SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

A few of my newly planted roses

sara_ann-z6bok
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Here’s a sampling of a few of my newly planted roses. Most are fully leafed out and setting on buds, a few are just beginning to leaf out. And a few like, PAPA MEILLAND, PERFUME FACTORY and LOVE SONG gave me a scare, because it took them longer to break dormancy. So anxious to see all the beautiful blooms! A few others that aren’t pictured are INGRID BERGMAN, FIREFIGHTER, FRAGRANT PLUM, EARTH ANGEL, DEE-LISH, SOEUR EMMANUELLE, POPE JOHN PAUL II, WORLD WAR II MEMORIAL and some I can’t even think of! They’re all looking good though!

VIOLET‘S PRIDE

SUMMER ROMANCE

NEIL DIAMOND

SUGAR MOON

TWILIGHT ZONE

SUNNY SKY

MADAME ANISETTE

JULIA CHILD

Comments (42)

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

SaraAnn, all beautiful roses. Can’t wait to see when they bloom. Helen

sara_ann-z6bok thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

Don't you just love healthy green foliage?

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Related Discussions

A few pics from my newly planted roses

Q

Comments (3)
    I learned that roses can handle "heavy" soil by accident. My sister has great soil (loose, fast draining) and she says roses don't do well in it because it is too "loose". Mine have done great even when I haven't amended as well as I thought the roses wanted. Hybrid teas, floribunda and Austin. If your tree rose is in loamy soil the only way to force those roots down is by deep watering.
    ...See More

Few questions about my rose plant (with pics)

Q

Comments (1)
    I'm not an expert, and from your roof, I'm guessing you're in Europe somewhere so completely different growing conditions. However, I don't think that plant will ever do well in such a small pot. A rose needs a lot of root to support its top growth and flowers, and I don't think that's possible in its current situation. If that's staying in a pot permanently it needs at least 15gal or more! Hopefully, some pros will pipe in.
    ...See More

Help! Newly planted roses are dying!

Q

Comments (10)
    In addition to the other advice, I would get serious about providing them with some shade. I know you said you put some lawn chairs in front of them, but that might not be enough in your extreme circumstances. At any nursery, you can purchase what is called "shade cloth". I would get some (it is easy to cut), and get some tall sticks, and put the shade cloth on the sticks (I use those green sticks they sell to use to hold up tall irises, etc. Then I just use clothes pins to pin the shade cloth to the sticks) so that it shades the roses from the direction of the worst sun. The shade cloth lets light through, just not burning sun, so you can leave it in front of the roses for as long as it takes for them to start recuperating. Jackie
    ...See More

Newly planted bareroot rose update

Q

Comments (2)
    I'm with you Sara-Ann. The launching is a tense period. My DA bareroots are 6 weeks in and look like they will all make it, but I really like to see plants further established. The newbies look a little stubby to me. I also planted a few potted roses too early, I think, and they didn't really like the fluctuating temps. Now, I'm hoping they make it. There were some freeze and thaw periods this Spring extending 3-4 weeks later than last year, which threw me off. I wanted to get them in well before the weather really heated up, but that wasn't the problem this Spring.
    ...See More
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago

They all look in glowing good health, and it will be lovely to see all those blooms.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Helen, Kristine and Ingrid! Helen, I definitely look forward to seeing yours too! Kristine, I just saw your Ingrid Bergman on the bush shot thread, it’s gorgeous! And yes, I love the healthy green foliage! Ingrid, I also saw your impressive Souvenir de la Malmaison and other beauties on that same thread, they're so lovely!

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 years ago

All looking so healthy, Merlena, you’re going to have a beautiful spring.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • Diane Brakefield
    4 years ago

Sara Ann, these are wonderful looking, and it's hard to believe they were recently planted. And speaking of SdlM, yours is the best--just gorgeous. Diane

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

OMG! They're adorable. It's hard to believe my Summer Romance was once so tiny and delicate! : ))

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Merlena - they look great!!! They'll be blooming before you know it! :)

Carla - that's gorgeous!! I love the color...reminds me of my Stainless Steel which was new last year. Does WWII Memorial have any fragrance?

sara_ann-z6bok thanked rosecanadian
  • sautesmom Sacramento
    4 years ago

It has heavenly, strong fragrance, kind of lemony honeysuckle.
    When we hit the 90s (forecast next week, waaaaah!) it is pretty much white, but in cooler temps it is very much like Stainless Steel, a bit lighter

Carla

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks again everyone! Carla, pictures like yours are what drew me to WWII MEMORIAL, and the thought that it has a strong fragrance is very appealing. Your picture is beautiful!

Diane, thank you so much. Every spring recently my SdlM has had lots of plump, gorgeous buds on it, and every time something keeps it from being quite as beautiful as I would like, usually too much rain. This year it is looking like it will be beautiful! Usually I get the prettiest blooms from it in the fall.

Vaporvac, how big is your SUMMER ROMANCE? Second try for me on that one. My first one didn’t get a good start, but this one is looking good, I’m keeping my fingers crossed. I do think it’s a gorgeous rose!

