SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamaandsage

is vinyl really better than laminate? pergo-vs coretec

mamaandsage
4 years ago

I picked pergo wheaton oak laminate from lowes months ago and ever since have been trying to find a vinyl that is similar or nicer as the reason we remodeled is due to a dishwasher flood. I have 3 kids, they bring in pebbles on shoes at times, we have chickens, we aren't neat freaks. I like to wet mop so would need new habits depending on which floor we chose potentially. I prefer soft under foot but I think I prefer the feel of laminate as it feels softer or like real wood to me. The vinyl is so thin that I'm not sure how it will feel on top of concrete. For vinyl I think I have chosen protect pro enhanced, coretec porchester oak. 20 mil wear I believe. I've been reading about vinyl scratching and I'm wondering if it's a new trend and in the end "water proof" laminate might be a better way to go? I imagine there are pluses and minuses to each. vinyl more water proof but laminate stronger against scratches?...

this will be in our whole house and potentially one bathroom, but prob not in bathrooms since we aren't ready to remodel the bathroom yet and will be replacing everything in bathroom including tub and toilet.

thx!

Comments (16)