SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_parrish

Help! Lighting assistance for Kitchen Island and Bathroom Vanity

Ellen Parrish
4 years ago

Desperate! Need help with lighting for a 12' island and vanity lighting in the bath. We are building with another couple (my cousin) a rental/vacation/retire-one-day home. Getting near the end, and the cabinets she designed with our cabinetry company are installed. I'm still trying to find some countertops in the under $60 a sq ft range (they exist, and I could go to 70 on the island if they others were lower - if anyone knows some lower picks among the main guys out there that's my other problem) but my real quandary is the lighting.

In the kitchen (I have cabinet drawings attached) there is a row of canned lighting between the island (shows in picture)

and the perimeter cabinets, as well as two rows of lighting in the open living area on the other side. Hubby and I really love to cook, so the island lighting should be functional for us, but we have 8' high ceilings, and a husband who is 6'. (A son who is 6'4", but if he's in the kitchen it's at the refrigerator.) The cabinets are a basic mission look in SW Distance on the island and BM Ultra White on the perimeter ones, the floor is Lowe's Smart Core Ultra in Blue Ridge Pine, and the walls are SW Crushed Ice throughout at the moment. I love the look of the larger pendants, however with ceiling height and "hubby height" I'm not sure what I can do that will work without being in the way. I don't mind being bold - I think?

Bathrooms are irregular and so I'm in a tailspin there now as well. Walls again are SW Crushed Ice, and the cabinets are SW Tradewind. The bath is tiled with Ocean Honed Marble Mosaic from Floor and Decor. I don't see sconces as being possible with the configuration as is, though I love them. I'm thinking with the rental aspect (the upper tall tower is locked for us) perhaps a mirror over the sink area with floating shelves??? to the side. I was looking at LED lighted mirrors but I think I'll wait until I can shop those a little more closely. We have an overhead light/bathroom fan and that's it at the moment. The budget is getting tighter as we close in, I'm not looking to go crazy in the bathroom - all that can change out later - so something a little "fun" in there is fine. Mainly we will get ready in there and I hope to see myself semi-realistically.

I am more looking for overall placement and styles that could work. If you have specific suggestions that I can get hold of fairly quickly (i.e. probably box stores, Amazon, etc.) that works of course, but I really more want the lighting itself to not be off. How bright, how high, how large, what style LOOKS would work well. As a lake house, our styles are a bit of a mix of coastal and farmhouse, with nothing too kitschy or trendy. (I know, no one says "ooh, give me some kitschy stuff. I'm just saying.) My husband is a commercial superintendent - he is AWESOME at throwing up canned lights, building decks, framing houses, etc. He is NOT helpful in choosing lighting, and if anything slightly less patient than other husbands because his clients have architects and designers. He's creative, but someone else tells him if the lighting will be crappy for makeup, you know? Oh - neither he nor I like the lights on a bar idea, but if I'm wrong tell me so - I've been wrong before. Many times, lol.

It probably makes NO difference, but I threw in our concept for the outside paint and guest bath if it helps give the style of the house. Or shows that we haven't nailed one down. I don't know. Exterior colors are Saybrook Sage and Dove White, Benjamin Moore both, and the deck is Behr Semi-transparent Cordovan Brown and the Ceilings in Cabot Semi-Transparent Sun Drenched Oak.
I'm SO sorry for all the rambling - I'm trying to include anything pertinent. We have an electrician waiting to install. The only thing we've been told we can't do (by hubby) is sconces on the side walls. The wires are ready to be pulled for anything on the main wall though. And really, truly thank you to anyone who can help. I have looked at all the measurements, added and divided to see where they go, how high the rules say, etc. - but what I can't do is see it in my head. Example pics would help tremendously for me along with placement advice and anything about bulbs or types or lumens? See - I can only pretend to know so long. But this is the first time I've wandered over to actually ask my OWN question, so I've been trying. Please be gentle :)

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I literally looked at over 800 pendants here on Houzz (and elsewhere) before I made up my mind. here's a size guide

really don't know what you like, so it's best if you start an idea book here on Houzz and save the pics of pendants that you like.

