SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amj0517

Seeking opinions for kitchen update with paint

amj0517
4 years ago

We're home and the paint stores have reopened so we are thinking that now may be a good time to tackle a kitchen update, using just paint. We've always disliked how brown and dark the kitchen is so we think we will start by painting the tile backsplash using the Rustoleum tile paint. It seems to have a lot of positive reviews for durability. However, the color selection is limited so I feel like that needs to be our first selection, then cabinet color can be selected based off of it. So, I have a handful of questions for those of you with a keen eye for making nice color selections.

First, this is our countertop. I think it is a fairly common granite but I can't recall the name of it. I would love to google images of this countertop with various cabinet/backsplash colors to see what we like most. Does anyone know the name of it?

These are the tiny color samples of the Rustoleum tile paint. It is very difficult to see the individual colors but this is all I have to work with right now. Initially, I was leaning towards #5 (Steam Grey), but now I feel like it might be too bright with the granite. So I'm thinking about #12 (Coastal Fog) or #13 (Oyster Shell). I would love to get your opinions.

(I cut the samples out and numbered them). I realize that these samples are extremely small and it may be too hard to see. If you have a color that you think we should look at, I have the Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams color deck so I could take a look. Perhaps I could find a close match to the Rustoleum colors. Of course, it is just paint and we could always paint again, but I'm really hoping to get it right the first time ;). I've seen DIY projects on Instagram using the rustoleum paint where the grout lines are painted a different color, so that's another option to give it more detail.

Finally, once a color for the backsplash is selected, we need to look at color for the cabinets. I'd like to do the same color on the uppers and lowers (but I could be talked out of this) with a blue/grey/greenish color for the island.

Our floor:

So, just looking at these pictures, any first thoughts? Is there anything that jumps out at you as, "yes, definitely consider doing ABC", or "make sure you avoid XYZ"?

We are just beginning to really think about this, so I'm open to considering all different ideas.

I love the look of the bright and airy kitchens, but it seems like they usually have a light, solid colored countertop.

Comments (13)