SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_436863303

Have you ever had a tooth pulled? Advice needed.

Eileen
4 years ago

My dentist is recommending I have a tooth pulled and I am apprehensive about it. It's a bottom molar that has a crown. Last November I noticed some slight swelling of the gum and he said we'd watch it. Last month it felt bigger and when I looked at it with a mirror, I could see pus that I was able to express. The x-ray shows a shadow under the tooth, indicating an infection, and a horizontal shadow across the root. He said I could get a second opinion but he's pretty sure the root is cracked. So in the midst of the coronavirus, I have to decide whether to pull it. He said I could do it now or wait until June as the gum tissue is healthy and the infection is localized and draining. It continues to fill with pus about every ten days though. I think he's thinking to wait until his practice fully opens but I'd rather do it when he's only seeing emergencies.

However, I really don't know what to expect as I've never had a tooth pulled. Since the tooth is cracked, how would he get the tip of the root out? How invasive is this and how much discomfort? I'm worried about damage to my jaw too and wonder if I should see an oral surgeon instead of a dentist. I would also need to have an implant and I understand I would have to wait six months.

Thanks for any and all insight!

Comments (54)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner