SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maifleur03

Changes in grocery shopping

maifleur03
4 years ago

For anyone interested CNN had a article with a suggestion that it was time to stop allowing customers in grocery stores and only allow pick-up and delivery. Many years ago when Amazon increased the number of food items I voiced that I thought eventually there would be a return to the old time stores where you told or gave a list of items and someone selected them for you. Naturally it was discounted. Now with the virus more and more people are distancing themselves from going into stores. A question I have is when it is again safe to do your own shopping will you?

I can also see where there may be a return to the greengrocer, meat market, bakery.

I like to select my own produce although I am aware with the prebagged and packed stuff I am buying something that was already selected for me. https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/19/business/grocery-stores-coronavirus-pickup-delivery/index.html

Comments (58)

• User
    4 years ago

I'm not concerned about grocery shopping we have very few cases here and the numbers haven't been increasing. I think there's been only one death in this part of the state so far.

That plan might work in a densely populated city but not out here in the country where most stores are >10 miles from home. None of the grocery stores in the nearest (and also small) town have delivery services. The only close mid-sized towns are >70 miles from here, that wouldn't work either.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I don't want any to die. I want there to be safety precautions to protect them. And since many safety precautions came late for workers, I hope the new protections will eliminate contagion for them. And I hope they are not being exposed other places than their workplace.

• Related Discussions

How often do you grocery shop? How many places do you go?

Q

Comments (29)
    I shop at multiple stores. Pay day is every other Friday so I that is when I go to Wal-Mart or Smith's (Kroger owned). Every 2 weeks we also get coffee beans at the little mom and pop shop. We go to Sprouts every 2 weeks as their ads overlap on Wednesdays. This is actually getting less frequent as they have not put the bulk things on sale that I want the most as frequently (steel cut oats and short grain brown rice). The bread outlet is a once a month trip. Other stores such as Keller's (for meat), Trader Joe's, the international markets, Vitamin Cottage (for other bulk items), I alternate months. Some things I get through Amazon's subscribe and save and that can vary in frequency. Eggs are mostly from my hens and many of our vegetables come from our garden. Some of the variety in shopping is about the money savings but it is more along the lines of trying to match the quality to a certain price point and meeting my needs of acquiring a diversity of ingredients. Arborio rice at TJ's, quality meat at Keller's, red lentils in bulk at Vitamin Cottage, etc. Part of it is me trying to maintain a well stocked pantry because my moods are fickle and if the pantry has a variety of things, I can cook according to my mood. Pre-planned menus never, ever work for me.
    ...See More

Who Would Rather Shop for Groceries or Kitchen Items...

Q

Comments (31)
    I don't really enjoy either. They're things I need to do occasionally though. For clothes, I check the clearance racks and if there's something in my size that I need and the price is right, in the cart it goes - and it'd better fit because I don't return many things. Groceries have gotten better. Don't hate it as much as I used to but I really use my lists, shop more at Target & Aldi and keep up on prices. Target is great for checking out the clearance endcaps. Bought a Calphalon 12" saute pan on clearance for $27 and it's going to be a valuable addition. Yesterday I bought a couple of large read clock/timers cheap enough and a large serrated icing spatula that looked like it'd be a good knife for cutting sweet breads and the like ($2 on clearance). They also had a small offset spatula for $1.28 that I thought would be a good butter knife - nice and stiff, good handle on it and was cheap enough. It rang up at 98â so it was cheaper than expected. Should have gotten another at that price. I've wanted to pick up some things from Hickory Farms but I don't do malls so I'll have to see what they get into the other stores. Usually I see it in the other stores but haven't yet this year. No big deal. BTW, anyone who also enjoys Menard's is all right in my book!
    ...See More

How Vitamix has changed your grocery shopping and cooking?

