What are you running out of and can't live without...

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

A few weeks ago we were content with what we had and a 'we will survive attitude'. Did a minor check-see in pantry for a various basic grocery list. Before this mess we could add things low and put on the list. Dh would often double up to avoid a low stock on thing like dish wash soap, etc. We always had a back up and kept up with it. (on the list, buy two)

This is longer than expected so we focused on pantry and fresh food.

Soaps have become an issue. Laundry, sink, dishwasher, hand soap, etc.

We thought we were good for some time not leaving the home...

SaveComment165Like
Comments (165)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Three weeks ago Amazon had no soap of any kind. I scored some. Seems so silly to order soap on-line.

Found some and obviously a good thing since we will run out soon.

embarrassing at the moment when it arrived my extreme OCD. All amazon had. Crazy DH has been 'thank you' for all my orders.

He was late to follow my insistent for 'stay at home' .

We have soap,

72, 3 oz bottle 4oz, lol.

5 Likes Save    
Olychick

Save them and fill with homemade hand sanitizer when ingredients become available again.

I feel lucky in the soap dept. Last summer I bought a costco size bottle of their house brand to take to a friend's cabin where I spend a lot of time. Someone else had already bought a large supply, so I brought my purchase home. I already had enough to last a long time, since I live alone and all my dishes go in the DW, so I am doubly blessed should I not be able to find DW detergent (although it was difficult to find for a couple of weeks, but I scored some recently).

1 Like Save    
plllog

We're doing okay so far. No "disinfecting" stuff, but when I was where they were using the wipes, it burned my nose and hurt the rest of the evening. I have a little alcohol, but mostly am just keeping things clean. There are no strangers coughing on our surfaces, and little outside contact. They've had laundry detergent of the kind I can abide at the store, so we're okay on that. We'll need more dishwashing soap, but have enough for awhile. I could use more hand soap for the powder room, but could put gentle dish soap in the pump.

When I was out i got a lot of things for the pantry. Some large spices and dehydrated veg, fats, etc., and I ordered and received flour and yeast from the source. I was going to buy the flour before this all started. Yes, it's a 6 month supply, depending on how much baking I actually do, but not a "trip over". I do want to freeze some, though. Mostly to get it out of the way. And I'll freeze the extra yeast. I just don't have the patience right now for baking sourdough.

I'm most concerned about fresh things. There's plenty of good produce still. There were eggs and milk enough at the store this week. Meat too, but no butter. Delivery is the real question.

Around here, some restaurants were trying to stay open as grocery stores, but were shut down. They're not licensed for it and don't have the proper facilities. They were told, however, that they could sell grocery items with delivery/pickup. I don't know if anyone near me is doing that, but it may be an alternative in the future. I just hate to have people choosing for me. :)

Save    
foodonastump

I’m ok on dishwashing detergent for a while, but did panic at one point and ordered a gallon off Amazon:

I go out once a week, mainly groceries for my parents, but hope to avoid that for a bit as NY hits its apex. I’ve been finding that the stores are gradually more stocked. I actually found Clorox yesterday! Also saw KA AP flour for the first time in weeks so I bought a couple bags. Now I’ve accumulated enough to last a while, and will start some Easter baking without feeling like it’s costing me a pizza. Found peanut butter! And choices in the commercial bread aisle. Canned veggies are back, although I don’t really use those. Oh and there was one flavor of softsoap, so I bought a couple of those.

So overall I think it’s getting better. There’s plenty there to serve a nourishing meal. Nothing exotic, but the basics are there. Shopping carts aren’t overflowing, so I guess most people are done stocking up.

1 Like Save    
plllog

I forgot to mention the can't live without one! A month ago, I opened my pantry bottle of ketchup. I don't use ketchup often, but there are times when nothing else will do and there's no substituting for it. The next time I was in a store, the craziness had already started, and there was hardly any in the store, and it what there was there were kinds I'd prefer to go without rather than use. So I ordered a couple of bottles of the good stuff from Amazon. They were already delaying, but the ketchup showed up even sooner than they'd said, and I won't actually need it for awhile.

