched over the 50+ years they lived in their community.

I am also grateful that earlier this week we broke the rules again to celebrate my dad's 79th Birthday. It meant so much to him to be able to spend the day with his children. I had the opportunity to have a long talk with him-- and while we could not/did not hug, he knew he was very much loved.

I share this partly because before this week, I suspect I'd have been very judgmental of others doing the same. However, none of us in my immediate family even considered anything else. We did ask before hugs but not a single soul expressed hesitation or concern. I will not gather frivolously or go anywhere else without a mask but I have come to realize that we need to trust ourselves to make the best decision for ourselves as we navigate these crazy times. We need to find a balance between safety and human needs.

We will postpone his catholic funeral.. and a community memorial until a time when we can more safely gather with friends and extended family.

Comments (97)