SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Tuna salad poll

l pinkmountain
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Along the lines of going stir crazy staying home . . .

So today I suggest we take advantage of the many cans of tuna fish we have in the pantry and have tuna salad sandwiches for lunch. I get out the mayo, pickle relish and tuna. DH goes apoplectic at the abomination. According to him, NO ONE in the US makes tuna salad that way. How about with some home made bread-and-butter pickles then? No, the horror!! What kind of heathen am I??!! OK, not saying I am somehow in love with tuna salad with pickle relish or it is some big gourmet treat, but I thought tuna salad with pickle relish was pretty ubiquitous as far as the norm. Not saying the best, just saying the norm. So not asking what kind of tuna salad you like to make, but in your experience, how common is the kind with the pickle relish? I like all kinds, not really much of a tuna salad snob.

Comments (68)

• Compumom11
    4 years ago

Growing up my mother made my tuna sandwiches with Best Foods mayo, chopped celery and chopped egg from the wire egg cutter or the mouli grater. I loved it on white bread or toast, preferably with potato chips. DH likes it today with Best Foods mayo and his latest love, Tony Packo's Pickles from Ohio. Don't ask, the best thing about DD moving to Georgia was that Fresh Market carries Tony Packo's. He doesn't want a sandwich, prefers a salad unless I make a tuna melt on an English muffin.

• artemis_ma
    4 years ago

Mother always made hers as: tuna, mayo, celery, dill pickles, and a little ground pepper.

• Related Discussions

What do you put in your tuna salad sandwich?

Q

Comments (46)
    Eileen's post reminded me of this recipe. It's something they make at Whole Foods who were kind enough to share the recipe. It is delicious on a bit of lettuce or used as a spread on crackers. Tuna And Artichoke Salad Fresh tuna,poached in a court bouillon Mayo, they made their own, so did I but Hellmans would work (this is one time when I would NOT use Miracle Whip) Kalamata olives,chopped Artichoke hearts,chopped (canned) Green onions,chopped minced garlic oregano,dried lemon juice,fresh salt and pepper Mix , chill, go light on the mayo
    ...See More

Hoping to find: Crab, Shrimp & Tuna Salad

Q

Comments (3)
    You could use the remoulade sauce from this seafood salad recipe and just add your pasta, crab, shrimp and tuna. Ann Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table Seafood Salad ============== Combination plate of Cold Shrimps, Crab meat, or crab claws, or lobster, slices of avocado. Drizzle with Homemade Seafood Sauce. Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table Shellfish sauce - remoulade sauce ================================= Source: My Own 1 cup Homemade Mayo, or 1 cup Hellmans mayo 1/4 cup Chile Sauce 1 garlic Clove minced 1 tablespoon horseradish 1 tablespoon dijon mustard (Coarse) splash of Worchestershire sauce 2 tablespoons HP Sauce (or A 1 Sauce) fresh squeezed lemon juice fresh dill salt and pepper . Mix all of the ingredients together. Taste and adjust to suit personal taste. If you like Horseradish, add more, or more mustard.
    ...See More

RECIPE: Low-fat Tarragon Tuna Pasta Salad

Q

Comments (0)
    Found some great recipes at www.mayoli.com! They also sell the best tasting low-fat mayo made with olive oil. I use it for all my salads and sandwiches. Anyway, this is one of their delicious recipes. They have lots more on their website. My salads taste a lot better with Mayoli! Tarragon Tuna Pasta Salad: - 1/2 cup Mayoli mayonnaise - 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon or thyme, crushed - 3 cups macaroni, cooked, chilled - 2 stalks celery, sliced - 1 can (6oz) white tuna in water, drained & broken up - 1 can peas and carrots, canned, (14.5oz) In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise and tarragon. Add pasta, celery, and tuna. Gently stir in peas and carrots. Line serving plates with lettuce, if desired. Top with salad. Garnish with fresh dill or parsley if desired. Serves 4.
    ...See More

Let's talk tuna salad!

Q

Comments (27)
    Okay...I read this earlier and HAD to make some! LOL Albacore tuna, Miracle Whip, mustard, pickle relish...I will HAVE to try olives some time..love them!...and finely chopped onions. When I was a child, I didn't eat much of anything..VERY picky! In the summer we had 2 weeks of VBS from 9-3, so I would get a packed lunch. My mother would make me a tuna sandwich on buttered white bread and cut the crusts off, a handful of Cheetos and orange pop!!!! I thought I had died and was in heaven! LOL I never ate this at home, but loved it VBS.
    ...See More
  • cawaps
    4 years ago

I despise pickles, and I have to be careful at deli counters because pickles are, in fact, a pretty common ingredient in tuna salad. I think I've encountered them more often in chicken salad than tuna salad, but they definitely pop up in both. Don't even get me started on potato salad.

• lindac92
    4 years ago

Well it depends on what I am going to do with the tuna salad. For a sandwich I just use mayo ... and a bit of finely chopped onion and a squeeze of lemon....white bread toasted with lettuce please. If it's for a scoop of salad on a plate I put in some celery too.....and if I am trying to make a can feed 3 people I will add some hard boiled egg and more celery.
    But never pickle of any sort in tuna salad. And I save the slivered almonds for chicken salad.
    I do love, though, tuna salad on a bun, topped with some cheddar cheese, wrapped in foil and warmed in the oven until the cheese melts.
    My mother always sneered at people who tried to "stretch" a can of tuna with excess celery....but a hardboiled egg was OK. go figure!

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    4 years ago

I like mine with Mayo or Miracle Whip, I like both of them, plus sweet pickle relish, and hard boiled eggs, a bit of diced celery and even a bit of onion. I like it served on toast and some lettuce. I do not have any tuna stockpiled.

Sue

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    4 years ago

I like yellowfin tuna in olive oil, chopped sweet onion, capers, hard-boiled eggs salt & pepper. No mayo..a squeeze of lemon and on a baguette with lettuce and tomato.

• sushipup1
    4 years ago

My husband has been making the tuna sandwiches here for 42 years now. Tuna plus mayo. Way way back I recall tuna salad with relish. I have always hated bug chunks of celery in mine.

• foodonastump
    4 years ago

Although it was specifically not asked for, I’m enjoying reading what people are adding to their tuna. I’m generally making it for my wife and she’s in the “no crunchies” camp. Other than that she takes whatever I give her and that is generally chunk light tuna (not preferred for taste but for lower mercury), as little mayo as I think I can get away with, a good squeeze of lemon juice, black pepper, and celery seed. If it were for me I’d be adding onion to the mix. I would like celery but I’ve generally stopped buying it because I never get through it before it goes bad. I don’t have much need for relish in my life, but it’s had me thinking about capers. I see that seagrass mentioned them. These conversations always leave me wondering what miracle whip is all about, but I’m always left just shy of being tempted enough to buy it.

• nandina
    4 years ago

Tuna fish, a bit of chopped sweet onion, chopped celery, finely chopped apple, mayo, a bit of lemon juice, pinch of salt....and a pinch of both powdered coriander and cumin. My family approved this combination when I dreamed it up about 50 years ago. And, better yet, my Mother-in-Law insisted on this for lunch whenever she visited.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    4 years ago

Mine gets the entire crisper drawer and whatever else I'm in the mood for. Olives, capers, apples, celery, especially the inner leaves, fresh dill, sweet red/yellow pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, nuts, seeds, dried fruits, shallots, red onion. radish yellow beets, etc. celery seed, coriander, fennel...cilantro and its stalks, halved grapes, hijiki, crumbled seaweed snack squares. I finish in different directions like mustard, horseradish, yogurt, avocado or toasted sesame oil, ginger, miso, yogurt. avocado.

One can fills and entire baguette, 3-5 wraps depending on size, 3-4 sandwiches, favorite bread is RocklandBakery's pumpernickel/rye swirl sliced the thinest setting at check-out. Or just in a lettuce wrap, or a plated salad with quick pickles.

I'm not stretching the can. Its a healthy meal. Good for road trips, hikes, yard/garden work...wrap individual halves for grab-n-go quick lunches, and some in a fridge bowl. Lasts a couple days.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

I make tuna salad one of two ways. The preferred way is tuna, chopped celery, chopped hard boiled eggs and mayo PERIOD. The “omg, I need lunch and I forgot to boil eggs” way is tuna, sweet pickle relish, and mayo PERIOD. It’s either celery and eggs or sweet pickle relish and NEVER the twain shall meet!

I’ve never heard of putting onion in tuna salad. And, while I know you are all good cooks, I do not want vegetables, fruits, or nuts in my tuna salad. If you put it in front of me, I would eat it, but I wouldn’t make it and if I were out, I wouldn’t order it.

I love chicken salad stuffed tomatoes, but I cannot abide the taste of tuna and tomatoes together.

Guess what we are having for lunch? And because eggs are hard to come by right now, I’ll be making the tuna, sweet pickle relish, mayo version today. I may turn it into a tuna melt.

• KatieC
    4 years ago

Growing up tuna salad was tuna, Best Foods mayo, sweet relish, a titch of mustard and some worcestershire. DH grew up with chopped hard boiled eggs in his, so now it's all of the above, only with homemade mayo and relish. Sometimes I toss in a little chopped celery.

• ritaweeda
    4 years ago

Mayo, chopped boiled eggs, dill pickles, (sweet pickles or relish sounds gross) celery if I have it, tarragon, a splash of lemon. Period.

• Compumom11
    4 years ago

When I was first married a friend introduced me to tuna (always Geisha Girl in those days, not now) with 1/2mayo 1/2sour cream, chopped scallions and some lemon juice mixed together and let sit for a few hours for the flavors to meld. I liked the creaminess of that blend, probably because I'm not a big fan of the taste of mayo.

Fast Forward 25 years and I find that I'm intolerant to onions and the newest blend of mayo,made with SOY. I was even intolerant to tuna itself, but thankfully that passed. Now I eat plain, good quality tuna over greens with a lite apple cider vinegar or lemon juice and evoo.

I forgot to mention that Tony Packo's pickles are sweet hots or bread and butter style. DH likes either of them in his tuna salad. Another friend introduced me to chopped apple in the tuna salad. I loved the taste, DH didn't like the extra crunch.

Making one can last for two days and 3-4 sandwiches or wraps? I don't understand that math! LOL

• Compumom11
    4 years ago

That sounds good for a change!

• foodonastump
    4 years ago

Uh-oh the dairy/seafood police might come after compumom and cookebook!

ETA - oops, and all (including me) who make tuna melts!

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    4 years ago

Water packed tuna, drained. Bama mayonaise. Mt Olive sweet pickle relish. Chopped hard boiled egg. Iceberg lettuce. On bread, toast, or crackers.

ETA: If out of tuna, substitute poached chicken or ham.

ETA2: I like celery, but husband doesn't.

• nekotish
    4 years ago

I started putting relish in tuna years ago upon the recommendation of Weight Watchers, so that less mayo was used. I also like finely chopped celery because I like the crunch. I only do that if I'm going to eat it right away rather than packing a sandwich lunch, as I find the celery weeps and makes the bread soggy.

• cloudy_christine
    4 years ago

Sweet relish is a must. Just a little. And lots of celery and mayonnaise mixed with well-drained oil-packed tuna.

• plllog
    4 years ago

Oooh. Geisha tuna was (white albacore) the best!

Whole foods makes a really good tuna salad with red onions and dried cranberries, lemon juice and mayo. Sometimes the cranberries (which are sugared) are too sweet for me, but it's usually well balanced.

It sounds like a lot of you like the tuna wet. I don't like it when it gets gooshy. Just enough mayo/acid to make it hold together, please. Mine is more like Sleevendog's--something made up on the spot from what I have, and a salad rather than a sandwich.

Sadly, while I used to tolerate tuna fine, in the last few years I've been getting a reaction, and had to give it up. :(

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    4 years ago

One 'can' of tuna mixed as a salad in a lidded fridge bowl. The tuna salad in that bowl can make many sandwiches depending on the size of the bread on hand. Some or half of that tuna salad can stay in the bowl for a couple days to make more sandwiches or a cold salad lettuce wrap.

Here is a link. Click on the highlighted green 'HERE'...>>>...HERE

Not that unusual to elevate a salad as one likes. Or not that unusual to make it plain as one likes.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    4 years ago

My tuna salad--chopped hard boiled egg, mayo, Del Monte Sweet Pickle Relish, celery, dab of mustard, paprika. If there is no sweet pickle relish in the house, I don't make it till I can buy more. And it tastes best not with bread but with Wheat Thin crackers!

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

Tuna, a dab of sweet pickle relish, finely chopped celery and onion, pepper, dill and mayo. Served on good toast with a bit of melted cheese on top. This is comfort food for me, but my family doesn't like tuna so I only make it, my way, for myself.

No relish in my chicken salad... for that I lean toward curry style.

• Gooster
    4 years ago

For me, chopped celery, onion, dill pickles, lemon, S&P, a dash of dry mustard and mayo. This is sometimes done as a tuna melt. I've made alternative versions with a herb vinaigrette before (no mayo, no pickles) and its great, but different. And better as a scoop on a salad. I'm now craving tuna for lunch.

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

Well, until I read cookebook's version, I was perfectly content with mayo, lemon juice, celery, onion, and toasted almonds, various seasonings. I'm making a tuna melt for the first time in a zillion years tomorrow - wish I had the ingredients for cookebook's tuna. Eh, we'll live!

Not a fan of pickles unless they are my refrigerator pickles, and I prefer not to have those in my tuna or chicken salad. I did not have cans of tuna in my pantry (have some nicer tuna steaks in the freezer, but that's another meal).

• beesneeds
    4 years ago

Around here pickle relish in tuna salad is so common there's kits on the shelf that have just that- can of tuna, packet of mayo, packet of relish.

I sometimes do just plain mayo and tuna. But usually I toss in minced pickles, capers, onion.. often a good dash or two of Old Bay Seasoning, sometimes some lemon juice. Sometimes dill.

Sometimes I make it with mayo, tuna, and seasoning.. then build the sandwich with sliced onion, pickles, and sliced tomato. Sometimes lettuce, or sprouts, or a bunch of fresh dill leaves.

• momdino
    4 years ago

Well, I don’t know about adding relish to tuna salad, but hard boiled eggs, onion AND tomatoes, all chopped fine, went in our version, along with Miracle Whip. Now, I would go with good mayo, some onion and a healthy squirt of lemon.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Part of the issue is my husband does NOT like anything with a sweet and sour taste or a vinegar or citrus sweet taste. A lot of Asians and Eastern Europeans grew up with dishes made like that, so sweet and sour was a big thing in my family. Gefilte fish, which is chopped pickled fish in a sweet and sour brine. Pickled herring. Marinated shrimp is another example. I don't like herring or gefilte fish due to the texture, but I can take or leave the relish in tuna salad. Store bought relish is basically high fructose corn syrup, vinegar, green food coloring and some chopped up cucumbers to hold the flavor and color. I can well see why folks would not find adding that a plus, but that's why I make my own pickles. If you use Miracle Whip, you've got at least the sweet taste going on with the fish too. I didn't grow up with Miracle whip, and my Mom was one of those who limited our sugar consumption so no stuff like sweet tea, soda pop or Kool-aide or sugar sweetened fruit punches. So I generally don't like a lot of sweet foods although I like sweet and sour and citrus flavors. So I am fine with a plain tuna salad with just mayo, since that is not sweet at all.

The second issue is the crunchiness, and I am all for that in wraps and sandwiches. If I don't do crunch add-ins to the sandwich or wrap, I want some kind of crunchy salad or pickle on the side. As a last resort, I guess some potato chips . . . So that's why I offered some chopped dill pickles for the tuna salad. No. Perhaps a pickle on the side he said, but never in the salad. And not a bread and butter pickle, heavens no! That's two strikes!

• Gooster
    4 years ago

#rightnow, eating tuna melts, lunch on the west coast.

I almost forgot, perhaps my favorite tuna "salad" sandwich is a pan bagnat. Like Samrin's nontraditional version or a (slightly) more traditional recipe.

• Compumom11
    4 years ago

Pan bagnat, yum!

• Lars
    4 years ago

I made tuna salad yesterday with leftover grilled Ahi tuna. I have canned tuna for emergencies, but I haven't eaten any in years. Anyway, I made the salad with hard boiled eggs, minced celery & onion, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, mayo, and Lebanese cracked green olives (preserved with lemon and thyme). I had seasoned the tuna with Cajun seasoning before grilling it, and so it already had a lot of flavor. I do sometimes use dill pickles instead of olives, but never anything sweet. I served the salad on toast, but I also make wraps using whole wheat tortillas heated with Swiss cheese. If I have hummus, I add that to the wrap - I got that idea from Ina Garten, and it's really good.

I always prefer olives to pickles in tuna salad, but sometimes I will use italian giardiniera.

• jill302
    4 years ago

Pink - My MIL makes it just like your husband. Not bad, but I prefer pickles to onions. My recipe is fairly standard - tuna, pickles, mayo with small amount of celery seed or dill and mustard. Have also made it with cottage cheese instead of mayo. Usually eat the cottage cheese version on greens.

• colleenoz
    4 years ago

I used to work in a cafe where the owner mixed cream cheese in with the tuna, about half and half, muting the tuna flavour. It was fairly popular.

• beesneeds
    4 years ago

My husband reminded me of an Asian kind of tuna salad I sometimes make.

Tuna with soy, sesame oil, ginger, dab of mayo, splash of lime juice. Sriracha or wasabi.

Serve in a wrap, on sesame crackers, or rolled up in or on nori with some thin sliced green onions and shredded carrot.

If you skip the spice in the tuna, serve it with a nice bit of kim-chi and cold rice.

• Angela Id
    4 years ago

Trying to think ... tuna, diced celery, diced green onion, diced dill pickle, a couple of dashes of dried mustard powder, fresh ground black pepper, a little Best Foods mayo.

Love it stuffed in 1/2 an avocado!

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    4 years ago

These all, every one, sound good to me!

Cornichons, yum! Thanks for reminding me John that I want to try and grow some. Not sure if I'll find seeds though. This is the first year I am gardening at home, not at work! I just cut down a dying blue spruce to make room for a garden. But it's going to be quite small. The tree was tall and wide, but now that it is gone the spot it was growing in has a small amount of square footage. Oh well, just goes to show you there's a lot of potential energy to be captured from the sun in even a small spot!

• bpath
    4 years ago

Sweet Pickle relish and mayo. And celery. We found Doc's Tomatillo Relish at whole foods and it is even better in tuna salad. Egg salad is better with sweet relish, though.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

After reading all of this, I put a bit of minced onion in my tuna salad. I really liked it! Just proves, you can teach old dogs new tricks!

• Lars
    4 years ago

I sometimes make Japanese style tuna salad with ponzu sauce, ginger, and wasabi, especially if I have cooked the tuna Japanese style, with a soy sauce, yuzu, ginger, sesame oil, and wasabi marinade.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

Never have I ever eaten tuna salad with pickles in it. I do like pickles, but not like that. Not sure I ever even came across such a thing - I think I would've noticed.

And I don't even eat tuna any more because mercury. I make my 'salads' with canned salmon instead, and use a little minced celery, green onion and fresh parsley, a dab of dijon mustard, mayo, salt & pepper and a dash of Crystal sauce.

I did like to use chopped apples & bell pepper when I used to make tuna salad.

• Cloud Swift
    4 years ago

Like beesneeds, I like an Asian spin on it. Usually ginger, lemon or lime juice (depending what's ripe on our trees - have one or the other pretty much year round), scallions (or a bit of other onion if I don't have them). Sometimes put some type of heat in it - mustard seed, horseradish or cayenne.

Sometimes I put in chopped vegetables (tomato, bell pepper, or whatever else I have on hand that sounds good.

Two of our grandchildren are staying with us for a few days* and I made Pizza al Tonno for grandson. Tuna with some lemon zest and juice, fresh rosemary and thyme mixed in. That would be good on a sandwich too.

I'm not a mayo fan and find it holds together well enough without mayo.

*Both parts of the family have been strictly sheltering in place for weeks so we decided that it was safe enough to have the grandchildren over to give them a change of scene and their parents a break for a bit.

• twoyur
    4 years ago

Funny part of this was the other day someone asked about egg salad and I said I put onion may and tuna salad in it

well the reverse is true

I don't make tuna salad with out adding egg salad to it.

Its one of those things from long ago. Saturday lunch was either tuna or sgg salad

I had this issue with getting home on time. So what was left was about enough tuna for half sandwich and same amount of egg salad so... mixed them together ate it and never looked back

i still make them separately mix some together for me and let anyone else have what they want. Although many people end up trying the mix and saying this isn't bad

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    4 years ago

Made tuna salad for lunch today. Been quite a while. Celery, sweet pickles and hard-boiled egg, mayo mixed with thyme and savory. DH had his over chopped tomatoes and lettuce on a plate, I had mine as a sandwich with a slice of tomato. Yummy!!

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

Tuna, mayo, chopped onion.

• plllog
    4 years ago

No tuna, but I put dill pickles and pickle juice in the chicken salad today because of this thread. :) It also has celery, scallions, red curly kale, red bell pepper, paper thin radish batons, diced avocado, English peas, pistachios, garlic pepper, mustard flour, mushroom salt and mayonnaise. :) I think it needs paprika, but I'm letting the flavors meld before I do anything else. :)

• Anne
    4 years ago

My tuna salad has a little mayo, pickles ( husband likes dill and I like bread and butter..) pickle juice, dill, pepper, black olives, hard boiled eggs, onion and celery. I go light with mayo and keep it dry. Can always add a little as you serve. My husband likes it on hand for topping a salad. I normally only eat multi grain bread but I love my tuna in white bread.

• Anne
    4 years ago

I wonder if it is regional? I live and was raised on the mid Atlantic and I can’t imagine tuna without pickles! We also eat cole slaw on our pulled pork.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

@foodonastump, that link should have come with a trigger warning! 😆