SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farmboy1_gw

Transplanted Mature Yews Browning Out After 6 Months

farmboy1
4 years ago

Last fall I had the opportunity to dig up and transplant 4 mature Yews. They had been there for about 8-10 years according to the homeowner and looked very healthy. About 3-3.5 feet in diameter. They were going to go with flower gardens instead.

Digging them out was plenty of work, and there weren't a lot of smaller roots to dig up within a 3 foot plus range. But I did dig out a lot of inch or more diameter woody roots for a foot or two plus out. Got them out and transplanted quickly into my front yard near the sidewalk with an eastern exposure, sheltered from the western sun and wind by the house. I mulched them and kept watering them and even in winter, which has been pretty mild and wet, often brought out 5 gallon buckets of fresh water to dump on them on the nicer days. Now they all look like the one in the front, only with more brown.

Digging them out was plenty of work, and there weren't a lot of smaller roots to dig up within a 3 foot plus range. But I did dig out a lot of inch or more diameter woody roots for a foot or two plus out. Got them out and transplanted quickly into my front yard near the sidewalk with an eastern exposure, sheltered from the western sun and wind by the house. I mulched them and kept watering them and even in winter, which has been pretty mild and wet, often brought out 5 gallon buckets of fresh water and dumped on them on the nicer days. Now they all look like the one in the front, only with more brown.

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Vince, Zone 5

Comments (8)