Q

Comments (39)
    I've joined the Vitamix club! My 16-year-old son and I made smoothies this afternoon, starting with every fresh and frozen fruit we had in the house...and then my son asked if we could throw in some spinach or kale. We didn't have any, so we added some romaine lettuce. He guzzled it and asked me to buy some kale. Tonight we made milkshakes -- naughty ones with ice cream, peanut butter, and chocolate syrup -- no hidden veggies. They were yummy. Tomorrow, we'll go back to healthy smoothies. And then we'll start playing with soups, etc. One thing that amazed me with the cookbook that came w/ the blender is that it looks like there are soups and sauces that start out as raw ingredients. and then actually get heated up during blending. Are they really hot enough to eat without heating further?? I will say that I like some soups to be chunky. Split pea, for me, should be somewhat chunky. I like the peas, chunks of potato and ham, and shreds of carrot. But for others, smoothness will be great -- like sweet potato or asparagus. Looking forward to playing around with it!
    ...See More

Grocery shopping companion

Q

Comments (44)
    I am sorry, acdc. We rarely go together because of something DH did to me years and years ago. (I don't remember if I told this story before on here or not. Oh well.) It was near Christmas. The store was packed with shoppers. We had lots and lots of groceries to buy, and our cart was filled to overflowing. I started piling the stuff on the counter and the young woman checker was tediously punching them in. This was in the old days before barcodes. Anyway, she got about halfway through when DH turns to me and says LOUDLY, "Did you bring enough food stamps to pay for all this???" (Let me say here that we were NOT, and have never been, on food stamps.) The young woman looked up, astonished, and said equally loudly, "If you are paying with food stamps, you're supposed to tell me ahead of time so we can separate the items!!" Everyone nearby turned to stare, DH nearly fell on the floor laughing, and I - with red face - tried to explain to her that he was just kidding. And that's why we rarely go together.
    ...See More
  • Alisande
    4 years ago

I'd be happy to do my own grocery shopping again BUT I don't know when I'll trust the authorities to tell me it's safe to do so. I know how paranoid that sounds, but the response to the crisis has been chaotic, complete with clashing opinions from those in charge at different levels. I'm seriously concerned about a devastating resurgence, such as what happened in 1918.

That said, I do look forward to choosing my own produce again. I may continue to order some things for pickup though, as walking around the stores with a long shopping list can be tiring.

• Kathsgrdn
    4 years ago

I think they should go to pick up and delivery too, grocery store workers are dying. People are going in to the stores sick. Had a call the last day I worked from a woman who was scared because someone she ran in to at Wal-mart was sick and went there anyway. He didn't try and keep his distance from her either.

Our stores here are packed as usual based on the number of cars in their parking lots every time I go by.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    4 years ago

I insist on picking my own produce. No way will I allow some youngster (most of them young enough to be grandchildren of mine) select my tomatoes, pears and lettuce. I have discovered that going to the grocery after 7:00 p.m. makes avoiding people easy. Last time, I counted 4 other shoppers in the store. I don't use a cart, I carry my own bag and when that is full, I quit for that trip. In and out quickly with not much interaction with other patrons or store help.

I have been working from the freezer of late. Tonight, it will be a port loin and frozen peas and pasta (a 3P meal). Still lots of stuff in there to get us through.

• Alisande
    4 years ago

As Kath mentioned, our stores continue to be busy. When I picked up my Walmart order yesterday I was shocked to see how many cars were in the parking lot. It looked like a normal Saturday.

I'm not willing to risk my life for a perfect head of romaine. :-)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

According to the latest CDC statistics and the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union (as of 4/17/20), 30 grocery store workers have died as a result of Covid 19 or .0023% of total US Covid fatalities. All things considered, that is a very small percentage!

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Grocery shopping isn't going to change for me. I still do all my own grocery shopping. My son and his wife alway did walmart grocery pick up. Now it is near impossible to book a pick up time so he now has a personal shopper.

• sephia_wa
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

"30 grocery store workers have died as a result of Covid 19 or .0023% of total US Covid fatalities. All things considered, that is a very small percentage!"

