What have you learned about yourself in isolation?
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (32)
Related Discussions
Newbie - Lessons learned this year!!! What have you learned?
Comments (27)Stage Rat, thanks so much. I googled it and that is what it is. I will go right out and dig it up. I don't want those in my flower beds. I wish all my flowers looked that healthy though. I forgot to mention lesons learned about which containers worked best for me. My favorite is the round containers that I get cakes or cookies in (also an excuse to buy them). I make newspaper pots, and they are so much easier to plant out than to try and get the babies out of a milk bottle or 2L bottle. I think the newspaper helps the soil also. I tear off the top as I am dropping them in the hole so that they don't wick away the water. All of mine that were planted that way are doing the best. Also, I put a small water bottle in the center and use plastic shower caps (16 for $1) from the dollar store on top of them--it works great. The second favorite is the 1/2 size stem table aluminum pans from Sam's. The shower cap fits on them also with a small water botter to hold it off the babies. I think I will learn many more lessons from the responses to this thread. Thanks again for helping me ID the plant. Also thanks to everyone who shared their lessons learned. It is a great help. Jeane...See MoreWhat have we learned about covering plants against frost?
Comments (19)I learned that anything that has new foliage will get burned -- my large crepe myrtles are pitiful. Today, I noticed leaves on the river birches are black. No way I can cover tall trees. The most expensive investments, and those planted the longest suffered the most damage. Out of my control. Perennials, even newly planted ones did fine. Here's what I learned about how to cover: Take 3 bamboo or other plant stakes and make a tripod around a shrub. Drape a sheet over those like a tent. Pin the flapping edges with clothespins. Make sure the sheet doesn't touch the shrub. If necessary pin the sheet to the ground with landscaping (U shape) pins. Take 1 bamboo stake and place it next to a tender, short plant. Trim the bamboo to be about 6" off the top of the plant. Put a pillow case over the stake and cover the plant to the ground. Put heavy rocks on top of flaps of cardboard boxes to hold them on the ground. Putting a rock on top is great unless it rains and the box collapses (I had one of those). For long rows of shrubs like roses, I used a car cover draped over the fence. As it has elastic in the edges, I put rocks in those to keep it from flapping. I angled bamboo stakes toward the fence to keep the cover off the limbs. I also have two ventilated tarps that I use to cover plants when I haul them in the pickup truck. Those were the best covers and I bought them from a wholesale nursery that uses the same fabric to cover plants. DON'T: let a sheet touch a shrub. And finally -- it doesn't matter if my garden looks like a laundry or a group of ghoulish Halloween characters!...See MoreHow long have you vermicomposted and what have you learned
Comments (85)Vermicomposting since November 2015. I've learned that it's important not to let drain flies get established in your bin because it is almost impossible to get rid of them once they are. They can live on the bacteria in vermicompost, just like earthworms, and for some reason there tends to be no earthworm cocoons in the bin when drain fly larvae are present. The larvae can survive for 17 days and the flies start laying eggs within hours after they emerge. I eventually got rid of them by placing a window screen on my bin, killing the drainflies on the walls of the bin daily, and dumping an excessive amount of cardboard bedding on the bin. I've also learned that I can make the worms attack their bedding immediately by moistening it and sprinkling milk powder evenly on it. I think it's because the sugar in the milk (lactose) dissolves and is absorbed by the bedding. It drives them crazy....See MoreWhat have you learned to do through books and reading?
Comments (24)Like some here, I learn skills best in an interactive situation where I observe, then try, then get corrections. But an instructor is not always available to me, and books work reasonably well when no teacher is available for the skills I want to acquire. And even when they are, books enhance and expand the learning experience for me. I prefer to have both, but will take either when that is all I can get. What have I learned? Gardening, cooking, quilting, sewing were all skills I learned to varying degrees from books, though certainly I have had some instruction, too, particularly with sewing and tailoring. I'm getting mentally prepared to learn to knit, and I think I want to take up playing the recorder. I don't play any musical instrument. Knowing that I would give up quickly if I don't get to a rewarding level fast I thought, why not the recorder? Children learn quickly to play it on a simple level, yet this instrument is capable of producing lovely music in the hands of a musician. And best of all, no one could ever ask you to sing along! Rosefolly...See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

REMODELING GUIDES5 Things You Might Learn About Yourself During a Remodel
Prepare to find out who you really are — the good, the bad and the ugly
Full Story
LIFEWhat I Learned About Moving a Loved One to a Retirement Home
Setting up an elderly family member’s apartment in an assisted-care facility is a labor of love for this Houzz writer
Full Story
MOTHER’S DAYWhat We've Learned From Mom About Home
Share cherished memories as Houzzers recall the special traits, insights and habits of their mothers
Full Story
FUN HOUZZEverything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES4 Lessons I Learned About Color in 2017
Toss out the rulebook and consider this designer’s insights into choosing and combining color at home
Full Story
PETSSo You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESDecorating 101: Do It Yourself or Hire a Pro?
Learn the advantages and disadvantages of decorating alone and bringing in skilled help
Full Story
MATERIALSInsulation Basics: What to Know About Spray Foam
Learn what exactly spray foam is, the pros and cons of using it and why you shouldn’t mess around with installation
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESLearn When to Splurge for True Design Happiness
Sometimes treating yourself is exactly right — despite that whole impracticality thing
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: What Did Your Dad Teach You About Making a Home?
Fathers share skills and wisdom with their kids. What did you learn from yours?
Full StorySponsored
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)