SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

Grocery shopping companion

bpath
6 years ago

I like grocery shopping. I go to a small local chain, the staff is nice, they move things around only occasionally, I have a good shopping list, so I can be in and out in under 30 minutes with a week of groceries. With kids in the cart it took a little longer, but it was still fun (mostly). I feel so organized when I go, it's like clockwork.

My DH is a good cook, better than I am. He enjoys cooking, more than I do. So I don't mind (mostly) that he's not a clean-as-you-go nor a clean-up-after type of cook.

But I really do not like grocery shopping with DH. He questions every thing I pick up (pasture versus cage, grass-fed versus grain-fed), reminds me to check expiration dates, why this brand versus another, and "I can get that at the huge discount grocery store when I go through that town in 4 days". I forgot to get a couple of items because I was so distracted.

And he's not even retired. He just wanted to use his credit card because he's chasing points.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm sure he hates it when I go to the hardware store with him for similar reasons.

Comments (44)

• deegw
    6 years ago

Count me in as well. Shopping with DH is like shopping with a toddler. His trick is to choose the giant version of what we need. Doesn't matter that it will go stale long before we get to use the 16 pounds of whatever.

bpath thanked deegw
  • Related Discussions

Using grocery store garlic to companion plant

Q

Comments (2)
    Plant them, they will grow. This is an odd time of year to be planting them but since you only want the greens and maybe help out with the bugs I don't see a problem with it.
    ...See More

Online grocery shopping?

Q

Comments (27)
    Yes Lucillle that is a consideration. That's a 20 mile round trip and probably a special trip at that so you need to factor in driving expense too. A friend of mine used one of the high-end stores in the area to deliver her groceries. They'd put things away, in refrigerator, freezer and cupboards so there was no carrying at all. She loved it. She hated going to the store at all so it was worth it to her. But they stopped delivering to her area. She was one unhappy gal when that happened! There was also a company called Simon Delivers who delivered things in the area. I thought about using them but never did. They were bought out by Coborn's and they're a very good store so I wouldn't hesitate to use them if the need should arise but at this point I still prefer to pick out my own stuff.
    ...See More

Curbside grocery shopping?

Q

Comments (31)
    So timely for this to pop up again. Just yesterday we used the Walmart grocery pick up. I ordered online it was extremely easy, paid by credit card, got my pick up time, I went ahead and installed the Walmart app on my phone but you don't have to. As I was driving there I clicked the app and hit the check in button which it said to do as I was on the way and told them the color of my car. I drove up in the rain and parked in the pick up slot. Immediately the guy came out wheeling a cart with our groceries. He told me which items they made substitutions on and all were fine with me. When they make a substitution you can either accept it or they remove the charge. Any time a substitution is made they give you a higher priced item and do not charge for the difference. I had asked for a special brand of potato buns and they did not have it so they gave me 2 packages of a similar brand. I asked for a jar of Bertolli pasta sauce and they substituted the higher priced organic version of it. He then put all the groceries in the car and told us this is the bread and put it in a safe place etc. First time I think I got home with bread not smashed. In total we were there maybe 10 minutes if that. It was a very good experience and we will do it again. Especially in bad weather it saves us having to unload my scooter and deal with that in the rain. We were both exhausted from working in the house too. I will try the kroger near us next. We went by there to pick up something for my husband and I sat in the car. Their pick up area was right by there. The people waiting had to wait much longer but I don't know if they have the app that lets you tell them you are on the way. I think theirs you pull up and call the number on the sign. So that could be the difference and theirs you pay then with delivery. You can still use your kroger loyalty card and get your discounts. We have senior discount and I load my digital coupons on the card. That is a nice option. I want to try a home deliver one but right now the HEB in our area does not deliver to our zipcode yet. And those charge. There is no charge for the Walmart plus I got a $10 discount for first time.
    ...See More

Tried to go grocery shopping

Q

Comments (43)
    I did my shopping yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the grocery store was fully stocked with fresh produce; I was able to get all of the fruit and veggies that were on my shopping list. Meat was pretty much wiped out, but they had the one thing I wanted - smoked ham hocks. No eggs, very little dairy, no bread except for some hamburger buns (which were on my list) and no dry goods such as beans, pasta or rice. All of the Stovetop Stuffing and Rice-a-Roni type items were gone along with the canned and frozen veggies. There were no paper goods to be found. What they did have was plenty of chips, cookies, crackers, ice cream (bought four boxes - guess that makes me a hoarder!), frozen dinners/pizzas, booze and soda. I was able to get everything on my grocery list and we're all set for a week or so when we'll need to re-stock our supply of fresh produce.
    ...See More
  • bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

DH wants to go up and down the aisles. I go where I need to go. He wants to push. So I just go off and fulfill the list and meet up with him in the aisles to drop items in the cart, then off I go again. Only, he might replace something I picked out with what he thinks is a cheaper version. Ugh. So much wasted time and energy. It took us almost an hour today.

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

D_gw, mine will sometimes want to get the smaller one! because it's cheaper. But I just have to replenish it sooner.

• sushipup1
    6 years ago

I have another reason for hating to shop with my DH. Before he retired, he'd stop at the small grocery store on the way home from the office and pick up whatever we needed for dinner. And I would do the shopping for staples and whatever else we needed on my own. We tend to shop several times a week.

But since he has retired, now we often shop together. He's got arthritis in the spine, so now he wants to drive the cart, for support. Flne, but I miss the cart. Even when we have a list, he wants to rush thru it all. Know how you are looking for something, but not sure where it is? You start down an aisle, only going far enough to know the item is not there, then come back. Well, he follows me every step. Drives me crazy. I have started telling him "stay" like I tell the dog. And then he starts complaining that he's tired of being on his feet. So I'm distracted enough to miss half of what I needed. Sometimes I just tell him to go sit down by the Starbucks and wait for me, and he does, but then he pouts and wants me to hurry up. Sigh. Reminds me of shopping with a toddler.

We have not adjusted to this retirement thing. I sometimes feel like running away from home for a few hours, but it's hard to get away without him.

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My dad would take my mom shopping, then wait for her in the car. He would keep track of how long she'd been and how many people entered and exited while she was shopping. "That person went in after you and came out before you."

My DFIL would take MIL to the store, then linger over a coffee, donut, and newspaper waiting for her. Then the Loblaws became a NoFrills. Ugh. No frills, no coffee, not even a bench.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My father who was annoyed that he finally had to retire at 79 started going to the supermarket with my mother and it was awful. I had to tell him to knock it off. Then he started going instead of her and kept buying canned vegetables which we never ate in our house ever, and he would not eat after he tasted them. And lots of snacks. It was probably a year before it got all sorted out.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    6 years ago

"That person went in after you and came out before you."

The mental image of that conversation taking place had me laughing ;0)

I don't especially like to shop with DH either, and rarely do grocery shop with him. Except Costco. For selfish reasons, I invite him to Costco. The closest is an hour away and I have a list that often contains bulky or heavy things - it is Costco after all. He will fetch and carry, load the car, load the cooler in the back of the car, then do it all again in reverse when we are home.

I pulled a mega bag of potting soil off a stack into my cart when alone one day, and almost left it in the cart in the parking lot. I couldn't lift it into the back of my car.

• User
    6 years ago

bpathome - Please share the name of your local chain that moves things only occasionally. That sounds like heaven. I moved a year ago and am still trying to decode where my now local/same grocery chain hides things.

• chickadee2_gw
    6 years ago

Sushipup, I hear you about the retirement thing. Thankfully, my husband's hobbies keep him from following me on my little jaunts. My husband has zero patience for shopping so I'd have to medicate him before I could get him to walk along with me in a supermarket. When we go shopping together, we have our own carts, I give him the no brainer list of easily found items because finding things is a challenge for him, even in our refrigerator. We meet up in the magazine aisle when I'm finished. If I'm taking too long, he'll check out and call to tell me he's in the car. If he's got something to read, it buys me more time. I only like him to come when I'm doing a big order, and need paper towels and such that will take up too much room in my cart.

