SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Cleaning mavens

mtnrdredux_gw
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My cleaning lady is still stuck visiting family in Brazil. Her back up, who has cleaned for me several times, tells me she is cleaning people's homes again. I'm not ready to cry uncle yet, although I am skeptical of the likelihood of getting the virus from surfaces. IMHO if we all kept to one area of the house until she was gone, or better still stayed outside most of the day, I think the risk is very low.

That said, I am kind of into cleaning. I have bought myself shiny new tools and products. One thing I having an issue with is mop refills for the Mr Clean mop she uses. My cleaning lady had free reign to choose products and I merely followed orders. But it looks like these mop heads are discontinued. I have been waiting for an order from Amazon (3rd party) for forever.

Now I am wondering if I want something else. Most of our first floor is hardwood. (Carlisle random width pine). We do have some travertine in one area, and a mud tile in the vestibule.But my primary concern is the copious amounts of hardwood. Carlisle says the following: "Carlisle floors can be cleaned with a mild solution of vinegar and water. Avoid excessive water sitting on the surface of the floor. We do not endorse the use of steam mops/vacuums."

What mop would you buy to use primarily with vinegar and water to mop large areas of hardwood?

Bonus question - would you buy a steam mop for tile areas? Most of our tile in in the bathrooms; how well do steam mops maneuver in small spaces and around fixtures?

Comments (60)