Silly, isn't it? What will make one happy?

As for the rest, my pantry could use clearing out... Using weird things up could become a nice project. :D

1 Like Save    
plllog

Do you have a Kroger owned market near you? I just was able to order my preferred type of dish soap and a couple other things to be shipped. Then I got a delivery window for my Amazon Fresh list for Monday, including butter.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Lysol Laundry Sanitizer. None to be had anywhere. I have less than a jug of it and anytime we have to leave the house as soon as we get home whatever we are wearing goes in the washer. A lot of my clothes shouldn't be washed in hot water. Arggh.

And I'm almost out of Worcestershire Sauce. I use it quite a bit. But not worth a trip to the store just for that.

1 Like Save    
cooper8828

Eggs. I cannot get any eggs to save my life. I'm on a waiting list at a local farm so will have some maybe later in the week.

My husband could not get his Nature's Own Honey Wheat bread the first week, and I really think it only became real to him at that time. I make bread at home all the time, but we all have our weaknesses.

3 Likes Save    
colleenoz

ediej, laundry sanitiser will not do anything to covid, that's not how viruses work. What is effective against viruses, which are essentially a bunch of RNA protected by a fat capsule, is anything that will dissolve fat- which breaks up the virus and kills it. So, heat, soap/detergent and anything with an alcohol content of more that 65% are all effective. Lysol sanitiser in a normal wash load is not. Soap/detergent and water is the most effective as the rinsing removes the remains after the soap has done its work.

4 Likes Save    
plllog

True. Simple soap doesn't always kill bacteria--a lot of the point of soap is to break the surface tension of water, the thing that makes it into drops, making the water wetter--but the doctors have said that soap actually kills this virus.

Save    
Lynda R (USDA 9b, Sunset 23)

I like to cook and bake - so for me it's all purpose flour. I was low when the crisis hit, and have yet to find any. I am also getting nervous about our dwindling supply of paper towels. We can wash cloth napkins, so I am prepared if we run out. We live in CA, and are used to earthquakes, so DH keeps an extensive emergency kit. Nothing in it is too appetizing (rice and beans!), and I hope we don't need it, but it is nice to know it is there. We grow 95% of our produce, so thankfully we will continue to have a good supply of fruits and vegetables. We also make our own wine, so we are well stocked in that department!

2 Likes Save    
amylou321

I am gonna need some bleach soon for laundry. I have about a quarter of a bottle and its making me antsy because that's when I usually get a back up bottle.

I use the lysol foaming cleaner in the purple bottle for the showers and tubs in my house. I used the last of it today.

I cannot get either of them anywhere. Went to 4 stores and nothing! I wonder if somewhere like lowes would have it.....

Food wise we (us humans and the fur heathens) are all good for now.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

My DIL can't find apple juice for the kiddies anywhere. They're going to have to drink Kool-Aid which will eat into her meager sugar supply (even though she makes one packet make a gallon with 1/2 the sugar called for.) Wish she'd try to get them to just drink water!

1 Like Save    
amylou321

Edie I am going to tell you this and put what little shame I have to the side(ok I have no shame). They DO make sugar free kool aid mixes. Just add the mix to water. It is sweet and very very good. I have always loved kool aid and still do. I dont care what anyone thinks of a grown woman drinking neon red mystery liquid. Its GOOD. Its surely not good for anyone but it would save her sugar supply. It's worth a try. I cant tell the difference but I cant promise the kiddies wont....