• LynnNM
    6 years ago

I am laughing out loud reading all of your comments . . . and Me, too! Thank goodness the only store we shop at together most of the time is Costco twice a month. He always wants to push the cart, but has no concept of where to stop so that he's not blocking the aisle. And, being a family practice doc, he has to read the ingredients of everything we consider. We do eat very healthfully, but it drives me crazy how much time he spends doing that! On the other hand, he likes to come with me if I'm shopping for clothes or shoes. He has great taste, so I do trust his opinions. And, he's very generous. For example, we stopped in at a shoe store in Tucson last month to look for one pair of flats for me. I came away with 3, because he found two more that he liked. Unlike me, though, he's not into shopping for bargains.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

LOL!! I went grocery shopping with exH once - that's was enough. Although he never did any cooking, he sure did have a lot of opinions on what we should buy.....stuff I would never use and he wouldn't like if he tried it. We did go shopping together at Costco and that was actually fine as there was enough other stuff beyond food items to keep him occupied. And he would graze all the sample tables and actually came up with a few tasty items from those I would have passed right by!!

OTOH, he was great to take nursery shopping. Although not a gardener in any real sense of the word, he appreciated my enthusiasm and liked plants. So there was never a issue on limiting what I could buy and he just as often footed the bill.

Just an aside, since our divorce and his remarriage, he has now taken up both cooking and gardening, as new wife is completely unskilled in both activities :-) So now he calls me for recipes for his favorite dishes I made and advice on gardening. I guess something positive rubbed off on him...........

• S Rodriguez
    6 years ago

Take the credit card . Leave hubs at home!

• blfenton
    6 years ago

"Stay" - sushipup, love it. I'm still laughing at that. My mom has Alzheimers and if I take her out that's what I say to her as well. I feel bad but she listens. :)

IF and I mean IF my DH comes shopping he stands at the tabloid section and reads all the latest Hollywood gossip and then on the way home I get "Did you know that so-and-so is dating so-and-so but apparently so-and-so1 is gay" Oh really?

When my DH retired I laid out some rules - You can't come shopping with me, you can't come running with me and my running buddies, you can't come for coffee with my coffee buddies. I am not your hobby. He took it to heart and reconnected with neighbour friends and volunteer work.

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

S Rodriguez, we each have our own card!

We do like going to Costco together if I'm not getting something in particular. It's kinda fun. But we watch the free samples. When it first opened we tried all the samples and got a bit queasy. Now we limit to two or three tables, and only one sample at each.

Delilah, it's Sunset.

• 3katz4me
    6 years ago

DH very rarely goes to the grocery store with me. Sometimes we end up at Costco together and we buy a few groceries but that's about it. Why does one take the nuisance spouse along to the grocery store? Do they insist on going along?

• User
    6 years ago

When dh retired last year he wanted to tag along all the time. At times it aggravated me, then I started to enjoy the company. He's not overbearing, lets me move at my pace, doesn't question my choices. He does pick up things not on my list, but that's ok. He's also willing to run to the store whenever I need something and don't feel like going myself.

• sushipup1
    6 years ago

Do they insist on going along?

Yes, they insist. Like the sad puppy eyes with deep sighs and "oh, well, I guess I can just go sit in the corner..."

• 3katz4me
    6 years ago

Wow - I cannot imagine DH ever wanting to go to the grocery store with me.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    6 years ago

We we go to the market together all the time, often stopping for lunch on the way. Maybe it's because I travel so much during the week and it's time we get to spend together.

Neither one of us buys much junk food and we do have our own stuff (like coffee and tomato preferences) that we just buy for ourselves. I push the cart in and he pushes it out. We linger at the cheese and cured meat counters like it's sexy time.

• satine_gw
    6 years ago

My husband loved grocery shopping and cooking. I loved shopping together--I picked up the necessities and he bought all the "special" things he needed when he was planning a meal. He is deceased and for a long time I couldn't grocery shop without ending up in tears. Silly I know.

• cooper8828
    6 years ago

satine, my friend's husband did all the shopping and cooking. She said it took about four years after he passed before she quit having meltdowns in the grocery store. Not silly at all.

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Satine and cooper, thank you. Time for a change in mindset here!

