What Are You Baking This Week?

Marilyn_Sue

I am getting ready to make Aunt Duddie's English Muffin Bread. I have not made it before but so far all of her recipes I have made are great. I also have on my list sometime soon, to make a small pan of peach cobbler using small can of sliced peaches. Are you baking?

Sue

SaveComment108Like2
Comments (108)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lulu bella

I have not been baking at all and think I should do something about that. We packed away my kitchen in anticipation of a remodel that is now on hold, so that is some of the reason why I have not baked.

I am going to search out my mixing bowls and mixer and I am pretty sure I will bake a banana bread/cake that is always a hit. It was my mother in law's recipe.

I also have very poor willpower and it's just DH and moi so hopefully I can be a good girl. :)

Can you share the 2 recipes you are using?

Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
Lucille

A few days ago I baked an apple pie, yesterday I made olive/anchovy pizza, today I'm making a loaf of white bread in the Zojirushi.

nicole___

Yesterday I made lasagna, with a layer of spinach in it. A pan of cornbread sounds pretty good!

1 Like Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
foodonastump

I made Koulourakia for Easter last week using my MIL’s recipe; it came out very well but I think I’m going to try it with Ouzo for Orthodox Easter. And while I’m mixing up cultural traditions, I never did get around to hot cross buns last week so maybe I’ll make them for this Good Friday. Saw a recipe on KA’s site that mentioned using the tangzhong technique so I figure kill two birds with one stone and try that out. Might also make Greek Easter Bread. My wife texted me a recipe so I’m assuming that’s a hint. One definite is I’ll be trying out a new dough for my Covid-traditional Friday night pizza.

I think that sounds like plenty of baking for this non-baker!

nancyofnc

I baked brownies with butter-flavored Crisco, egg beaters, and self-rising flour with melted chocolate chip frosting and a tad of butter. Then, a tub of yogurt was getting funky so I made Cheese Pie with it plus cream cheese with a ground up gingersnap crust that "expired" in 2018 - those leftovers went into the freezer. Both are wonderful but I felt good about keeping the good stuff in the freezer (butter, eggs, AP flour) for later when they won't be on the shelves. Last week I made 4 loaves of bread with generosity from a neighbor who donated 10# AP to me in return for making a dozen English Muffins for her.

graywings123

I made the Jenny Jones lemon brownies. Not bad. I ate the entire batch in a day and a half. No more baking for me!

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
satine100

I made orange cranberry muffins. Have been having them for breakfast and froze a couple for next week. I think I'll make a quiche today or tomorrow to use up some ham and asparagus and cheese left from Easter.

rob333 (zone 7a)

Peanut butter cookies, yum!

georgysmom2

Crusty bread, pound cake and chocolate chip cookies.

2ManyDiversions

Artisan bread for pizza dough. Perhaps a chocolate cake if time. We've got a freezer full of homemade bread already. I might make corn bread muffins - I usually make a whole cast iron pan of them, but muffin size might be nice. I'm mostly looking forward to pizza, though : )

cooper8828

Cinnamon rolls. I'm thinking peach cobbler also. Great minds think alike!

functionthenlook

Nothing. I still got pound cake I made last week, cookies from a neighbor and banana bread my daughter brought for Easter. My hubby is the only one who can eat it and he isn't big on sweets. I'm gluten intolerant so I can't eat any of it. I'm probably going to freeze some of it.

chloebud

We have a huge lemon supply from our tree. Thinking about making Ina G's lemon cake today.

Annie Deighnaugh

DH likes pancakes but he usually burns them in a fry pan, so he came across a recipe for baking them in a large sheet pan and then cutting them up. I think he's going to make some blueberry ones today....

stacey_mb

I love to bake but don't dare unless other people are eating besides DH and me. But next week is my birthday and I'm "inventing" a special treat where I'm going to combine some of my favorite flavors - lemon, coconut and cream cheese. I will bake a lemon pound cake loaf, split into three layers, brush layers with lemon juice/sugar mixture, fill layers and frost with cream cheese frosting and sprinkle coconut over all.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
DawnInCal

Blackberry cobbler. I was going to make blackberry cheesecake, but didn't have enough cream cheese, so I am going to make that next week after my every two week trip to the grocery store.

