If you could only have five cheeses on hand ...
Suppose the markets only sold five different cheeses, what would you want them to be? I'm going to consider Parmesan in a different category for this question because it keeps so well. This is more of a survival question, and I will give you Parmesan, but what other five cheeses would you need to survive?
I mention this because I have limited storage and am trying to limit myself, and I thought it would be interesting to pick five cheeses so that I could store them without any of them going bad. I also wanted to pick the ones that I use the most and that I felt were really essential. These are not necessarily the ones that I think I like the most, but the ones that I use the most. Here's what I came up with for me.
1. Cheddar, very sharp - not because I like it but because I use it a lot in Mexican dishes. Could substitute Cotija
2. Jarlsberg/Swiss, for omelets
3. Brie, for eating by itself on toast and crackers
4. Provolone/Asiago, for sandwiches
5. Mozzarella/Fontina, for pizza, lasagna, etc.
A runner up would be feta or Roquefort, but I could live without them.
What would be in your survival kit?