1 Like Save    
shambo

We’re doing OK as far as most food goes. I’m not leaving the house for shopping. I’m ordering everything through Instacart, Amazon, or other online sources. But I’m running low on Lysol disinfecting spray and bleach. I can’t find those two items anywhere.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

dom perignon 2008

actually, it Kleenex here, and cleaners, and lava soap

eggs are up to 5 bucks for 18

1 Like Save    
Olychick

I've been able to get everything I need for the most part. I want to make jam but feel a little reluctant to use up that much sugar (I defrosted some berries to make room for other things in the freezer). I'll check at the store on Tuesday when I go to get milk.

Our farmer's market is operating on Sat and Sun only, so I'm going tomorrow to see what's there. I usually like to go on Sun mornings when many are in church but that won't be the case now - maybe they'll be in virtual church.

It's early in the season here, but I think some do greenhouse growing, so there might be a better selection than I expect. They say they've limited the vendors to food only - no crafts except soap - and moved the booths as far apart as possible. It will be interesting to see how they limit people into the space as it's open air with no real walls and entry areas everywhere. It's not going to rain, so I won't really mind standing in line if needed.

Save    
annie1992

Fortunately I'd done a Sam's Club shopping trip right before this all started, so I have lots of dish soap and toilet paper, and I have 16 bars of Dial antibacterial soap, my dermatologist told me to use it on my face. Pimples at my age, go figure, but the white antibacterial Dial soap is what he said to use and it does work. Anyway, I dislike the slimy feel of liquid soap and would far prefer a bar, so I have enough soap to last a long time. I've been cleaning with a mild bleach solution, per CDC recommendations and I have a gallon, so I'm good for that for a while too.

Eggs are still 48 cents a dozen here, although there is a limit of two. Bread is available, although not all brands, and butter is available by the stack, as well as peanut butter and sugar.

My Mother is having a fit, though, her favorite "soft spread" margarine has been gone for a couple of weeks now and they still don't have any. She also wants mint ice cream without chocolate chips, but I couldn't find that before the COVID outbreak. And my brother wants green KoolAid, not the sour apple green, the lime green and there is none to be had, go figure.

I still have not been able to find flour, and I'm happy enough with my freshly ground stuff, I'm saving the AP for Mother's weekly treats. If I run out of that she is going to be so ticked you'll hear her yelling at me all the way to California!

Here the "shortages" seem to be disinfectants and cleaners, dried beans, rice, ramen noodles, soft margarine and flour. Even toilet paper and paper towels are back on the shelves

Annie

1 Like Save    
CA Kate z9

Of all things, I ran out of cereal. I have a small bowl before bed most nights. How I managed to go thru' 3 bags of cereal in 3 weeks is beyond me. I did find some today at CVS, so I didn't have to go to the grocery too.

Save    
John Liu

We picked up milk at the convenience store, had beer and cider and coffee delivered (friends whose normal restaurant/bar accounts or own coffee shop are closed so they are doing home delivery), otherwise just lived off the pantry, freezer and weekly Imperfect Produce delivery for a month or so.

Today we masked up and did a pretty big shop at the restaurant food place. Shouldn’t “need” to go shopping again for a month. Of course we didn’t need to go this time, running out of eggs and luncheon meat is hardly a crisis.

We seem fine for cleaning stuff. In February we bought 3 gallons of commercial sanitizer concentrate and have been giving away spray bottles of the working solution, I think we still have over half of the concentrate left. Ditto with the 2 gallons of hand sanitizer, gloves, etc that we bought. I’ve been running the dishwasher every day, for the sanitizing feature, so i’m getting low on the commercial detergent it uses, but that’s not hard to buy.

And for whatever reason we have lots of TP, like months and months‘ supply. Didn’t buy any for this, just had it sitting around.

Save    
Lars

I was running out of distilled water for my CPAP machine, but Kevin went to Stater Brothers today and bought some there. He wore a mask and disposable gloves.

Not running out of anything else that I can think of, and Kevin is brave enough to go to the store, but I will not.

Yesterday we had a 4.9 earthquake in the area, which rattled the windows and shook some of the pictures on the walls but did no damage. Just glad it wasn't bigger, and it was a minor distraction at most.