We're also going to have pizza next week; love that bread machine pizza crust! Hubby had a chocolate chip cookie craving the other day, so I made him nine cookies using the frozen CC dough I had already put in the freezer for days like that.

CA Kate z9

Multi-fruit pie. I called friends to share the pie and, in turn, they each brought me a piece of their pie! ;-) Apparently this is pie baking week.

bragu_DSM 5

I make cookies every weekend. they are supposed to last until the following weekend.

being home all the time is turning into 9 meals a day!

j/k

at least that's what my rounder, fuller binge butt is saying ....

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
Kathsgrdn

I finally was able to get an order in late last night for Walmart delivery for this weekend. I deliberately didn't buy bread so I could make some of my own since my daughter brought me packets of yeast the last time she dropped groceries off for me. Now thinking stove top English muffins would be good too, but I won't make both since it's just me here. I'm not off until the weekend so have a few days to decide.

nickel_kg

Cibatta-type square buns. The dough is almost ready to shape. I'm going to decant it onto parchment paper, gently form a rectangle, cut it into squares, barely pull them apart. I'll let the squares rest a few minutes while the oven heats up, then bake. Hoping for nice chewy sandwich buns.

hallngarden

No knead bread, peach cobbler, and my favorite, touch of grace biscuits. Have been crock pot cooking different varieties of beans each week. The bread or dessert seems to make meal little more special. As we have gotten older , notice we don't eat as much meat as when we were younger. Make sure we get out protein in other foods.

cloudy_christine

FOAS, does your wife's recipe for Greek Easter Bread use mahlab? I'm planning to bake some this week but my mahlab is many years old, so I don't know if it'll even be possible to grind it. It's like stone to begin with.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

We're still trying to finish up the coconut cake I made Easter Sunday. Nothing special... White cake mix but I added some Watkins coconut flavoring to the liquid. That gave it a little more flavor. Fluffy white frosting also from a mix. Found it in the back of my baking cupboard and that was what made me decide to do a coconut cake. Fortunately I have plenty of coconut.

foodonastump

CC - Here’s the recipe she sent, probably chosen due to nice picture than any consideration of the actual recipe:

https://www.greekboston.com/food/pastry/tsourekia-recipe/

Hadn’t opened it until you just asked. It calls for anise, or mahlab “if you have it.” I never heard of mahlab before this past Christmas baking and still don’t really know exactly what it is. I’ll google. My anise is probably as ancient as your mahlab. I have to go out for lamb (hopefully) so I’ll see what I can find, then.

Do you have one of these? It’s awesome for nutmeg and I’m wondering if it’d work for mahlab:

plllog

Passover is ending! I'll be baking bread. :)

Chloebud, how many lemons go in your cake? My lemon cake only takes one or two, depending on the size.

OutsidePlaying

Baking nothing! However, fresh strawberries are in season, Yay! So we bought a big basket from our usual vendor near here today, fresh from the field, so we will have strawberries with whipped cream tonight.

blfenton

Strawberries in season already. Wow. Ours aren't in season until June/July,

I made cheese/apple muffins which were more like a biscuit but were really good.

KatieC

I've been avoiding baking but last weekend I made the rest of last fall's apples into applesauce and apple butter. Then I found a package of wonderful crystallized ginger a friend had brought me from Australia buried in the pantry so I broke down and used a few of the apples in a gluten free apple ginger upside down cake.

shambo

FOAS & Cloudy Christine, I make tsoureki every year for Easter and flavor it with ground mahlab. I keep it in the freezer, wrapped in foil and several layers of cling wrap, all inside a plastic freezer bag. So it lasts a few years before I replace it. When I first started making tsoureki, mahlab was hard to come by, but now most reputable online spice purveyors offer it.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
nancyjane_gardener

I've always failed at bread (except for beer bread) for some reason

Found a recipe for almost no knead bread that I might try cause it's going to rain.

Hubby says he won't bake bread cause if he succedes, I'll get pissed off!

I think we should bake it together, then I won't get pissed off!

marilyn_c

Probably nothing, but I have the stuff remaining to bake a fruitcake and that has crossed my mind. I have also thought about baking cookies for forever. It is just that the weather is so nice that I am outside all day and in the evenings I have lost the urge to bake. And then there is the fact that we don't need to eat all that stuff, and just two of us here....and I am the one who will keep snacking.....but, I keep thinking about it.

cloudy_christine

Wow, FOAS, that is huge recipe! 10 to 11 cups of flour for one braided bread.

Shambo, when I was baking with it years ago, the ground mahlab was never fresh enough. I should have realized that might have changed. Unground it was also very hard to find. Spice dealers didn't have it even recently, but I will check again. I do have some that's been in the freezer (I think) and some in the fridge for years. But I should look for a new source.

FOAS, it's like little stones. Tiny pits from a species of cherry. The flavor is hard to describe. It's really not like anything else. That looks like a cool nutmeg grater but I don't think it could deal with little pits. I use a coffee grinder that we keep for spices.

dedtired

i made a big pan of Mac and cheese and before that some banana bread. I read that one of the most popular searches on google since the pandemic started is for banana bread recipes.

Winter

Due to hoarding in my area many regular items are missing from the store shelves. I went without bread for over a week due to this phenomenon. During that time I rummaged around the internet looking for yeast free bread recipes. There was no yeast to be had in my area either. Here's one that I found and baked this morning. Unfortunately, my wheat flour was old and the product did not rise as high as I had hoped...but it smells delish and I am anxious to have a nibble.

https://www.shelovesbiscotti.com/quick-whole-wheat-honey-bread/

skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

Today it will be spice cake. DH has taken over the baking, which I did none of before. He's pretty good for having no experience. So far its been cookies (chocolate chip and oatmeal), pie (apple) and cake today. I'm not to help or interfere but am available for consult Surprising, I find that difficult - I'm tempted to help and call out instructions then think-his mess, he'll clean it up. Today I'll grease the pan and frost the cake - that's it. Now if he could just get on with it I could have this thing for supper. :) He'll do the dishes too. A most satisfying arrangement all told.

shambo

CC, you’re right about mahleb’s taste being hard to describe. I first tasted mahleb flavored tsoureki when I bought a loaf at a Greek store across from St. Sophia in Los Angeles. It was love at first bite. After that, every Easter we’d try to make a trip to buy another loaf.

I was sorely disappointed when we moved to San Jose and then Sacramento and started attending local Greek festivals. They all sold tsoureki, but they didn’t have that unique flavor that only mahleb gives. I didn’t know the source of that taste, but I was determined to find out what it was.

I discovered that it was either mahleb or masticha. I found ground

mahleb and gave it a try. Eureka! I know some authentic recipes use both, but I’ve stuck with just mahleb.

cloudy_christine

Shambo, where do you buy it?

ghostlyvision

In the past week I baked some sweet buns (was going to do raised doughnuts but found I was low on oil after readying the dough), hamburger buns and some naan on the grill.

Today I baked a mandarin orange snack cake; in order to stretch my flour I bought a couple of those 1 layer yellow Jiffy cake mixes, I mixed one box according to package directions except instead of 1/2 cup water I used the 1/4 cup juice I got from a mandarin orange (and 1/4 cup water), about 2/3 of the zest from the orange and added 2 tablespoons of sour cream to the batter. The rest of the zest I used in the icing, using about 3 tablespoons of cream cheese, a cup or so of powdered sugar, a splash of vanilla and half and half to a thinnish consistency, didn't want "frosting" or for it to be too sweet, more of a thick glaze.

It came out really well, hub isn't a big cake eater but has been on an orange kick lately, so served it with some diced orange sections and he liked it quite a bit.

Still haven't found any yeast, the starter I began a week ago should be taking on some sourness soon so will be making a sourdough bread before long. It's starting to get warm here so baking will be leveling off. Probably.

adellabedella_usa

I'm attempting not to bake too much. I bake a loaf of bread almost daily. I baked a cake from a mix per special request. Just remembered I'm supposed to make beer bread today. Ddn asked to make beer batter wienerschnitzel. I'm supposed to use the rest.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

We've been eating way more than we should so here is tonight's non-baked dessert:

Tasted really good!