• Bunny
    6 years ago

When my husband was alive we almost never went grocery shopping together because who likes grocery shopping and why make more than one person have to do it? I'd go or he'd go, but never did we say, let's have fun and go buy groceries together.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    6 years ago

We frequently - almost always - grocery shop together since we've been retired. I've had a series of illnesses and periods of time when I could not drive, or cook. Don't know what I'd do without him. Have taught him a lot and he's an enthusiastic cook now - a blessing to me.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

DH is retired so sometimes I send him to the store for specific things. Believe me I have to be very specific or I get weird things. I even make him take a photo with his cell phone sometimes so he gets it right.

When we shop for a lot of groceries together he's the darter and I stay with the cart. I'm on aisle 3 and he runs off to get his coffee creamer, comes back then runs to get his bread, comes back then runs to get his cereal, rinse repeat about 5 times until he's done. Then he says aren't you finished yet? Ummmm, no i'm only half done so why don't you go get x? We finally make it to the end after a couple more 'aren't you done yets'. I don't know what this is going to be like when I retire next month!

• eld6161
    6 years ago

We used to. Then DH realized that sometimes at those times he could be at the gym. He wanted me to shop earlier. I have absolutely no reason to rush through this task or to go early.

So, unless I have an unusually large shop for a holiday, or if he wants bottled water, I go alone. I have to say that the bill is always lower when I shop by myself.

I don't really mind going grocery shopping.

My sister and her DH always shopped together. Now that he is retired though, he goes alone. He is great with the budget and always utilizes sale ciculars and coupons.

When they did shop together, they took two carts and divided the list, so they could finish faster.

• joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

I do most of the grocery shopping even though I don't paricularly like it and DH and I seldom do it together, but when we do it's exactly like Outsideplaying's. DH darts around getting what he wants and when he's done it's "are you almost done" "how much longer?" I then find myself rushing and it drives me crazy.

We usually do Costco together but as mentioned, there's enough there to keep him distracted. We usually separate, then I have to call him to find him.

"That person went in after you and came out before you." I know my dad said that to my mother on multiple occasions.....memories!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 years ago

TBH, I dislike grocery shopping with anybody, not just hubby, & he's actually gotten better, leaving me & wandering off by himself until it's time to pay & then pulling out his wallet. I tend to get distracted by shopping companions & forget stuff, even tho I try to make meticulous lists. Haha - I sometimes even order my lists to reflect the order of the store aisles!

& then there's my dear, sweet younger sister, who absolutely loses all sense of time & purpose the moment she steps into any store & then I become the impatient one trying to keep her on task...

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    6 years ago

Carolb - I always write my grocery lists to follow the floor plan of the grocery store(s). Have done so for years. Then, of course, they go and change the store around and I have to relearn where everything is. Drives me batty.

• ladypat1
    6 years ago

I have no significant other to grocery shop with. Thank God. The men in the store with their wives drives me nuts. Also the men who follow their wives around clothes shopping.

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

DH and I can't go clothes shopping! I can go with him, because he just waltzes into a store, grabs a pair of pants or whatever inhis size, pays and waltzes out again. I have to try everything on. And I don't care for clothes shopping anyway.

• westsider40
    6 years ago

Yesterday we went shopping together. It's kind of ok as long as I don't turn my head or don't see anything on sale to distract from the PLAN. Well, I have been wanting to try some knorr sauces but few stores have them. I was looking for them yesterday and when I found them in this huge store I was a bit pleased. The minute he saw me read the backs for the carb count, he said, "I'm leaving. I'll be in the car!" Ok, fine. And I happily explored the big unfamiliar store but not too many aisles.

hejust wanted to check on his new sports car to make sure it didn't toddle away. Ok fine I get it. Separation anxiety or tantrum. He believes there is a prize for the kid who gets out fastest. There is a scorekeeper somewhere.

He does most of the grocery shopping now. He can't stand to go with me. And how many carrots can you send him off to buy.

• sas95
    6 years ago

My husband and I go grocery shopping together most of the time. We both like to cook and eat, and we enjoy planning menus and choosing ingredients together. We consider it a joint "fun" activity, but clearly we are in the minority here! Our weekends usually consist of a trip to Whole Foods for the general grocery shopping, then Costco and a few specialty food stores.

