What do you use self-rising flour for?

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

DH was so proud of himself when he last went to the store ... He said they had several bags so he bought one. Well, it's self-rising. Other than biscuits, what does one use it for?

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beesneeds

You can make a quick pizza sort of dough by using equal amounts of the flour and plain greek yogurt or good thick sour cream. Pretty bland on it's own, be sure to use some salt and a goodly pinch or few of your fave seasonings.

There's a goodly few handfuls of quick breads that use it. It can be good for pancakes and crepes too.

It's supposed to be good in a lot of baked sweets, but I don't really make or eat sweets.

1 Like Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
Sherry

Biscuits, 1/4 cup added to my 1 cup self rising cornmeal for cornbread, cakes, banana bread, several cookies, dumplings, instant cobbler pies, muffins, hushpuppies (same as cornbread), etc.

I use more self rising than plain flour. Plain flour for breading meat, pie crust, and gravy.

nancyofnc

Crepes, pizza crust, Swiss roll, cinnamon rolls, doughnuts, lamingtons, clementines, fruit cobbler, Southern tea cakes, blondies, fudge brownies, etc. Lots of recipes out there if you search self-rising flour recipes.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Will it hurt the self-rising part if I put it in the freezer until I am up to baking?

Save    
cloudy_christine

A lot of British baking recipes list self-rising flour as an ingredient. Although it's easy enough to use plain flour plus baking powder instead, it's just a little bit more convenient to have the self-rising flour on hand. Can be used for other recipes too, as people have listed above.

Sherry

No, I usually keep an extra bag and that is where I keep it. Just let what you want to use come to room temperature first.

plllog

You can also use it for things you wouldn't put baking powder in, so long as a little rise wouldn't hurt. Like yeast bread.

The problem with freezing is damp. The moisture in the air may be enough to discharge the baking powder over time. White flour (no bran) should keep at least six months in a canister with a good seal, away from light and heat.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
chas045

I always have regular flour around and certainly not needed to substitute self rising flour. So, I have no actual experience to suggest that self rising would be OK for bread, pies or breading. However, I see no serious reason that it couldn't be substituted for bread and I see plenty of recipes for pie crust or breading.

Of course, the baking powder would be unnecessary for bread and would cause extra initial lightness, but I would expect that to be expended during the initial kneading. I suppose those sensitive to the aluminum in most baking powder might notice, but they must suffer thru when making all the quick bread recipes that I assume they use.

Since my experience is limited, I will defer to the much more experienced here, but if corrected, I would hope to hear good reasons. I think your husband did well.

Islay Corbel

I'm thinking that one thing you can't use it for is Yorkshire puddings. Lots of cakes use it.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
amylou321

I use it for cobbler.

ritaweeda

Biscuits, pancakes, dumplings. I think my Mom used it to make cakes. She always used self-rising flour. She never used plain flour because she never made yeast bread.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz Houzz Tour: An Indian High-Rise Trips the Light Fantastic
Surreal colored lighting and an ubercontemporary design make an apartment near Mumbai dance with drama
Full Story
Data Watch Data Watch: Confidence Rising, but Labor Shortages Worry Many Pros
The latest Houzz Renovation Barometer report shows industry pros are rosy about the market while still struggling to find skilled workers
Full Story
Universal Design Home Elevators: A Rising Trend
By Pangaea
The increasing popularity of aging in place and universal design are giving home elevators a boost, spurring innovation and lower cost
Full Story
Adaptiv is a full-service, interior/exterior design firm that provides clients with unique, customized solutions... Read More