Save    
Islay Corbel

The only things that seem to be hard to get are flour and hand sanitizer. I think baking is such a comforting thing and it's fun for people with children to distract.

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

Just to mention, re soap. Soap does not kill the virus (or bacteria for that matter); it completely washes it away, which is why it's actually more effective than sanitizer. Doctors scrub their hands before surgery; they don't use hand sanitizer.

1 Like Save    
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Evidently I can't live without Lyle's golden syrup as I just ordered four tins off of Amazon at a pretentious price,

1 Like Save    
colleenoz

Sorry laceyvail, but you’re wrong in saying soap doesn’t kill the virus. It doesn’t kill bacteria, but loosens it so it can be rinsed off, but as I explained it does kill the virus.

The virus is RNA protected by a capsule of fat. The soap/detergent molecules latch onto the fat, and then when you rinse the soap off each molecule goes off in its own direction, tearing the fat capsule apart as they go. End of virus.

7 Likes Save    
cloudy_christine

Not all viruses have a fat coating. Some have a protein coating:

"Enveloped viruses like SARS-CoV-2—which rely on a protective lipid coating—are the easiest type to deactivate. In contrast with many gastrointestinal viruses like norovirus which have a tough protein shell called a capsid, viruses with this fatty wrapping are relatively vulnerable.

"'It’s much more sensitive. It’s sort of a wimpy protective shell,' says virologist Seema Lakdawala of the University of Pittsburgh.

"There are a few ways to burst this flimsy shell. Alcohol-based products disintegrate the protective lipids. Quaternary ammonium disinfectants, commonly used in health-care and food-service industries, attack protein and lipid structures, thwarting the pathogen’s typical mode of infection. Bleach and other potent oxidizers swiftly break down a virus’s essential components.

"The EPA’s list of disinfectants presumed effective against SARS-CoV-2 contains several dozen antimicrobial products including ready-to-use sprays, concentrates, and wipes. Each has been shown to be effective against at least one small or large nonenveloped virus, which are considered harder to kill than the enveloped variety. And that list is likely to grow; on March 9, the EPA announced it was expediting emerging pathogen-related requests that met certain requirements."

https://cen.acs.org/biological-chemistry/infectious-disease/How-we-know-disinfectants-should-kill-the-COVID-19-coronavirus/98/web/2020/03

2 Likes Save    
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

The grocery stores seem well stocked here now, so it's all about the risk factor.

Save    

Do follow NY. We are the guinea pigs. I've not been in a grocery for two months. DH is 16 days now. He did one pick-up last week but it was ordered on-line with a full page of precautions. Call when in the parking lot. Open trunk, Get back in car. Mask wearing employees bring it out and do not open your window. Close your own trunk, truck gate once we are back in store.

We are in a red zone. A town ten miles away held a funeral a couple days ago with out distancing. This behavior is stressing our healthcare workers.

We are riding this out at home now. No need for a mask for a while or emergency.

2 Likes Save    
Fun2BHere

I was lucky in my timing so I had hand sanitizer, soap and toilet tissue on hand. I don't know if we can last for another two months on our supply, but we can handle another three weeks. The hardest thing for us to find is fresh produce which makes up the majority of our meals. I have to shop once a week to keep enough fresh produce on hand. If I can't shop, we can switch to frozen produce for a week or so, but I couldn't stock up on frozen because our freezer is too small to hold much.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Fun2BHere, you should check out Misfits. I love having fresh veggies & fruit delivered right to my door. Granted they don't have a huge selection but it's nice - and all the oranges we've gotten from them have been really really good. In this last box I got a huge head of frisee lettuce which for sure I'd never find in our little store!

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Anyone else finding that misfits quality is going down a bit? It’s still fine but the last two orders have not been the “I can’t believe these are seconds” quality I had at the start. I hope they don’t stretch themselves too thinly.