As for countertops, you could do a pre fab on the perimeter. (best to go w/slab on the island since it's so long) pre fabs average about 500 bucks for a 9X24" piece. Exotics are a bit higher. But you could find all types of quartz or marble in the 500 range. then you hire a fabricator to cut it to your dimensions. You for sure could do a 6' prefab (or even a remnant) in the bathroom. I'd go talk to a fabrication yard and see what leftovers they have.
    so here's the prefabs at my local stone/tile place

This is a pre fab called Ice jade. it would be nice w/your bathroom

this Serena runs about 2200 for the slab.

maybe you could pair it w/this for the island

or even this fusion.

Cielo Blue. this is leathered, I think. polished looks similar to the one above

A porcelain slab could prob do that entire island w/o any cuts.

This is Calacatta porcelain and the cost was 2K for the slab. it's beautiful in person

if you want cheap, a solid white quartz would be the way to go

As for that cheap marble from floor and decor, no way I would put that in the shower. no way. use a porcelain or ceramic in the shower. you can do the marble on the floor if you like, or behind the sink. Do the entire wall behind the sink, and get a nice framed mirror.

but in the shower? nope. too much of an upkeep. That's a cheaper marble that will discolor over time. and if you dye your hair, forget about it. it will stain.

if you want a farmhouse look, there are much better looking tiles to choose from.

I did this blue/gray tile for a client. it's beautiful and would match your vanity.

Or? choose a porcelain tile that looks like marble.

large white hex tile in the shower. mosaic tile shower floor

• Ellen Parrish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Marble is done - bought already and could possibly already be installed. I was showing for what we were using, sorry. We don't dye our hair at home, though that could be worrisome in a rental. I suppose that's what the insurance will be for. It's not for flooring, it's the surround for a very large tub. I read a lot of reviews on it, and we are hoping as it's not in a shower we will be fine.

I will work at an idea book (had to figure out how to delete an old one) but we are realistically going to be done with the house period in about 30 days. When I am back on my tablet I have pics saved I can upload. So I need to get these purchased and to our electrician soon. I do like the cage style lights and the drum ones as well, but I'm really and truly very open. I'm not seeing the round ones in our kitchen personally. Something abstract is fine as well if it fits. I like seeded glass. I have no idea what materials I could use or directions I could go beyond more brushed nickel or wood. More particularly I am looking for a light that would work for a cook, not a hanging out light. We have undercabinet lighting for the perimeter. They can be made dimmable though if need be, most of our lights are. I did not mention, and should have, that the fixtures and hardware throughout the whole house are brushed nickel.

We are building our house ourselves, there is no GC - my husband drew the plans himself, calculated the trusses, we roofed it together - well, they lifted the trusses in and someone else did the shingles. So I'm not up on getting prefab countertops or hiring a fabricator. I've HEARD about it, but we are working on this from out of town and getting in touch with shops in the area has been tricky with Covid and stay-at-home restrictions. Being new construction has helped, but we are, again, doing this ourselves. At this juncture we are looking at getting it done and having money coming in and not out. Plus we need to refi the land loan in to a conforming mortgage, and that means a CO from the county, which means countertops in place. ((Yes, I have lived with a commercial construction superintendent for 33 years this summer!) I'm guessing here but the fabrication process is probably longer than we have or desire at this juncture. I do know that the out-of-our-price-range Cambria design we liked was quoted at two very different (and equally impossible) price points a whopping $30 dollars apart a square foot. That's a lot of $'s in my book. But I also know that certain colors in any line are known as pricier or more economical. I've been in touch with a couple countertop dealers in the area (we are on Lake Murray about half an hour out from Columbia, SC in Leesville) and I also have no problem doing a box store for that particular component. I'm just looking for guidance on what would work and is known to be lower cost.

I just want to be sure I'm doing the lighting correctly. In the bathroom I can't even picture where the lights should go or the mirror. That's my main problem there, though a picture would help. Again, the bathroom can be redone later, that's simple, at least the lighting, but I need to have the wires pulled and in place where I want them to be. Kitchen is the same thing really with the lighting, except I really REALLY am at a loss as to what will look "right" in that room and those proportions. Never dealt with it before.

Thank you for responding though. I clearly wasn't clear about my time and budget constraints. And while I've looked at how far down for the lights before, it JUST clicked in my head what I've been getting misunderstood in that area. I am thinking two lights versus one, but - ok, I know that I DON'T know is all. I know I'm a hard case, but thank you anyway. Sorry if I don't have the words to explain myself well enough.

• Related Discussions

Bathroom sinks/vanity are IN bedroom, not bathroom- HUH?

Q

Comments (30)
    My parents house is like that, but there’s a wall with a wide doorway into the area with the vanity, so it’s open but also easy to close off by just putting a curtain rail up. It’s also oriented to the room such that if you only use enough light at the vanity to wash your hands for a midnight potty run, it really isn’t enough to bother someone in the bed if you place the bed sensibly. Getting ready in the morning would be trickier if you needed to do makeup and so on so needed proper lighting, so that’s where a screen or a curtain would come in.
    ...See More

Help choosing bathroom colors - vanity and walls

Q

Comments (14)
    nosoccermom, I have considered it, I saw your posts about it and yours looks great! I ordered the samples though and none really looked good in my rooms. The colors that company has are too busy and/or dark for these bathrooms, especially with the existing floor. However I did find some patterned vinyl contact papers I am considering - they have some other granite patterns and terrazzo and marble, too! Check these out: Terrazzo marble brown marble I just am having hard time envisioning an overall color scheme for some reason, I don't want to decide on the countertop without considering the floor and how the wall color will tie it together.
    ...See More

Master bathroom help-crosspost from bathroom forum

Q

Comments (19)
    olychick, thank you for taking a look. :) I'm relieved to hear you think a white shower pan is best. I am heading out now to find porcelain marble look tiles for the shower walls to pick up the gray as you suggested. I want a shiny finish to the walls. Tell me if you think that's a misstep. I am avoiding marble as I have a marble topped vanity now that is pock marked with etchings. As far as seeing myself in the vanity, yes, I think I will be able to do so. I was planning on a black framed mirror spanning the vanity. My current vanity is 32 1/4" high (as will be the new vanity) and when seated on my vanity stool my reflection is seen up to my chest. The only issue currently is that my knees are pressed against drawers. I failed to mention that I was thinking of using absolute black granite for the vanity top for two reasons: one being cost and the other being to avoid etching. Will doing so deviate too much from my inspiration? Lastly, I had the idea of applying pieces of beveled mirror framed by black molding floor to ceiling along the back wall and continuing behind the toilet (similar to this only floor to ceiling with the exception of base molding & crown): [Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Northbrook Architects & Building Designers Michael A. Menn Thoughts? Suggestions? Thank you for reading this far. :)
    ...See More

HELP! Bathroom remodle for two small bathrooms!

Q

Comments (1)
    Hello, Since you are planning on keeping the vanity cabinets with dark granite countertops along with white subway tiles, I think an easy solution would be to bridge the gap between the countertop and the subway tile by using a white marble look floor tile with dark veins. Below are just a couple of tiles I found on Houzz. I think using light-colored floor tiles would keep the bathrooms from looking too small or dark compared to using darker floor tiles. Are you also planning on painting the walls? I think painting the walls in a gray color would be also a quick and inexpensive way of making sure the whole space looks good. The current paint color looks like it's on the yellow side and I think your tiles, granite countertop, and the brown vanities would definitely look better if the yellow walls went gray.
    ...See More
  • Ellen Parrish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

P.S. - your blue-gray tile is lovely :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

The blue gray is in a clients shower that I did.

the marble for your tub surround should be ok. just hate to see it used in a shower.

as for your vanity lights and mirror, I'd do a recessed light in the ceiling, and then either sconces on either side of the mirror or a light over the mirror. millions of pictures to look at, so get an idea from that.

if you like seeded glass pendants for kitchen, they're all over the place.

• PRO
    Electric Universe CA
    4 years ago

Hi! Your ceilings give you a lot of room to play with the when it comes to height, which you could use to give some depth by installing your lights at different heights.