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
amylou321

SO grilled some cornish hens for us yesterday so I made/baked a small batch of mac and cheese before I went to work for him to eat with his. Maybe a little more than my tiny pink baking dish should have held. I put foil under it in case it bubbled over.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
sheilajoyce_gw

I asked DH to buy some peanut butter. Forgot to tell him to avoid 'natural.' I now have 2 jars of natural. So I will bake with it. Just finished up a batch of peanut butter cookies. Tomorrow I plan to bake peanut butter quick bread. I baked some many years ago, and it was good. But I don't have that recipe any longer, so I will be trying Paula Deen's recipe.

salonva

Oh my mac and cheese, That won't be happening here because as much as I have negligible will power for sweets and ice cream, mac and cheese is impossible to resist. (so I maybe eat it once a year at a restaurant as a side dish---- portion control !).

Funny the mentions of banana bread. I keep thinking of making one. With buying the bananas in bulk now, I end up with the super ripe which i typically put in the freezer for just this purpose.

My recipe is called banana bread but it's so sweet; really not a bread at all. I may use craisins in addition to the usual raisins.

I need to learn how to properly freeze these goodies. I know so many of you do the baking and then freeze so it's available later. Somehow my attempts at freezing yield some poor results.

Anyone have any pointers to share?

Lynda R (USDA 9b, Sunset 23)

Not quite baking, but I made stuffed grape leaves yesterday. It has become a tradition to make them every spring when our grape vines first get their leaves. I used our homegrown lemons, parsley, red onions and mint. Yum!

naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan

Today I baked zucchini bread using shredded zucchini that was in the freezer for quite awhile. It tastes great. Most of the freezer items that have overstayed their welcome have been used now. Only some rhubarb and red currants remain from long ago...as far as I know. Everything else is more current.

joann_fl

I made a simple box of brownies last week, I think they were Betty Crocker milk chocolate. I only used 2 eggs, added walnuts. When cooled I used a chocolate fudge icing (in the tub) They were fabulous! I'm not all big on brownies but something about these were so good. I am getting another box this week.

fawnridge (Ricky)

Hot Cocoa flavored cannabis cookies. 10 dozen baked this morning. 150mg zingers. Seatbelts required.

2 Likes Save    
Annegriet

Snickerdoodles

colleenoz

Had some bananas and pears that needed a home and some pecans I want to use up so today I baked pear-banana-pecan bread. Will have it for morning tea tomorrow.

Edited to add: It turned out well and DH enjoyed it very much. Despite him complaining he's gained too much weight he wants half to take back to the city with him :-)

Annie Deighnaugh

One of the PBS stations is re-running the old "Cooking with Julia Childs" shows and we came across one with Marion Cunningham of Fannie Farmer fame. They were doing quick breads, so I think I'll give Irish Soda bread a shot. I've never made it and it looks quite easy.

They also had a crumble topped muffin that DH might like to try.

bragu_DSM 5

impossible asparagus pie

sheilajoyce_gw

Annie D, our favorite Irish Soda Bread recipe is in the Sunset Cookbook of Favorite Recipes II. It makes 2 loaves, and I bake the kind using currants. It tastes so good toasted too.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

So who needs a donut shop?! Granted, they are from a mix but better than nothing. And apparently I made them for the 3 of us - me, myself & I. Mr. Curmudgeon snitted his nose in the air and said, "I only like yeast donuts." GRRR. I don't have a clue as to how to make yeast donuts!

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
Annie Deighnaugh

Well, not bad for a first stab, but I cut the cross too deep. It kind of exploded.

I'll let it cool and wrap and rest overnight and give it a taste tomorrow a.m.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

I have some English Muffin bread rising. It is the recipe from the King Arthur site. Ended up having to add 3 T of flour to the dough; I hate when I have to add more liquid or flour. It seems to me that that kind of bread never turns out very well. I now wish I had made the Aunt Duddie's English Muffin Bread mentioned by Marilyn Sue who originated this message string.

2pups4me

This morning I made a batch of korvapuustit - Finnish cinnamon rolls.

11 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

Wow, 4 pups - that looks good!

foodonastump

No kidding! Never heard of them, looked them up, google images doesn’t come up with anything that pretty!

Recipe?

2pups4me

Thanks! They are REALLY tasty. Here’s a recipe which includes good directions for making the “slapped ears.” If you can’t find pearl sugar for the tops, you can smash up sugar cubes into small chunks. It works in a pinch.

http://myblueandwhitekitchen.com/home/2014/10/9/korvapuusti-finnish-cinnamon-rolls

colleenoz

ediej, yeast donuts aren't very hard. I don't make them often because I don't like deep frying but I also prefer yeast donuts (though I'm thinking about making a recipe I found using a Boxed cake mix, Nutella and a pie maker :-)

lisa_fla

A couple of days ago I made a sour cream cinnamon coffee cake. Before that was a carrot cake for Easter. My daughter has already requested another one. I have some Irish soda bread sliced and wrapped in waxed paper in a Tupperware container in the freezer. I take a slice out when the mood strikes. Oh I also made a sour cream rhubarb pie recently too.

Sooz

I had some ricotta leftover from making lasagna, and I had an apple just sitting around with the lemons, doing not much, so I made a recipe I found for Ricotta Cake called Louisa's Cake. Link is below. I reduced the sugar to 3/4 of a cup with no discernible problem, and I think next time, I'll reduce the butter as well (the recipe called for 9 Tablespoons & I really think that can be reduced a bit without a problem). Definitely squeeze the liquid out of the grated apple. It came out really well, based on the fact that DH ate half of it before dinner!

The sweetpeas (the flowers, not the vegetable) in the background of the photo are from today's pickings.

Ricotta Cake

functionthenlook

I wasn't planning on baking this week , but I got so many freaking eggs I have to do something with them. We had 3 dz we got at the egg farm, then yesterday a friend dropped off 3 dz from his chickens.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Colleenoz, do you have a recipe for yeast donuts?

colleenoz

That cake does look good, Sooz. I'll put it on the "try soon" list :-) And those cinnamon rolls...

foodonastump

As I said I’m pretty much a non-baker. This weekend I learned a lesson that I already knew - in baking you can’t haphazardly replace things without considering their impact. I baked the same koulourakia as last week but subbed a tablespoon each of ouzo and grand marnier for one ounce of the cream. Now I know that aside from being wet they don’t have much in common, but I figured since most recipes don’t even seem to have cream I’d be safe. Texture and taste both suffered, and I taste neither.

I again forgot to make hot cross buns on Friday, so I made them for Easter2 instead. KA recipe, subbed brandy for rum (on hand) no dried fruit. They don’t look pretty but are delicious.

I didn’t make the Greek Easter Bread. Couldn’t decide on a recipe but more importantly got hung up on the Mahlab thing. And turns out my wife didn’t care at all, she was more excited that I found lamb.

Shambo - Do you happen to have a reliable online source? Most of what I’m seeing is ground, which I understand goes bad quickly. Whole, on Amazon, gets mixed reviews for being old. Also, if whole, how to grind? Will my coffee whizzer work? (Metal bowl) I see warnings not to put it in FP, and my experience with cloves gives me an idea why. Now that I know what it is, I see that the grater I pictured above is clearly not the tool.

Happy Easter to the Orthodox!

colleenoz

Foas, I suspect the difference with your koulourakia is that cream is mostly fat, so the fat content of your cookies would have been altered.

Judy Good

Later today I am going to make a german chocolate cake with pecan frosting. My DH favorite.

Lucille

This morning I made biscuits using cake flour. So light and flaky!

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Well, the KA English Muffin Bread smelled wonderful and looked beautiful when it was done. I removed from the pan, wrapped in a tea towel and put back in the unplugged Zoji to cool overnight. Unwrapped the bread this morning to make toast; the bread still smelled great. However, as I feared, the bread has no flavor. Won't be making that one again.

CA Kate z9

I baked Cranberry Orange Nut Bread last night. I use the recipe form Ocean Spray. I had vowed to only eat one slice and freeze the rest, but, alas, I'm down 3 slices already.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

CA, will have to look for the Ocean Spray recipe. I love the mix of cranberry and orange flavors. I did not even know Ocean Spray had a recipe for it.

happy2b…gw

Three very very ripe bananas are calling my name. Banana bread in my future.

HU-797908698

I just made TWO of the ricotta cakes! I had so much ricotta from making lasagna. I used only the 8 TBSP butter and an even cup of sugar per cake. I used regular 9” cake pans greased with PAM and floured. I baked 45 min as they weren’t set in the middle at 30. They are gorgeous and smell fantastic. We are waiting till after dinner to try a piece lol... maybe. ( this is Trailrunner can’t get it to let me change my name)

Cloud Swift

Pizza last night - one plain cheese (for my picky eater granddaughter), one tuna and one veggie.

Made peanut butter chocolate chip cookies with my grandson today. They came out really good and I'm not usually a fan of peanut butter cookies.

I'll be making pita bread to go with falafel for dinner. This will use up most of my dried garbanzo beans. If I don't find some more, it will be my last batch until things get better.

kadefol

I made Ina Garten's Lemon Yogurt Cake. Had to use white whole wheat flour because I can't find AP and also used evoo instead of veg oil. It turned out really delicious, very moist and the lemon syrup makes it even better.

mercurygirl

That sounds good!

I just started a batch of no-knead bread, luckily have yeast in the freezer. I haven't made it in years and DD doesn't remember it, think she'll like it.

Has anyone tried baking with monkfruit sweetener? Trying to avoid sugar around here.

I'm also looking for a good and easy cinnamon bread recipe.

salonva

I did make the banana bread and yay I did freeze half! The recipe calls for raisins and walnuts but this time I used cranberries. It's all good.

We had a lot of brown rice left over, and DH finally tried rice pudding. He loves it and I don't usually but this was really good!

Gooster

Banana bread last night, next up is some Turkish pide

mama goose_gw zn6OH

A few nights ago we had pizza, and tonight I made sausage rolls using the challah recipe from The Joy of Cooking. (1/3 whole wheat flour.) There was enough dough for 18 rolls and a round 'artisan' loaf. Lunch today was chili I'd made last night, so I pureed the leftover chili for dipping sauce for the rolls.

colleenoz

I have to admit the mental concept of sausage rolls made with bread dough seems odd to me, though no doubt they are good. Traditionally here they are made with puff pastry.

shambo

FOAS & CC, the last two times I ordered this brand from Amazon. But as I read the reviews, it seems as though there are problems getting whole kernels rather than the promised ground. I’ve never had that problem, but things can always change.

I’ve never ground up the whole kernels, so I’m not sure how you would do it. Mortar & pestle? Coffee grinder?

World Spice Merchants and Zamouri Spices also sell the whole kernels. I originally bought mahleb from Parthenon Foods, but I just checked, and they are sold out. That makes sense, though. Easter was just celebrated. https://www.amazon.com/Ziyad-Premium-Ground-Mahlab-Ounce/dp/B005SEMGYG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1EXNVQY7HK8YA&dchild=1&keywords=mahleb+ground&qid=1587356281&s=grocery&sprefix=Mahleb%2Cgrocery%2C251&sr=1-1

Marilyn_Sue

The Aunt Duddie's English Muffin Bread was very chewy. It will be good with some beef veg. soup or to make French Toast. I did make French Toast and I made thick slices for that. I sliced the rest in thick slices and froze for future use. I am thinking of making Aunt Duddie's Poufy Buns again. Love those, but I use the all purpose flour instead of half that and half bread flour. Expect that dough to really rise in the bread machine so watch it if you decide to make it. Lots of folks are baking, nice to see.

Sue

Save    
cloudy_christine

Thanks, Shambo. I grind the kernels in a small electric coffee grinder I keep just for spices.

Looking it up now, I found some sites say mahlab is the pits but some say it's dried kernels from inside the pits of those cherries. I figured they're very small because they come from a tiny cherry species. But maybe they are the kernels! Somebody is just plain wrong. Botanist needed! I have a friend whose daughter is a botanist. I'll email her.

cloudy_christine

Here is the Wikipedia article; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahleb

How odd that everything else says it's pits, as I always thought.

foodonastump

CC - I was reading/wondering the same thing. Reminds me of cardamom; I’ve seen people say include the pod when grinding. I don’t.

Shambo - Whatever it is that you’re leaving whole, it’s small enough or soft enough not to crack your teeth on?

I think I’ll wait for Parthenon to restock. Thanks for reminding me of that site.

mama goose_gw zn6OH

colleenoz, I've used puff pastry, but I didn't have time yesterday to make it. About a year ago someone asked about a traditional bread-dough sausage roll he remembered from his youth and wanted to re-create (I don't recall if it was this forum, or maybe kitchens), but I think the consensus was pizza dough.

This recipe says bread dough is more Asian than western.

BTW, I had a slice of the challah, buttered, for breakfast. Mmmmmmm. :)

Marilyn_Sue

I am baking again today. I found I had written down a recipe for bread and I also have it written down for the small loaf, so I got out the one pound bread maker machine and have a loaf of it kneading away. I hope this machine works all the way though. I have never baked in it but am going to try it today. This was the machine I paid $3.00 for and it is a Westinghouse. Very heavy to lift. The recipe is called Buttery Sweet Bread and calls for Bread Flour which I did use. I usually like to go by the recipe the first time I use it. I also have the recipe for a bigger loaf but thought I would try this today.

Sue

Save    
cloudy_christine

FOAS, when Shambo said she never ground up the whole kernels, she meant that she always buys and uses it already ground. She didn't mean she leaves it whole. The little pits are very, very hard. Like tiny cherry pits. Maybe harder.

foodonastump

Oh!!! Yeah that makes more sense!

kadefol

I'd never heard of Mahlab before reading this thread, but now I want some to bake with. :) There are several Middle Eastern stores in the city an hour away, so once we go back to "normal" and can drive there again, it's on the shopping list.

Here's some info re. how it's harvested.

Mahlab is an aromatic spice which comes from the stones or kernels from black
cherries. The kernels are cracked open, the seeds removed and dried.
These little gems are sold whole (which I prefer), or in powdered form. Mahlab is used mainly as a flavoring in baked goods –such as choreg, cookies, and cakes. It’s sold in Middle Eastern stores, or can be purchased online.

Powdered mahlab will lose its flavorful punch rather quickly, so it’s best to buy it in small quantities, and store it in a cool, dry place. Whole mahlab seeds store well in the freezer for a very long time. Grind it just before using for best results.

Mahlab has a very distinctive flavor. Some say its taste is a cross between a bitter almond, cherry, with a hint of rose. You’ll have to try it and decide for yourself. Once baked in a recipe, the scent is alluring, and the taste is subtle.
https://www.thearmeniankitchen.com/2017/11/a-lesson-in-mahlab-mahleb.html

shambo

Kadefol, that's a pretty good description. It's hard to pin down the actual flavor of mahleb. It's rather elusive. I've only used ground, but I get about 2-3 years out of it because I wrap the container in several layers of plastic wrap, then in foil, then in a freezer bag, then expel the air and keep it expelled by stretching rubber bands around the container.

The first time I used ground mahleb, I doubled, then tripled the amount called for when mixing the dry ingredients. It just didn't seem to be strong enough. Then, after proofing, I worried that I had overdone it. The smell was much stronger mixed with the liquids. I thought I had made a huge mistake. But once the bread was baked and I sliced it, everything was perfect. There was enough flavoring to remind me of that wonderful tsoureki I had eaten in Los Angeles, but it wasn't so strong as to make the bread inedible.

foodonastump

Patience is not my strong suit. I bought a couple jars from greekmarket.com. Now I’ve got to find a non-holiday something to try it in.

kadefol

Why not make a holiday recipe? I didn't have bread flour to make hot cross buns for Easter, so I am going to make them on the weekend.

amylou321

Still warm. Peanut buttah...

stacey_mb

^^^ Yummm!!

lisa_fla

I made a carrot cake on Easter. My daughter asked for

another today

blubird

Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies yesterday. Today I didn’t know what to make for dinner until it got late. I found I had a recipe for a 10 minute pizza. Wasn’t as good as my usual traditional pizza recipe, but it was quick and edible. I will reduce the salt next time.

colleenoz

Just put a loaf of CA_Kate's Grandma Wongstrom's Rye Bread in the breadmaker. Have been meaning to try this for a while. I'll let you all know how it came out :-)

Edited to add:

It turned out very well :-) I was afraid I had let it over prove but it had a great texture, moist and somewhat spongy. I did play around with the recipe (you knew I would :-) ) as it had 1/2 cup of rye flour and 2 3/4 cups of white flour, so I made it 1 cup of rye flour and 2 1/4 cups of white, and kneaded in a little more rye flour after the first rise. I might even try more rye flour next time :-)

Cloud Swift

Colleenoz, please post the link to the rye bread recipe you used.

Debby

I'm home for a couple days because I have a minor case of pink eye. Yesterday I made apple fritters. I didn't like them at all, not at all like you get a Tim Hortons (one of the few things I like from there). And today my daughter in law posted a "memory" from 6 years ago when I gave her a batch of peanut butter cup cookies, saying she could use more of them. I baked her a batch and am waiting for them to cook off enough to take out of the muffin tins

Marilyn_Sue

I made a big loaf of the Buttery Sweet Bread today. Plan to send that on to my youngest home.

Sue

Save    
colleenoz

Today I made another rye loaf, this one with 1 1/2 cups of rye flour and 1 3/4 cups of white flour. It’s also delicious. Thanks CA Kate.

I also made a batch of 2pups4me’s korvapuusti. They’re not quite as pretty as the picture above, but they look pretty darn good and they taste great. I’ll give some extras to DH to give the police who are manning the roadblock he has to come through to get home from the city and then go back to work. Our state has been divided into regions and unless yo have an exemption as DH does - he’s an “essential worker” who lives in one region and works in another- you can’t leave your home region to minimise the spread of Covid-19. It can’t be a lot of fun manning the roadblocks so this is my thank you for them letting DH through quickly.

Tomorrow is ANZAC Day, which is our Veterans‘ Day. We can’t attend mass services and parades as in previous years, so many people will be standing at the end of their driveways at dawn tomorrow (traditionally ANZAC Day commemorations start with a Dawn Service) playing the Last Post as best they can and waving flags and red poppies.

In the afternoon I will bake Anzac cookies, which were originally invented to keep well enough to send to the troops in Europe and the Middle East. They have oats, coconut and golden syrup, no eggs and are crunchy. And for dessert I’m planning to make cherry cobbler especially for DH.

Lynda R (USDA 9b, Sunset 23)

Our blueberries are ripe, so I made blueberry muffins and pie.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Spritz cookies today... The butterflies are almond and the green clovers are mint. I substituted 1 cup of pastry flour for 1 cup AP. The cookies came out light and crispy. They are (mostly - LOL) going in the freezer for my son & his family when the quarantine is lifted.

The Danishes are from a quickie shortcut recipe floating around Facebook. Made with crescent roll dough and a bit of cream cheese filling. I didn't have any pie fillings so I used some of a couple types of DH's just fruit spread. They actually taste pretty good. I've had this roll of crescent dough since Christmas, I'm surprised it was still good. So it got used up YAY.

I hope the weather improves so the rest of this week we can be outside working off all the calories we've consumed lately!

colleenoz

Didn’t get the Anzac cookies done Saturday because I discovered I was short a crucial ingredient too late to go to the store. So I made a quiche for Sunday lunch instead. Yesterday DH went to the store for me so I made the cookies. Will make more today along with date loaf for work and possibly some brownies.

foodonastump

Look familiar? (If not as pretty, and yes there’s a reason I’m only posting one!)

Quite delicious but Holy Cardamom! I wonder if mine (fresh ground) is a lot stronger than the recipe author’s is, or if this was intended. Could easily halve the amount and still have it stand out.

I’m a fan of the pearl sugar and have no doubt I’ll find additional ways to work through the two pounds I bought.

Thanks, 2pups!

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Kitchen of the Week: A New Island for Socializing and Baking
A couple downsizing from a Victorian home into a condo embrace warm, contemporary style in their new kitchen
Full Story
Kitchen Design 10 Terrific Kitchen Design Tips From This Week’s Stories
Find out how to hide a drying rack, choose tile finishes and more
Full Story
Life You Said It: ‘Stay Humble’ and More of the Week’s Tips and Ideas
Design advice, inspiration and observations that struck a chord this week
Full Story