SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese meatballs

Lars
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

As requested, here are the recipes I use for Chinese, Japanese, and Vietnamese meatballs:

Chinese Meatballs
You can use pork or turkey for this, or a combination of both.
2 tbsp soy sauce

1 tbsp dry sherry, sake, or dry Vermouth

2 tsp sesame oil

1 egg

1/2 tsp black pepper

1 tsp Chinese chili paste

2 tsp grated fresh ginger

3 cloves garlic, minced

2-3 green onions, chopped

2 tsp cornstarch

2/3 cups breadcrumbs or Panko

1-1/4 pound pork or turkey or both
Mix all the ingredients together, except for the meat, and then add the meat. Form into small (1-1/4” diameter) meatballs, and sauté covered at medium heat for about 8 minutes on one side and then turn over and cook another 7-8 minutes on the other side. They can also be steamed instead for about 7-8 minutes on a side.
Serve with Yaki Soba noodles or rice and stir fried vegetables. They can also be added to soup.

Japanese Meatballs
2 minced green onions
2 tsp minced ginger
2-3 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp minced basil (optional)
1 tbsp black rice vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp chili paste
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup chopped spinach
2-3 finely chopped mushrooms 2 tsp sesame oil
1 pound ground turkey (or pork)
grape seed oil, for sautéing

If you want to use a mini food processor, you can put the onions, ginger, garlic, basil, vinegar, soy sauce, chili paste, and cornstarch in it a process until everything is sufficiently minced. Otherwise, do the mincing by hand, and then stir together with the rest of the ingredients. Note: you can add more cornstarch if needed.

Form the mixture into 1-1/4” diameter flattened balls and sauté for 2-3 minutes on each side at medium-high heat in the grape seed oil in a large sauté pan that has a good cover. When browned on both sides, add a tablespoon or two of water, cover, and reduce heat to simmer. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until done. Cooking time will depend on how big they are.

For Vietnamese meatballs, I use this recipe for Bun Cha, or this recipe for Lemongrass Meatballs.

I've had Thai meatballs, but I don't like them as much, and so I have not made them. I don't have my Vietnamese cookbooks with me right now, and so I cannot check the Vietnamese recipes against them.

What are your favorite variations? I also use these recipes (somewhat modified) to make gyoza.

Comments (9)