Given your coastal farmhouse design we suggest either something like this reed lamp or take it in the other direction and install something more industrial looking such as the one below. Wicker lamps are also perfect as they give off a more cool and fresh look to a room.

If you would like to see more please feel free to check out our lookbook or website

• Ellen Parrish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

In the bathroom I can do anything against the back wall, not to the sides. If I place a mirror over the sink, then where is the 5 or 6 or 7 inches they all seem to claim to need (anythinh that isn’t glam or modern anyway) to have side lighting. It’s why I was considering an LED backlit mirror, though that’s a trick to get looking right also. Could you center the mirror over the whole vanity splace and not just the side set bowl and have it look right. Especially with side sconces it feels like it would be off somehow, and its very hard ti find examples of out there. For me anyway. Thought if I had a mirror over it all it would just basically cover most. I don’t think my words are explaining myself well, maybe I can sketch what I’m saying in the morning.

for the kitchen - I get the 30 inches off thing, but with 8 foot ceilings and a 6 foot husband, what height to avoid a light in the eye when, say, loading dishes from the center set sink, or prep working. And with a 12 foot island, I want it to say yeah, I’m 12 feet, I wanted to be, not please excuse me for being 12 feet and see, I’m wearing 8-9 feet clothing to pretend I’m not. This IS the statement for the room, it’s where eyes will go at first, before they got to the amazing lake outside. This is the first house my husband of 33 years built himself, and I want it to be beautiful for him.,it’s sort of the culmination of what he’s ever wanted to do. Hes worn down things and a little frustrated and “let’s just get it finished” and I’m trying to pull it through at the end.

So anyway - I cant find bathroom examples because I can’t find bathroom cabinet setups like ours. They always center the sink when I do, and our is to the side to give room to do makeup and still let someone brush teeth or shave or what not, That was the idea anyway. if I put a single vanity mirror of, oh, 22 inches, for the whole thing, would sconces - which sconces - I cant see how it would fit and work. And maybe floating shelves to the side for a renters sundries. Would I do a light bar over the top of the sink area or over the whoever area. If I do, won’t sconces around the smaller mirrored area be funny. If I pick for the whole area, about what size mirror.?

we have found a company in Columbia that does JUST stone countertops, and we are meeting tomorrow. She seems to be ready to work with us to figure this out. They have good ratings here on HOUZZ and in other places, and gave us a seriously lower quote in the out-of-our-reach Cambria Delgattie tile we had been shown by our cabinet maker. By like 40 bucks a S-W foot. She promises she has things that will work in the 60-70 dollar range, and possibly some remnants we can use in the bathrooms.

Would something like this Progress light with the wood bands look wildly out of place? I love the drum lighting that I’ve seen. I’m concerned about it on a chain, just always pictured something on a rod for I’m sure no good reason. I like seedy glass because of my horror of keeping clear glass spotless. Attaching a pic of an island I like (I like the lights too in it) and the possible lamp for mine. We will be AT the house tomorrow and through the weekend, and I can take pics of whatever or try out ideas - I’ve got two 24 inch balloons we blew up last weekend, lol, to try out sizes above the bar for pendants. if I go with something safe if will probably be like this nickel,dome, but in what size and confirmation?

• Ellen Parrish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I def prefer the downlights with the kitchen however.

• Ellen Parrish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If I use seeded glass - or anything - am I precluded from using the brass that is so prevalent in them? I know it all doesn't have to match, but I know you need to know HOW to not match it. Also, with the straight lines of the shaker style cabinets and slightly more modern (though gorgeous and substantial) hardware on the cabinets, that's part of why I was looking to curve it up a bit in the light. Not a lot, just a bit. But I don't want it to clash either.

• Ellen Parrish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Anyway to tell how thin or heavy the lights will be without any showrooms open? It’s a big piece and I'm a little worried about the flimsiness something might have. And I love the last of the seeded glass one’’s you showed. In fact, it's why I asked about the brass.

As to wicker, maybe at the beach but I don't think so at our inland lake. Thank you though.