None should have to die. They aren't health care workers who are working the front lines. These are people who make minimum wage to stock shelves, handle produce, work in the bakery, etc. I'm not okay with any percentage of grocery store employees dying to stock bananas. Sounds like you're okay with it. SMH.

• samkarenorkaren
    4 years ago

I prefer to pick out my own stuff too. I feel safe in the store as I wear mask and gloves.

Wouldn't the stores lose money without people "splurge" buying? I make a list but couldnt resist the coffee cake i spotted.

SamKaren Your resident dj

• Lindy
    4 years ago

I guess I will never understand the callousness.

"30 grocery store workers have died as a result of Covid 19 or .0023% of total US Covid fatalities. All things considered, that is a very small percentage!"

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

The grocery store data is incomplete. No data of age, medical conditions, cause of death or place of virus contact. I wish I could remember where, but read some workers at a business were infected, but only one contracted covid 19 at work.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    4 years ago

We're retired. We're used to going out to lunch about 3 times a week, and picking up groceries as wanted. No lunches out anymore. My DH gets groceries once/week now. We're eating simple food to minimize kitchen clean-up. I haven't been anywhere for 2 weeks - had a virtual appointment with my primary care doctor on the 13th and she advised me not to go out.

Fortunately we both cook and like the same kind of food, and invariably eat at least 2 meals from what we cook and sometimes freeze more. I am missing salads, though. Tonight is roast chicken breast, acorn squash and canned cranberry sauce.

• chisue
    4 years ago

We don't know where anyone is infected, including grocery employees. I'm not surprised at deaths among packing house workers, though. Those places have been hell-holes forever, another indictment of our nonexistant public health system. The virus is showing a light on a lot of nasty things.

My small city (20K population) has at least six grocery stores. DH wears a mask to do our shopping every 7 - 10 days. There are few other customers when he shops (early). DS and family order from the busier stores in the city (Chicago) and get second-day pickup.

• liira55
    4 years ago

I work at Safeway and I see people come in everyday to shop. It’s like they have nothing else to do, so they come in to shop. Couples, families are coming in. We have a limit of 110 people in the store at once. I hope with the nice weather people will start doing yard work instead of shopping for junk food.

• zinnia
    4 years ago

I read the article and it doesn't sound like it's feasible in many areas.

"Some companies and safety experts say it's not feasible to convert all grocery stores to delivery and pickup-only outposts. Ordering systems for both pickup and delivery are completely by a crush of demand from customers in many areas of the country.

"We have no choice. They have to stay open. [America's grocery] delivery system has not matured to the point where we can switch to an entirely remote system," said Seth Harris, former deputy secretary of labor during the Obama administration.

Online pickup and delivery requires a much larger staff than grocery stores are currently equipped with. That could fill supermarkets to capacity with workers, defeating the purpose of removing the public from stores.

Paying that many workers would also cost grocers a lot more money, and many smaller chains don't have the resources. They have already hired more workers during the pandemic to meet demand, and they'reraising pay for existing employees to convince them to stay on the job. Grocers operate on razor-thin margins, and for many, the recent increase in sales because of coronavirus has been wiped out by the increases they've needed to make in payroll.

"I think that's one of the major reasons chains are reluctant to do the switch," said Logan from San Francisco State University.

A Trader Joe's representative said that while "we understand that during this time customers would appreciate a delivery or pick up service," the grocer's "systems are not set up in a way that would allow us to be able to offer these services, and at the same time maintain our commitment to offering value to our customers."

Switching to online pickup and delivery may also burden low-income customers who can't afford fees that often come with these orders, customers without internet access and food stamp recipients. Most food stamp recipients are ineligible to use their assistance to purchase groceries online, although the Department of Agriculture has doubled the number of states that allow food recipients to order online in the past few weeks.

And converting to online-only may not completely solve the safety problem either because an influx of gig workers would have to be in the store to pick and fulfill all of the orders."

