Is this a Cowbird egg?

catherinet

I have a shelter logic shed for my golf cart. Recently I found this nest built on one of the upper supports of the shed. Today I saw that it was a phoebe's nest. I got a picture with my phone from above it, and this is what I found. Of course I immediately assumed it was a cowbird's egg, but I've never seen them so bluish-green. Do any other birds do that? I'm thinking they don't. Can cowbird eggs vary in color like that? I hope I don't scare the phoebe away with my coming and going out of the shed. As she flew out of the shed to a nearby tree, I told her she has nothing to fear from me, but I'm not sure she was listening. :)

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gyr_falcon

There is quite a bit of color variation for cowbird eggs. But cuckoos are also brood parasites. I believe cuckoos have a broader variation of color, with some leaning towards matching to the eggs in the nest to a greater degree (depending upon host bird).

Save    
catherinet

Thanks gyr_falcon. I haven't been hearing any cuckoos yet this spring, but I have seen cowbirds, so I guess I'll assume it's a cowbird egg. Thanks again for your info.

Save    
Old Forester ( Zones 8a-6a ) Ga/NC

Should the cowbird egg be pitched or left alone ?

Save    
gyr_falcon

Unless you have a special permit to do so, it is illegal to remove the egg. Cowbirds are not an introduced species. Whether you follow the law or not is not my call; I'm just passing along info.

Save    
whwo

Our native cuckoos rarely parasitize the nests of other species. It's more common intraspecifically. In addition, both Black-billed and Yellow-billed cuckoos have eggs that are unmarked. Thus, this is a Brown-headed Cowbird egg and as already stated, should be left alone.

Save    
catherinet

Thanks everyone.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Regional Garden Guides Delight in Summer’s Garden Glories — Here’s What to Do in June
Wherever you live in the United States, these guides can help you make the most of your summer garden
Full Story
Life Be a Citizen Scientist to Help Wildlife, Learn and Have Fun Too
Track butterflies, study birds, capture stars ... when you aid monitoring efforts, you’re lending Mother Nature a hand
Full Story
Gardening Guides Backyard Birds: How to Care for American Goldfinches
The American goldfinch is a bright-in-the-summer visitor and one of the only vegetarian songbirds. Here's how to give them a healthy habitat
Full Story
As a decorator, I am able to see things from my clients perspective and design to meet their needs. Style Savvy... Read More
Old-style customer service is our top priority. We’ve been in business since 1994 – over 2 decades serving... Read More