• Ellen Parrish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry - and I DO like the industrial look - that light in particular is more upright and I’m trying to look for downright tasking type, as we have tons of cans above on dimmers for overall.

FYI - I know it doesn’t help me that I’m trying to stay in the 200 a light max territory for the kitchen. I’m still thinking two lights also, as the tv in the other side is centered and the kitchen is open, plus the stove and sink are centered also. Believe I’ll divide into thirds and go that way in this case, thoughI love other options In many rooms.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

I already posted a pendant size guide way at the beginning. just search, 'sizing for island pendants', and read up!

as for the larger size, up to you.

very hard to advise you of anything because you seem to be running in every direction.

• Ellen Parrish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I asked about guidance of height in consideration of husband s height and out lower ceilings. Forgot to mention I've read 50 articles on placement and I have the general area down, as well as looked at 800 lights myself. That wasn't helping, it's why I asked a direct question on height and size as gave my own direct measurements. A little guidance or a probing question is more helpful than ”your tile is awful” or ”just read the chart” because not everything falls into the chart. In a kind sense, I'll just say you seem to be a woman of strong opinions and great confidence in them. Perhaps I should have note of those traits, but I'm certain they should always be mixed with consideration and kindness. Something like ”perhaps your topic is over broad, consider are-asking just a, b, and c and include just this and we may be able to communicate better.” I've read and used a million HOUZZ articles as we approach being 3 or 4 weeks out from competing a house we designed and built almost entirely ourselves, self contracting the entire thing. I've now nailed down a stone person who just does counter tops and dropped a couple who seem to be just kitchen designers.

I'm trying to decide between a couple styles of lights that I am learning terms for each day, and deciding size from a chart when your island is both super long (12 ft) but narrow 40 inches) is tricky, and I want to be sure that the style I choose will provide enough light to work with as we cook a lot. That involves narrowly down by practicality of styles, and not having used them and getting very little info on sites and even worse search engines, it is overwhelming.

In the bathroom I'm not sure if, considering the sink is to one side of the countertop near the tower, the lights going over the too of a mirror would be better to go completely across the vanity portion or just centered over the sink with shelves to the side. If the latter, unsure if there is a way I can use sconce lights or no.

Majorly, as wires are being pulled SOON, I needed to know the placement for him to do so, three large or two medium on island, and how to place lights and mirror over sink. I can pick them out fine once I figure that out.

You were under no obligation to have helped, but a tone that was at best brusque and dismissive, and possible ruse, to myself as well as the other gentleman, must serve you well in your field I guess, I just don't see how. Perhaps it's all me as a first-timer. If so, my apologies. It took a lot for me to even try to ask the questions, and my apprehensions seem justified at the moment. I do appreciate your trying. Have a blessed day.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

”your tile is awful” or ”just read the chart”

Ellen, not sure where you got this, but I never said that.

I've also been nothing but accommodating and trying to help you with your never ending list of wants and demands. You do know we all volunteer on here, correct? I tried to be kind, but I don't think you really care about that.

You just want your answer, and you want it now.

"Majorly, as wires are being pulled SOON, I needed to know the placement for him to do so..."

Have you read everything you've written? Scroll back up. Each comment is a short story that seems fueled by excessive caffeine.

As I've said, you're all over the place and it's impossible to follow along. Have you wondered why no other person on this entire site has chimed in to help? Normally a post will get numerous replies. I'm sure they clicked on the post, saw your short story that takes a guide to navigate, and quickly exited. (I only wished I had followed suit)

If you've looked at 800 lights and have read up on 50 different lighting guides, then what more can I possibly tell you?

Based on your last scathing diatribe, I'm going to excuse myself where I can be of assistance to someone else. I tried to hang there, but quite frankly, you're impossible.

I suggest you hire a designer. One that you pay for. Good Luck w/that one.

Have a blessed day.

PS,,this was me actually being brusque and dismissive.

• Ellen Parrish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If you see it that way.