• joann_fl
    4 years ago

I picked up a grocery order today, 4 items were not available. I had to go into the store anyway and found eggs which they said they didn't have. About half the people were wearing masks but half the employees were not. I don't like this online grocery shopping at all. I want to see what I am getting and what they do have. I will probably go in again next time. Just wear a mask, wash your hands or sanitize when you get out of the store and be careful.

• kadefol
    4 years ago

In our area (small city of 25,000 with 3 grocery stores) curbside pick up and delivery are weeks behind and, for many, there is no way to obtain groceries within a reasonable time frame unless they go to the store. We've cut back to taking turns to shop every 2 weeks max, instead of once a week, and then it's run in, get what's needed and get out, no lingering and browsing.

• chisue
    4 years ago

Many Chicago 'burbs have ruled that you must wear a mask to enter any store, starting tomorrow (Monday). DH saw similar signage today when he got vital groceries at Fresh Market: Cookies, cream, eggs. Makes sense. If there are almost no N95's available to the public (protect the person wearing them), at least people could stop potentially spreading the virus by wearing surgical or homemade masks.

• patriciae_gw
    4 years ago

I prefer to pick out my own fruit, veg and meat. I buy very little processed food but if it became obvious that my doing my own shopping was putting the people in the store at risk I would have to accept that I have to change my ways. At this point it doesn't look like that is the case and I wont shop in a store that isn't protecting its employees. Around here there are plastic panels in front of the checkers but one store I rarely go to did not have them. I wont go back. We are shopping about every two weeks. That is our normal schedule. We are limiting the places we go, no shopping bargains or specials. Each stop compounds our risk. I hope we do not affect theirs.

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

I didn't read the article. This virus isn't going to last forever, the need for extreme social distancing will fade.

Me, I can't wait to get back to almost-daily outings to the grocery stores. Planning meals on the fly as we walk the grocery aisles, not by what can last two weeks. I'd like some of the sanitary measures to continue, especially those clear plastic panels that help protect cashiers (how many sick people come thru their lines in normal flu season? yikes!) I've heard some grocery workers are getting higher wages, and hopefully more respect from the public as we realize how much of our health is in their hands -- that should continue.

• zinnia
    4 years ago

If you missed Chef Jose Andres' interview on 60 Minutes tonight take the time to watch it. This man is a hero!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jose-andres-chef-feeding-coronavirus-impact-60-minutes-2020-04-19/

• User
    4 years ago

Here's another thought about online grocery shopping. I live in an area with higher than average number of senior citizens, many who don't use or even own a computer or a smart phone. One of the reasons is that many only have POTS, no high speed anything.

Like it or not, death is part of living and a pandemic means that there will be people that die of it. The current solution has it's own risks, rates of suicides are climbing and many patients are unable to receive or are having to delay treatments for illnesses such as cancer. Some will die from lack of treatment that could have survived in another situation. A number of NHI studies are on hold now that were the last resort for some patients, many will die before the studies will resume. So life has risks, unfortunately we have become a society that is risk adverse and panics so easily.

• maifleur03
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think for people that feel that everyone else should play in traffic they should be the first to step off the median.

• Michael
    4 years ago

No way will I allow some youngster
    (most of them young enough to be grandchildren of mine) select my
    tomatoes, pears and lettuce.

That's not true. InstaCart personal shoppers must be certified 18 years of age.

Speaking from experience, not assumptions, our last 4 shoppers were a gentleman around 55 years of age and three women, moms, mid 40's. Their choices matched our preferences. All 4 of them shopped for us like they would for their family.

Choices - Excellent

Communication via the app while shopping - Excellent

Delivery Time - Excellent

Personal Shoppers were here long before COVID-19.

• Alisande
    4 years ago

Zinnia, I loved it. I hope his plan gets implemented. It was terrible seeing those vegetables, etc., destroyed or left to rot---while hundreds of cars line up for food.

