SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kerri_morgan72

Waterproof Laminate vs Vinyl in Mountain rental condo

Kerri Morgan
3 years ago

Hi! We just recently purchased a condo in the mountains that we plan to use both as a family getaway and as a short term rental (it’s very close to several CO ski resorts). The condo currently has carpet in the main living area, a tiled entry (but the tile is meh) and a tiled kitchen. We are hoping to replace flooring in all of those areas (approximately 500sf). I had originally wanted engineered hardwood but since we are going to be using it as a short term rental - and because people will likely not be as careful as we are with regard to wet boots, skis, etc - I am leaning toward waterproof laminate or vinyl. I’d like something that replicates the look and feel of real wood as closely as possible. I like the look and feel of Pergo Outlast+ (Honeysuckle Oak) and Pergo Timbercraft (either Vintage Wash Grey or Herschel Hickory) but an angry Lowe’s employee has me rethinking whether I should consider vinyl.

I’d love opinions and feedback, particularly about how either of the products above are holding up or suggestions as to a vinyl plank that mimics wood (but is still around $3/sf). Thanks!

Comments (7)