• Ellen Parrish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! Hubby loves the first one, I’m in love with the second.. So my only other question would be his, and may sell him to my side: he can’t see how the second is forcing the light down - doesn’t think it would be enough task light. If he’s right, I’ll go along. And yes, I can find several varieties with your information In both categories. Again, thank you for seeing through my forest and presenting two very lovely trees.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

@ Ellen

Duke it out on the island. The three pendants give you 180 watts, the drum shades give you 240 watts

As to the bath...........

If you wanted sconces in the back wall, ( sides ) you have a design flaw in cabinetry layout. In sink position as well, of course. You have to settle for "above" the mirror.

Get a 36 inch round mirror. White framed, or UN framed with a bevel. Center adequate down lighting above that mirror. Doing a round, allows you to "ignore" the sink position, but gives you plenty of view with the 49 1/2 available inches. A light above to equal 24/30 inches.

At 36 inches below, 7 in stock, silver

https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillows/pdp/latitude-run-osbourn-modern-beveled-wall-mirror-w002617216.html

Add light:

https://www.build.com/quorum-international-5369-3/s868931?uid=2220362&source=gg-gba-pla_3474466!c1710656096!a65810353174!dc!ng&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-r71BRDuARIsAB7i_QPxbJ1TOmCxefb4AwmCMcqcPBTVCcb-L1hIS0oyb6xn_bwfIZql1oUaAoL7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.shadesoflight.com/products/opal-barrel-vanity-light-3-light?color=Satin+Nickel+Opal&via=57e1331269702d78ae0000a7%2C57e1359569702d78ae000343

https://www.shadesoflight.com/products/young-house-love-clad-cone-vanity-light-3-light?color=Brushed+Nickel+Chrome+White+Silver+Leaf&via=57e1331269702d78ae0000a7%2C57e1359569702d78ae000343

https://www.potterybarn.com/products/mercer-quadruple-sconce/?pkey=cbathroom-lighting&isx=0.0.532

https://www.shadesoflight.com/products/chrome-translucent-glass-vanity-light-3-light?via=57e1331269702d78ae0000a7%2C57e1359569702d78ae000343

Just remember that w/ splash considered. you will have ( 96 - 36 mirror. - vanity and splash 40" leaves - four inches above splash... will leave about 16 inches above the mirror. Center/center the light.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Wow, that was a whole lot to read, and I have no idea what the real question is! I will say, with only an 8ft ceiling, and a view, and a tv, I see no need for pendants. In my opinion, you will end up with two or three pendants stuck to the ceiling by 2 links of chain and that looks silly. Have you ever thought about saving the glamor for the dining or kitchen table?

Another thought, I would not want fabric shades near my sink area, water splashes steam rises, so fabric gets stained. The first one you like is very simple fixture and can work, I will digress by saying limiting the budget on the jewelry of the home is when it starts to show you are running out of time and money. They are the final touch to an extensive project, you would do well to install the two junction boxes and think about what you really want there.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

When you SIZE the pendant to an eight foot ceiling, you do not end up with two links of chain, or stem. . There was indeed a time when an 8" ceiling was pretty darn standard fare. Not the end of the world, either.

Reading the specs to any fixture helps quite a lot. I can't even remember a time when I managed to wash dishes and splash water into air 36 inches upward. I'm thinking.....nope. Hasn't happened : )

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

She has spoken, I leave the thread.

• PRO
    Shakuff
    4 years ago

Our lighting could be a great addition to your home. We do custom lighting so we will be able to work to feed your needs and wants. Different amount/design/size of pendants, and size of canopy and overall fixture height etc. We also do 3D drawing before so you can have an idea of what it would look like before committing! Feel free to visit onhttps://shakuff.com/ or our instagram @shakuff_ :)

MOD | Custom Blown Glass Pendant Light · More Info

Parade Home // Utah // Liz Tate Interior Design · More Info

TAMAR WAND | Custom Fused Glass | Modern Kitchen Light · More Info

NAVA Pendants | Blown Glass Dining Room Chandelier | Modern Kitchen Island · More Info

TAMAR WAND | Modern Contemporary Custom Blown Glass Linear LED Pendant Light · More Info

NAVA | Custom Blown Glass Kitchen Pendant Lights | Modern Contemporary Lighting · More Info