• sephia_wa
    4 years ago

I've used InstaCart personal shoppers also. I was completely satisfied with what I received. I wanted green bananas, and I got green ones. One shopper I had was a woman in her early 60's, and then two guys, one in his early 40's and one in his mid 50's. I'm actually not crazy about grocery shopping so I may just continue using them.

• lucillle
    4 years ago

So life has risks, unfortunately we have become a society that is risk adverse and panics so easily.

Oh no, another high school debate team trick. It unites two different ideas (risk averse) and (unfortunately,panics so easily) in en effort to tar and diminish the good idea.

To work, it depends on gullible people who don't really think about what they are reading. But people here think.

Actually, when dealing with an unknown demonstrated killer, being risk averse is a very good idea until more facts are collected. Risk taking assumes higher rewards for the risk taker. Being dead isn't one of those rewards.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Less than a high school debate tactic. It's what politicians do who realize they've been backed into an untenable position with no escape. "Change or redirect" the conversation when you realize you're backing a losing horse. Or evade answering the question altogether, no matter how silly it makes you look.

• maifleur03
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I always find it interesting that those that want others to risk their lives are very careful to never risk their own.

• chessey35
    4 years ago

Our stores had InstaCart and it was almost impossible get a delivery time - so I'm going to the store about once every 2 weeks. Costco and Sams Club both had store pickup but they are not close.

• lisa_fla
    4 years ago

I wear a mask and use self checkout and keep my distance from workers. I’m not sure How I feel about instacart type options. The shoppers are taking risks getting groceries so I’m less at risk. Is that right? Maybe since they choose to do it. Is it that much safer having someone else touch all of my groceries multiple times-in the basket, out of the basket to check out, possible self bagging or a cashier bagging? I’ll take my chances. I don’t feel there’s a huge risk shopping for food every 9 days or so

• wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

I've never stopped shopping for us. I keep distance and I don't see anyone but DH and a few adults I work with who practice social distancing anyway. I've pretty much given up on the chains stores like Safeway. I find the best stock is at smaller local grocery mini chains and Smart and Final. My only complaint is that I have to shop more often now than I did in the past due to lack of availability of some items. I don't wear gloves or a mask, wash my hands frequently and keep hand wipes in the door pocket of the truck that I use before driving off. i also avoid senior hours like the plague even though I more than qualify.

• Chi
    4 years ago

I've noticed that too, maifleur. They want everyone else to go back to work but don't want to get a job themselves. Must be nice to stay home safe and sound and let everyone else take the risks to keep the economy going.

• shambo
    4 years ago

I’ve been using Instacart for about 2 years. It’s service has been a real help to me because I suffer from intermittent vertigo attacks. When that happens, I can’t handle shopping, nor can I safely drive. So ordering via Instacart is a real lifesaver.

I’m satisfied with the service I get. Could I do better on my own? Probably. But I’ve accidentally bought the wrong item or come home with a bruised piece of fruit I didn’t notice. I’m not a perfect shopper either.

Since the Covid crisis, I’ve had to wait 5 hours instead of 2 hours for delivery. Nothing to really complain about.

I live in an area that has two Safeways, two SaveMarts, and two Raley’s/BelAirs in relatively close proximity. So, the Instacart shopper doesn’t necessarily shop at the grocery store nearest me. That leaves the possibility that Safeway “A” is out of something that is available at Safeway “B.” In some cases, availability is determined by which store the shopper is using. I have no problem with that since it’s happened to me too. I can’t find an item at Safeway “A,” so I drive 10 minutes to Safeway “B,” and discover it’s in stock.

When the crisis is over and restrictions are lessened, I’ll probably go back to shopping on my own at the two stores that don’t offer online ordering: Nugget & Trader Joe’s. But I normally only shop at those stores every couple of months. During the summer, I get all my fresh fruit & vegetables at the local farmers markets.

