SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_969287277

Bad kitchen countertop fabrication?

Aj P
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I previously posted here a question on kitchen island countertop design and received very good input. The original design (advised by a designer here) I was going for on the kitchen island was botched by the fabricator (pictures in prior post). I thereafter settled for a simple design and even that appears to have been botched. Now, I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and admit that when dealing with tile and stone fabrication, perfection isn't always had. However, am I expecting too much or is the work in the photos here really really bad? After speaking with the fabricator following install to determine how things got to this point, I'm hearing only excuses and no acknowledgement of bad work...

1) I originally purchased 3 slabs of 60" x 120" quartz. The fabricator assured that there would be only 1 seam behind center sink. Following install yesterday, I noticed a second seam. I met today witht the fabricator for answers. He stated that the second seam isn't really a seam. As shown in a couple of the pics here, the seam (which fabricator denies being a seam) starts from the botched inside corner.

2) Following install, I noticed the range top is not centered with drawer below, and the cabinet above. It's about 1/4" further towards the left. I had the range top removed and noticed the stone on the left is aligned with the plywood underlayment, whereas on the right it overlaps the plywood underlayment by about 1/4". The fabricator stated that he followed his template (pictures at time of template show range top centered).

3) The top left of counter above the apron sink had a gap immediately after install. The fabricator stated that the left side of sink surface is probably not level. The left edge appears less thick than right edge. I asked him to slightly raise the left side of sink to close the gap between his edge and sink. He first trimmed the left side of cabinet before realizing a shim on bottom left will help narrow gap.

4) The two island corners have a white residue, which appears to have been applied to conceal bad seams. The reply to this complaint was that the original island design (changed due to bad cut) led to these new bad cuts. Does this make sense? His solution is to remove the island top and rotate so the bad seams are facing the sink and thus less visible.

I have withheld payment pending meeting with the owner Monday. Any fabricators that can advise on this work? Is the inside corner repairable? Is the line leading from inside corner (not straight) a seam, as I'm almost certain it is? Are the island corners repairable? Is the left gap between counter edge and sink acceptable, or bad work? The right edge is more flush with sink. I take there is no quick fix for the 1/4" variance that has resulted in the range top not being centered? Any ideas on trim to close the gap on right side of range top and gap on left side of sink? Thanks in advance.

Comments (15)