SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Silver linings in the covid storm

Annie Deighnaugh
4 years ago

While this virus has caused terrible deaths and devastation for so many people, I do like to notice the changes that are positive in this new way of living. I find it helps me cope and adjust as we'll be living with this virus for a long time to come.

There have been lots of reports at how good the stay at home has been for the environment, especially notable in the air quality, but even that the earth is shaking less as a result of the reduced human activity.

I've found myself checking up on friends and family more often than I used to. And now that they too are locked down at home, they're available and can talk! They're not chock a block with appointments and things to drive kids to, etc. I've had some of my best conversations with friends these last several weeks that I've had in a long time.

I always walked and hiked, but now I find many others outside as well, working in their yards or going for walks too, so it's given me an opportunity to meet neighbors I never met before...at a safe distance, of course.

My car now gets 3 weeks to the gallon, and when I do buy gas, it's cheaper than it's been in decades.

I've done a number of jigsaw puzzles which I haven't done in a long time, and making face masks has got me running my sewing machine again which I hadn't used in awhile...not to mention digging through my fabric stash, and being grateful for my Mom who was kind enough to leave me with things like elastic to use on the masks.

DH is baking more and am I. We have tried a few recipes we were always meaning too and never did. I'm currently debating about sour dough starter and if I want to enter that days long process for fun and loafing.

I find myself appreciating spring even more than usual as, while our life isn't normal, Mother Nature's cycle still is...weasels, and birds and muskrats and more have been gracing our property and hikes are revealing spring wildflowers which are a special treasure to find. I find myself too appreciating even more where we live, thankful that I could "go home again" to where I grew up. My childhood memories of being here are so comforting to me.

What about you...are you finding silver linings?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022