Save    
morz8

We keep running low on fruits and vegetables. I'll think we've bought all we can use up in a week or 10 days and then finding they're gone before that. I think I'll shop for frozen steam-in-bags vegetables next trip.

I'd bought Costco sized laundry and dishwasher products in late Feb so we're fine there. I think the TP and paper towels will last too, and my sis was able to get TP limit one at Costco a week ago for her household. I have almost half bottle liquid dish soap, I don't put my cookware in my dishwasher so do use a little every day. The last time I was in a store ( a week), the paper goods aisle and laundry products aisle was all but bare.

Our eggs come from a friend with a flock of pet girls. They are laying regularly right now.

Save    

My Misfits have been over-the-top great. I did have a meh box way back before this virus mess. And wondered if they were getting overwhelmed. A couple weeks ago I switched to once a week when I could not get any delivery times or even curbside from my local groceries. FreshDirect forget it. Way backed up.

I photo all Misfit loot, pic dated, and have a desktop file I keep them in.

This weeks was delayed a couple days but fine since we found Baldor. I even got a couple Meyer lemons not expected and not a misfit in any boxes. (well, one or two over many weeks).

We have definitely lost a bit of appetite so cooking creatively for fun is loosing its charm. I have 2 tBsp of toasted sesame oil I'm hiding from myself.

We made a big veggie lasagna a couple days ago using up the crisper and it was more a chore than usual. Good freezer meals though.

I have a Baldor delivery date for next Friday and may use that. Puts me in the hoarder+ category but running out of ac vinegar and many other staples I'm used to.

Baldor is a 50 mile radius from the Bronx.

Save    
fawnridge (Ricky)

Patience.

7 Likes Save    
Lars

If you are craving fruits and vegetables, try looking at freeze-dried options. I had already bought a supply of those, and I add them to rice that I am cooking. The dried broccoli and cabbage taste remarkably like fresh, or at least as good as the frozen varieties. Fortunately, I have a lot of dehydrated apples that I dehydrated myself, as well as some chilies. I am not in a short supply of chilies at all, as I always make sure that I have a good supply. I made so much chocolate Habanero chili sauce this year that I have enough to freeze for next year, which will be good, as I am not growing chocolate Habanero chilies this year. I do also have a good supply of dried chocolate Habanero chilies, since the last season was much larger than I expected.

Try dried vegetables if you can't get fresh or frozen - Grainlady swore by them, but she probably dried her own. I always keep a lot of dried mushrooms on hand, no matter what.

1 Like Save    
cloudy_christine

Salad! We are using "contactless pickup" at Giant, but I always get vegetables and meats at farmer's markets. I was last in public three weeks ago and that was a quick run into a market where I picked up a selection of pre-ordered poultry. I didn't go to the market where I get meat, because it's always crowded.

Wine is problem too. Usually we have more on hand, but this time we've got three bottles, and although the store does sell wine, you have to go into the store to buy it. No contactless wine purchase! This is Pennsylvania, where the state controls all wine purchases, and the state stores are closed.

Save    
plllog

Are the restaurants allowed to sell wine? Ours may sell it as pickup. I doubt they'd charge corkage if you're buying bottles.

If you know the names of the vendors you like at the farmer's markets, you can get in touch and see if they'll ship or drop off a box for you, or meet you somewhere when they're nearby to put a box in your car.

Save    
Fun2BHere

Sadly, Misfits is not available in California.

Save    
Olychick

RE: wine to PA...just contact a winery or shop that ships:

Direct Shipping of Wine to Pennsylvania Pennsylvania residents may receive up to 36 cases (up to nine liters per case) per year of wine shipped by a wine producer licensed by the PLCB as a direct wine shipper. The 36-case annual limit is per direct wine shipper, and wine may be shipped to home or business addresses.

You can't ship usps, maybe FedEx is the only shipper and you have to be home to sign for it, but that's not a problem these days!

Save    
plllog

Fun2BHere, we do have some similar outfits, plus lots of CSA programs.