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Gorgeous healthy looking babies. Where did you get them from?

sara_ann-z6bok thanked mmmm12COzone5
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you mmmm12! Neil Diamond, Sugar Moon, Twilight Zone and Julia Child are from Edmunds, Violet’s Pride from Witherspoon, and the remainder from Palatine. Between the three nurseries, I planted about 30 bare roots.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Very impressive! I am getting my first bareroot rose this year, Hypnotized! from Witherspoon. It will be a learning experience for sure. I hope it turns out half as good as your roses. I'm not sure if the "!" is part of the official name or not. :-)

sara_ann-z6bok thanked mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

S-A, I have three Summer Romance, all own root, two from 2016 and the other planted just last year. Oddly enough, of the two from Chamblees 2016, one remains smaller and the other could reach 6' if I let it. I try to keep it about 4.5'-5' tall x 3'. It doesn't seem to mind a hard prune. The canes get very thick.

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Carla - I've never smelled honeysuckle...but I love the word! If I ever see WWII Memorial Rose...I'm going to get it! I love yours!! And the fragrance sounds amazing!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you mmmm. Of course I looked up Hypnotized, it looks like a rose that will really stand out, it’s lovely! Do you grow other roses?

Vaporvac, thank you! SR is such a gorgeous rose. I noticed BenT has posted some pictures on his thread, I can only hope mine will be that lovely! The one you describe as being close to 6 ft. if you let it reminds me of my most established Poseidon, the canes on It are very thick. I think my newer one is on its way to be just like it. When it comes to my Kordes roses I need to do some better planning to get them all in the ground their first season. I am a acquiring more Kordes roses every year, and I’m planting way too many in pots. Last year I planted my second Beverly, Savannah, Bliss, Solero and Quicksilver, they should all be in the ground. Then besides SR, I added Kiss Me Kate, Bordeaux Citiscape, Wedding Bells, Sunny Sky, Madame Anisette and Earth Angel, all in pots, this spring!

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Sara-ann,

The Hypnotized on the Witherspoon web site almost seems the wrong picture. When you look it up at https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.71175.0&tab=36 I think this is more what it will look like.

I've been growing roses since 2017 so have about 20ish varieties and am adding 5 more this year. But because we live near High Country Roses I've bought all but one from them since I can go pick them out in person and see the flowers. This year they aren't open to the public so I'm buying blind.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

mmmm, it probably is more like what is on HMF, roses can sure vary in color, either way it’s beautiful! My only modern stripe is Neil Diamond, I love it so much I planted a second one this year! I think of all the rose pictures I post on Facebook for family and friends it’s gotten the most attention, they love it! Just wish they could experience its wonderful fragrance!

I‘ve read good things about High Country Roses. Sounds like you’re building a good collection. I would love to know what some of your varieties are.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Would love to see pictures of your Neil Diamond as that is one I am adding this year. I have a matrix of my roses so this is what I currently have.

The first two were here when we bought the house. The last 5 are the
    new additions for this year. I color coded the rows to match the rose
    color.

I have some more fields in my matrix, like do I like the flower, do I
    like the bush etc. Surprisingly there are only a few that I am in love
    with. I'm so new at growing roses that I'm trying to figure out my likes
    and dislikes.

Before growing roses I didn't know there were types that bloomed in sprays like Sally Holmes. I love that!

Continues bloomers like Cheerio/Playboy and Amiga Mia are favorites.
    Pretty Lady Rose is a flush bloomer with huge, fragrant, beautiful
    blooms and is also cane hardy so is probably my top rose.

Long lasting and reliable like The Fairy earns a spot but isn't
    spectacular like some. I had a once blooming huge climber that I'm not
    sure I should have taken out since it seems like it will be hard to
    replicate.

Then some I just am not that fond of. Some are too early to judge.
    Two that I've decided not to grow were Gourmet Popcorn (snagged my dog
    and hurt her so I removed it) and Oranges N Lemons (died due to
    mistreatment by a garden cart running her over).

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, so informative and I love your chart! You have quite a variety!

Here’s three pictures of ND that are pretty representative of how my blooms usually look. I wish I had gotten a good bush shot, hopefully I can this season.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Gorgeous! I am so glad I put in an order for it before it got sold out. Hopefully they have one with my name on it waiting for me. :-)

4 years ago

S-A, you will love Bordeaux! That is the only other Kordes on your list that I grow. I also have First Crush which is slow to repeat, but growing on a balustrade behind SR and next to Falstaff, so I'm happy for whatever blooms she gives. She is really doing well so far this spring. One that I love is Fire Opal Kolorscape. I know you tend towards the fuller roses, but sometimes the simple beauty of a double helps bring out their beauty. It is perfectly healthy and seemingly always in bloom. The opening flowers have a soft scent. The only loser for me is Milano Kolorscape... the red is too orange for my beds clashing with Darcey Bussel (not its fault) and it BSs badly. At least it dies back enough in the winter, that there isn't much to see until later in the season. I will transplant it elsewhere when I find the perfect replacement for it. I'm hoping Barcelona will fit the bill. : ))

I can attest that Mmmmm has perfectly researched choices and is a lovely person to boot! We met by complete accident at HCR a while back! That was one of my best rose experiences and made me really wish I could meet everyone on this forum. Total rose sensory overload! Mmmm, I love that matrix. I used to study them! How did you do that? Can you look through your list for certain characteristics or is it static?

