SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_647860647

floating wood floor over tile feasible?

V Smith
4 years ago

Our house has tile throughout the main level except for the master bedroom and the living room. It's mostly travertine (2 bathrooms and laundry room have different tile). I hate the noise level that comes with the tile (we have 5 boys and they are extremely loud)

and I hate all the little pits in the travertine (dirty and hard to clean). Replacing the tile is a bigger project that we’re prepared to undertake but we’ve talked about having a floating wood (laminate) floor put over the tile. I have some concerns about how feasible this is and am looking for input on them.. One--the baseboards in the tiled areas are tile. Two—the toe kicks on the cabinets are tile. Three—the edge of our stairwell is tiled. Four—not sure how it would work to have a height different between a floating floor and the rest of the house. The carpeted areas are slightly higher than the tiled areas now, but the other tiled areas (bathroom and laundry room) are level with the tile. I've attached a few photos to show what I mean.

Comments (2)