SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_pichulo

Tried to go grocery shopping

KennsWoods
4 years ago

I've recently moved and I've been eating at my son's house at his request, so I've got the bare minimum of food at my house. My son and dil both work in healthcare and on Mon started started a strict protocol of isolation after work. Dil's 80 year old mom lives with them. My meals with them ended on Sun and son strongly suggested I follow an isolation protocol too. I'm 73, live alone with a new puppy, take no meds and in good health.

Before I moved I shopped at Save a Lot and since there is a store about a 2 minute drive from my house that's where I went this morning. There was actually more stuff on the shelves than I expected. When I 'cook' for myself I generally eat out of cans, mostly veggies by default. When I got to the canned veggy section there was a hand-written sign stating there was a twelve can limit PER VARIETY, so I got twelve cans of the ones I wanted. I finished shopping and went to the check out. I had half emptied my cart when the cashier said there was a twelve can limit on veggies and I told her what the sign said. She continued to ring up my stuff and again said there was a limit and I'd have to pick the twelve varieties I wanted because once twelve cans were rung up the register would lock out the rest. Again I told her what the sign said and she said there was nothing she could do. I was so pissed I left the store without purchasing anything.

All info says 60-80 year olds are at greatest risk and should limit any outside contact. That was exactly what I was trying to do and wasn't allowed to do so. To add insult to injury the stores are cutting back on their hours, thereby forcing more people to be shopping at any given time. Tomorrow when the stores open I'll attempt to buy some food. There are a plethora of grocery stores in my area, but if I'm forced to go to multiple stores I'll be out for hours. IF that's the case, and I don't know that it will be, I'll be inclined to say the hell with it and carry on as before. So much for reducing contact and isolation.

Comments (43)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert