SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agee_atl

Pill Bugs and Other Bugs in Three Sisters Community Garden Bed

I want to do a three sisters bed at my community garden, I am thinking corn, amaranth, pole beans, maybe some bush beans at the perimeter and squash, zucchini and perhaps cucumbers. I am in Georgia, zone 7B/8A. My plan was to direct sow in the bed (the bed is 8x4) but as I was prepping the bed, there were pill bugs/roly polys, centipedes, ants and other bugs in the bed. My concern is that if I plant in the bed they will eat the seeds before they sprout or the seedlings after they sprout.

Do I need to treat the bed or can the plants and bugs co-exist?

If they cannot co-exist, is there a way I can treat the bed to get rid of the undesirable bugs but not harm the worms? I can probably do a couple of treatments- I have DE and other ingredients for DIY treatment like dish detergent, hot peppers and garlic powder. Right now I go to the garden once a week, I can probably squeeze in one additional trip a week.

Can I go ahead and direct sow the seeds?

If I need to treat the bed which I assume will put me back a week or two, so should I sow in pots and then transplant? Another scenario is just to sow the corn because I have read that it needs to be sown first, especially before the pole beans.

Thank you.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!