SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Installed new garbage disposal today

Lars
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Today I installed a new garbage disposal to replace the one that fell apart here. I mean that parts came off, and so I knew it was beyond repair, even though we have insurance on our appliances. Anyway, I did not want to have a repair person in to do this. I ordered a replacement disposal that is identical to the one we have (although that would not have been my first choice) so that I could easily do the installation myself. I watched a few Youtube videos on how to do this, and they made it look simple - like I could do it myself. That almost happened, but as it turned out, I did need help for about five minutes when I was installing the new disposal, and I was unable to hold it up and screw it in place at the same time. This video illustrates this problem:

If you watch this video, you can see that he drops the disposal three times before he gets it in place. Instead of dropping it three times, I dropped it once and then had my brother help me. I had to watch several other videos to get all of the information I needed to complete the installation correctly, and I also used the instructions that came with the disposal. None of these were sufficient by themselves for me to do this correctly, and so I spent a couple of days studying how to do it. In the end, it only took me half an hour to do the installation, which is less time that a lot of the videos lasted.

What drastic measures have you had to take lately to deal with disasters? This is not the only disaster I've had to deal with in the past couple of months, as I had freezer and refrigerator problems in my garage that I only was able to understand and solve last week.

Comments (33)