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

Read in the "local" paper they are debating a "fix". I sure do not want anyone shopping for me! As stated already so many things, bakery, produce, meat--I NEED to see, think about, weigh my options. Add to that my students are being hired to do this shopping NO WAY are they capable of caring about what they are doing!!! Just being open about who they are as people!! I do not understand how I could have been the only person in the grocery store yesterday at 7AM with a mask on!! THAT has to stop. IMHO No one EVER should be allowed in public--in a building w/o a mask on. Oh and clerks SHUT UP!! Wave, smile, what ever but STOP with all the salutations and niceties that cause you to spew droplets into the space you and other's are working/shopping in!!!

• Michael
    4 years ago

Wow! Arcy. Perhaps a prayer for those workers at the store before you make your next trip.

And for those who think they have to handle and inspect produce, be sure to commit to buy BEFORE you touch the produce. We don't want your dirty paws on our food.

• User
    4 years ago

I live in a small town, we don't have grocery delivery and no one store carries many items so I've been going to three stores a week. I'm not worried, we have only a handful of cases in this and the surrounding counties. Some of the counties here are yet to report a case. To date we've had one hospitalization and I've heard they've already gone home. Not aware of any deaths. So no need to panic here - there's just too few cases.

Chi - I'll ask again why are you singling me out as needing to come out of retirement to work. It's been years since I worked in the hospital and it would take a lot to return. My certifications (they are required to work in the department I was in) have lapsed and technology has advanced since I left. It would be like starting over. Plus the hospitals here are empty so no they aren't hiring (and who is going to hire a person of retirement age anyway?) and are more likely to close as this continues. Yes, some rural hospitals have closed due to lack of revenue.

Then there's the issue of all that I do at home. If I'm working long hours who would take care of the home tasks like cleaning and mowing the acreage? Hubby doesn't need to come home to a messy house and yard.

So Chi, are you retired also? Are you going to return to work? Do you expect your hubby to do housework?

• cooper8828
    4 years ago

DH and I alternate grocery shopping normally. I have always used curbside since they started to offer it. DH prefers to go in. The shoppers at the store I go to are in the 50 - 60 age range. They shop just like I do. We're doing only curbside now and only every two weeks to lessen interaction. I personally hate shopping anyway but at this time I do think curbside keeps the workers safer.

• nicole___
    4 years ago

People pick up items they see...and like. End caps are used for a lot of "quick-pick-ups". Store sales would drop. I don't see curb side pickup or grocery delivery as a permanent "new" way of shopping for 75% of us.

• lucillle
    4 years ago

Then there's the issue of all that I do at home. If I'm working long hours who would take care of the home tasks like cleaning and mowing the acreage? Hubby doesn't need to come home to a messy house and yard.

I'm just curious, all those years you worked as a microbiologist, who took care of the house?

Do you expect your hubby to do housework?

If both parties are working and there is no paid help, I think that the modern perspective is that a mutually acceptable arrangement of half of the house and yard work for each person is the answer.

• User
    4 years ago

Lucille - that was before I was married and it was very difficult to work all those double shifts and keep house but I managed. I was in a different profession when I married and we quickly decided that my working was unnecessary so I retired. No, I don't expect my hubby to do any house work, he works long hours and is expecting to be available for work 24/7. It's quite common in his profession to continue working long after retirement age because they enjoy their work.

Gardening is fun for me, I love spending a sunny afternoon on the riding mower. Something I've noticed in my neighborhood is that the riding mowing is usually being done by the women, it's rare to see a man on a mower here.

• amylou321
    4 years ago

I still do our shopping. There is no delivery available where we live and if i have to drive all the way for pickup I might as well do it myself anyway.

I would feel weird doing stuff like that anyway. I dont like to be waited on,catered to. I dont like other people doing what is no bother to me,even if I dont particularly enjoy it. I wouldn't want a house cleaner or anything. I only rely on others when I or SO cannot do it. Like a repairman or my hairdresser or something. To have someone shop for me seems....I don't know......wrong I guess. And I like shopping anyway. That's just for me though. I am happy that the service is a convenience for others. And I hope it's still around if I ever NEED to use it,even if I dont wanna.