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Vapor, I just created the matrix because I was forgetting what I had. LOL. It is basically an Excel matrix (that I created using OpenOffice calc - a free alternative). So I can sort rose, search etc. For this purpose I sorted on the date planted column and then by alphabetical order of the name.

I am having some fancy tags made up so originally had the fancy font I was using for those on the name column so I could see how they will print up but for this purpose it didn't read very clearly so I switched it back.

To copy it here was sort of complicated. I had to copy the section I wanted. Paste it in a MS Word document to make it a single element (saved as pdf), then cut and paste it into a paint program to save as a jpeg. Then if formated perfecty for this purpose. LOL. Oddly enough it didn't work well when I put it into the OpenOffice Writer (free equivalent of MS Word).

4 years ago

Thank you for those detailed instructions. : -)) I keep mine on HMF and in a small notebook I've kept for years, but I like the option of searching by attributes, etc. HMF is great and one can keep a journal to update. You have a lot of space mmmmm. I think soon you'll have more roses! :0D I've probably mentioned it before, but Peter Schneider's book Right Rose, Right Place is a wonderful resource for Z5 roses and roses in general.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    4 years ago

Couldn't you just print as PDF without all the copying and pasting?

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Yes, good thought. I originally didn't give my steps right as pdf was the intermediate stage to get the spreadsheet cells into a single element that could then be saved as jpeg and posted as a photo. I first tried copy and pasting the cells into the post but that was horrible formatting. It is trial and error on this end so if anyone has a better method to post spreadsheet info. I am open to it.

So far what worked was to get the section I wanted to post into a pdf to make it a single element and then copy and paste that into a paint program to make a jpeg photo to post.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Vapor, Thanks for the tips on HMF and the book! I just created the spreadsheet yesterday so am still deciding what to put in it. It was illuminating to see how few had likes in both my blooms and bush form columns.

I am probably going to start keeping track of the names of the other plants in the yard. I bought some plant labels for those also because it is helpful to know what they are when being involved in these forums.

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Merlena - I can't decide if I like the blooms better with more white or more red. Thankfully the bush gives you both! Lovely, lovely!!!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Vaporvac, i decided I needed to try Bordeaux, it seems like all the comments I’ve read about it are positive. You’re right, I do tend to go for the fuller roses, however I think Fire Opal is lovely in full bloom. I admire those of you who do your research when it comes to roses. I try to more than I used to, but should do more.

Carol, I really like the ND with more white, I think because of the uniqueness, but I love them all! It‘s a fun rose to grow!

4 years ago

You made me laugh S-A! I research out the wazoo and like a good girl order those roses that should do well. Then I see some beautiful picture here or as a bagged rose at Menard's or calling my name on the sale rack at Lowe's and throw all caution to the wind! Ironically, those have been some of my best roses!

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

I'm a researcher too. If only it worked. I try to find the best ones for what I want and it is so hit or miss. Lots of my favorites are ones I barely convinced myself to buy as I just didn't like them that much but figured, what the heck. Then some I was convinced would be absolute winners and I had to have are just so-so.

Vapor and Sara-ann, how many types do you have?

4 years ago

Do I have to admit that? Do baby cuttings count?

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Yes please admit it. I am very curious. My guess is over 200. Maybe 300.

4 years ago

I am feeling so much better with your guess!

4 years ago

Being stupid who's. Will not let me edit my comment above. M, I sent you a Ramblin p.m. . Be sure to check your email. Or just go directly to PM's here.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

By far I have more hybrid teas, then floribundas, the remainder of what I have are climbers, old garden roses (mostly Bourbon) and right now only two Austins, with more coming soon. I definitely have more Kordes than any other breeder, then Carruth is next. With the 14 I have coming from ROSES UNLIMITED I’ll have approximately 130 roses. Some of my favorites are Poseidon, Zaide, Beverly, Francis Meilland,, Neil Diamond, Liebeszauber, Souvenir de la Malmaison, Madame Ernest Calvat, Crazy Love, Dark Desire, Quicksilver, Pope John Paul II, Orchid Romance, and Belinda’s Dream.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

So impressed with you both!

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Merlena - yeah, I agree with you now that I looked at them again.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 years ago

I went through those pics again, and I spotted 5 good canes on two of my favs, Neil and Sugar Moon. You are doing such a good job with them and they are going to be sooo fragrant!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, BenT, I already love ND, and am looking so forward to Sugar Moon

4 years ago

So looking forward to pics of one of the most beautiful and fragrant roses ever: Sugar Moon. It's a rose that's gorgeous in every phase, but when opening from full bloom to expose her red stamens sends me over the top! Mine died in a horrible spot after contract ing gall, but her memory remains.