My husband is the more "enthusiastic" shopper in that he will often want to buy perishables that we will have no time to use before they perish, so I can be a wet blanket for him sometimes, I'm sure. But it's generally an enjoyable and low-conflict activity.

• Gigi Johnson
    6 years ago

My husband is in the early stages of ALZ and he loves to go to the grocery store. He always wants to accompany me so I have learned to try to incorporate my shopping trips with another trip when he is not with me. I intentionally don't buy a few things that I know I need so I can send him on pick up trips. He always ends up calling me while he is at the store for some reason or another. Usually he comes back with the wrong thing and every time he will say "this is all they had." Retirement has not been as I imagined it would be.

• blfenton
    6 years ago

acdc - I'm so sorry. My mom has Alzheimers and I go to a number of meetings etc with the Alzheimers society. I always feel for those with spouses that have been diagnosed with Alzheimers and hope that neither my DH nor I ever walk that road.

• IdaClaire
    6 years ago

acdc - my heart goes out to you. Your situation helps provide a different perspective for those of us who have not experienced such a thing.

I haven't done a full-on grocery shopping expedition on my own in many years, and I tend to shy away from the grocery store at all costs. That's DH's territory, and I must admit he's very good at making the weekly list and taking care of it all. He would probably say about me what many of you have expressed about your husbands -- I'm sure I am an annoyance to him on the rare occasion when I accompany him to the store to do the shopping. He knows exactly where things are (which, as others have pointed out isn't easy since the two stores that we frequent are forever reshuffling items), and he becomes single-minded and very focused once he's pushing that cart. Since it's something of a novelty to me now, I tend to amble along and take things off the shelves that we don't really need, so our bill almost always ends up being higher when I'm along.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago

I am sorry, acdc.

We rarely go together because of something DH did to me years and years ago. (I don't remember if I told this story before on here or not. Oh well.)

It was near Christmas. The store was packed with shoppers. We had lots and lots of groceries to buy, and our cart was filled to overflowing. I started piling the stuff on the counter and the young woman checker was tediously punching them in. This was in the old days before barcodes.

Anyway, she got about halfway through when DH turns to me and says LOUDLY, "Did you bring enough food stamps to pay for all this???" (Let me say here that we were NOT, and have never been, on food stamps.) The young woman looked up, astonished, and said equally loudly, "If you are paying with food stamps, you're supposed to tell me ahead of time so we can separate the items!!"

Everyone nearby turned to stare, DH nearly fell on the floor laughing, and I - with red face - tried to explain to her that he was just kidding.

And that's why we rarely go together.

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

Most of this thread related very well to me, now I just make a list and he goes alone. I can't take it hahahahhah.

• mrrogerscardigan
    6 years ago

My husband hates it when I accompany him to the grocery store. I do all the annoying things, no idea why.

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

DH does all the grocery shopping and 95% of the cooking (he is retired.) I do not like being in a supermarket with him. My solution is to shop for the specialty items, without him. It works for us!

• localeater
    6 years ago

My dh has tried to pick up grocery shopping as a way to relieve some of my household burden. However it comes with a lot of rules. I have to be very specific on many items including brand and size, quantity on things like apples, to be honest, as the cook, I would prefer to select my own ingredients. But, I do need relief of tasks. So I let him shop some weeks, other weeks I shop myself and 'fill in the holes'. Some weeks we go together but we are not together, I send him off to get the clearly defined items and he knows I have the right to say he brought the wrong thing back.

• aok27502
    6 years ago

My DH will stop for beer or wine. Everything else is up to me, and I'm fine with that. He buys the motor oil and ant bait, I buy the food.

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Localeater, the specifics of shopping are an issue! It's like when my parents do their shopping. If they give me their list over the phone, all they have to say is "milk, oj, malted milk balls" and I know they mean "half gallon of 2%, Simply Orange Lots of Pulp, and the store's malted milk balls in a clear deli container". When they give the order to the store, they have to be very specific or they end up with Whoppers. Fortunately, I prefer Whoppers so that part is okay lol.

Even if I'm very specific with DH, he gets the brand he thinks is better/cheaper. He usually goes for "made in the USA" but I go for "comes from within 10 miles" if possible.

On the other hand, he will go off-list to buy pie fixin's and then make pie!