I work full time. I still am. I do ALL of our cooking,cleaning,laundry, shopping and other errands. It's not that hard. SO works full time. He takes care of our acreage, (I garden, but i dont count mowing as gardening,too boring) . He also takes care all of our vehicles, and various home repairs, though not all of them.

• chisue
    4 years ago

We can't change other people's behavior, but we can influence it by what WE DO. Wear a surgical or cloth mask when you are in a store or are likely to be in close proximity to others (on a sidewalk or trail). If you're going shopping, put your mask on before you exit your vehicle and don't remove it until you are back in the vehicle. You can re-use a mask after a few days of 'airing'. You can wash a cloth mask and dry at high heat or in the sun.

I just read an article citing a reduction in hospitalizations for flu. Increased public hygiene was credited for this. It's such simple stuff: Washing hands, staying home, wearing masks in public.

• Chi
    4 years ago

"So Chi, are you retired also? Are you going to return to work? Do you expect your hubby to do housework?"

I already work full time, as does DH, and we will both keep working for another 30 years. And yes, I expect him to do an equal amount of housework.

I am doing my part to keep the economy going, and I don't expect retired people over 65 to go back to work. But the difference is that I would never suggest everyone else goes back to work and risks exposure without being willing to do it myself.

• User
    4 years ago

Chi - if you have another 30 years to work you're much, much younger than I am, you may find working 40 + hours a week plus keeping a spotless house & cared for yard much more difficult when you reach my age. I think part of what you don't understand is the risk here is very low so many here would have preferred to keep their jobs instead of being forced out.

As for the grocery stores, one of the checkers I regularly see has told me that management decided to cut the checkers hours from 40 to 29 hours to avoid layoffs. I sure hope the store is able to stay open in these circumstances.

• Cherryfizz
    4 years ago

I am lucky because I don't have to do grocery shopping during this time because I live with someone who works in a grocery store and does our shopping or he can pick up groceries for our neighbours and other family members if need be. Some of my family members are using grocery delivery.

In the summer I normally buy my produce and some meats at local farm stands in the county or at the city market. I would 100 percent rather eat local fresh produce than stuff that was trucked in. Lucky for us we have a delivery service that now delivers produce from local greenhouses. So if I can't get out to the farm stands by summer I will be using their delivery service to get my local produce.

I worry about everyone that is still working and coming in contact with people everyday. I worry about my family member bringing the virus home and infecting me. My nephew works at a Lowes and in January was very sick with a respiratory virus that lasted over 3 weeks and he was off work for a month. They thought it was pnuemonia, my brother is now thinking his son may have had Covid 19.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

"40 + hours a week plus keeping a spotless house & cared for yard "

When the adult occupants in a home both work, if hiring outside workers to help isn't desired or affordable, than one gets by with what can be done. We share the load and always have, even before retiirement, and accept what isn't done because of time or inclination. I think most people are like that, the Ozzie and Harriet type of families stopped being typical long ago.

"one of the checkers I regularly see has told me that management decided to cut the checkers hours from 40 to 29 hours to avoid layoffs. "

In my area, 30 hours is considered "full time" and full benefits must be paid by the employer. Someone working 29 hours would fall out of that category and that would save the employer money. That may be why.

• chisue
    4 years ago

Walmart was (is?) infamous for hiring as many part time workers as possible to avoid paying benefits.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

chisue, not recently but I've heard this from folks at our local Safeway store, that many of them have two jobs because Safeway has limited new hires to part time status for a number of year now. It's done exclusively to avoid paying the cost of benefits that the union contract requires for full-timers.

I don't know what they're doing now for those with longer tenure who are full timers but I suspect because they're in hiring mode, no one has been pushed down to part time status.