SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bridget_bb

Cowbird egg in GCFC nest???

bridget_bb
15 years ago

We've been very cautious about checking the flycatcher's nest as some of you know.... they're easily spooked. It has been really hard to see what's what with the unique nesting style they have!

As of Saturday - there were at least 3 eggs in there....(never were too sure if there were 4 it was just so hard to see....) Checked today and the view was a lot clearer so I was able to see 4 eggs. At first I was thrilled but as I looked again I realized one looks different to the others... while it is similar at first glance, it's slightly smaller, a different shade (though a shade that could also be a GCFC egg - Sialis site shows a nest with 4 GCFC eggs of one color and one odd like this...) BUT what makes us wonder if it is a cowbird egg is the speckles are smaller, more like dots than what I call 'smudged dots!'

The GCFC egg is the one with the brown smudge type dots...(left) What do you think about the other one? Would you agree probably a cowbird or just an odd GCFC egg? We know how it goes with cowbird babies, so.... we're concerned. Opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz