SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcrz88

Awkward underutilized living room space...help please!

dcrz88
4 years ago

Living in Washington DC, we are very fortunate to have a massive 32' x 17' living room/ dining room open space with beautiful views of the city. Furnishing the long space behind the living room area with a unique windowed alcove has been challenging. We seem to have ended up with this long gallery behind the couch down to the alcove which is currently unfortunate storage for our misfit furniture that has no other place. Seems like such a waste.

I'm at such a loss as to what to do with this space. I worked with an interior designer and she suggested a buffet with a gallery wall of pictures above it, but we already have a buffet in the dining area. The designer suggested some upholstered chairs flanking the bookcases, but we have plenty of seating in the living area and that seems like a pointless place to sit. We have plenty of books so I was thinking that bookcases along the wall would warm up the space, and then putting a smaller desk into the alcove, but I'm wondering if any of y'all have some creative ideas we haven't thought of.

I was also thinking that the cozy alcove is a perfect place for the bookshelf and adding a lounge chair, but then what would we do with the long wall? I never use the desk because it faces the wall. I've tried to determine what our needs are: a place to put our books, a place to work from home, but how that translates to furnishing this area is stumping me.

Please excuse the clutter about. We're in the midst of "spring quarantine cleaning." Thanks, everyone, for the help!

Comments (10)