Farm delivery

Imperfect foods based in SF send all over

Also check out Local Harvest

2 Likes Save    
Marilyn_Sue

I am not low on anything. I always am stocked up. From time to time if I need something, my daughter adds it to the curbside pick up they have. This past week, they got me grapefruit and bananas. Other than that I am good for a very long time.

Sue

Save    
fawnridge (Ricky)

We have lots of cookies!

3 Likes Save    
party_music50

FOAS, I've received 4 Misfits boxes to date and there's been a small problem with each one (e.g., one rutabaga was completely brown inside and riddled w/ bug/larvae damage) but not worth complaining about because overall I'm happy with what I get. I switched to weekly boxes and am so glad I did.

Save    

Just looked at my first virus post, 'prepping for the inevitable...'. That was march 2. The first NYC reported case. We are starting week 6 and this will be the worst. Then add a few more weeks to that.

Yes, thankful for Misfits. And Baldor. And farm shares. In the Hudson Valley, NY area and NewEngland try Walden, link HERE. Farm shares are much easier than they used to be. They also have an add-on list so we just added more eggs. We used to have to rotate stopping at 4 different farms, then the veg farm stand. Might be something similar in other areas.

I'll miss our trip to the chicken farm but we are well stocked in that. He does have a no contact system but were are not going anywhere.

Best to just stay home and eat cookies.

1 Like Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Baby Back ribs. lol

A Indian coworker that previously worked at Farmland Foods was supposed to be getting me a 50 lb. case of ribs at a wholesale price sometime in March. He went home to India in early March for a family wedding and has not been able to return yet.

I want to BBQ some ribs! I have plenty of time.

ETA: might have to break down and buy a couple slabs at the grocery on the next visit but I sure would rather pay the wholesale employee price of $2/lb. rather than $3-$4/lb.

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I looked into Omaha Steaks. Ye gods, I could almost buy a whole steer for what they want for a box with a handful of steaks. Ugh no.

Save    
beesneeds

Hubby ran out of all of his favorite black decaf teas. There wasn't much selection on the store shelf, and I ended up picking up a box of regular ole decaf Lipton along with a couple boxes of other. Turns out he has decided he rather likes the Lipton!

Other than that I'm still pretty well stocked up on everything for weeks yet except some of the fresh produce like tomatoes and sweet peppers. Picked up tomatoes when I got the tea, but skipped the peppers as too pricey.

I have lots and lots of dehydrated produce though- I've been into dehydrating for years.

Otherwise my greens needs have been getting treated with growing microgreens- and picked the first batch of wild chives out of the lawn a couple days ago.

What I'm really running out of right now is shelf space for starting plants, lol. I've started a few more trays of seeds than I usually do, and the shuffle game is on for enough space and light for it all.

Save    
party_music50

^^^shelf space^^^, yes! My basil is growing so fast that I need to eat it tonight on a pizza. :)

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

^^^ times 2. I'm growing some extra tomatoes to share with neighbors. I counted 114 tomatoes, 47 peppers, and about 30 various other plants in my basement grow area at the moment. What was I thinking? Some of them are going to get evicted to the front porch soon.

Save    
beesneeds

Yes! I had to evict marigolds, snapdragons, and zinnias to a mini-greenhouse in my enclosed porch today. I hope they get enough sun there to last them for a couple weeks till I can start getting them outside. Daytime temps are good enough, but the nights are still just too chilly yet.

Save    
caflowerluver

Almost ran out of flour but DH got one bag the last time he went shopping. There were only 2 bags left, but we are not hoarders so left the other bag for someone else. I'll just cut back on my baking.

Save    

"I want to BBQ some ribs! I have plenty of time."

Word, (slang for hear ya,) bummer.

That sounds so good right now. Found some steak cubes in the freezer. Roasting veg tonight. Big tray so tomorrow will be some roasties for an egg/bacon breakfast. The rest maybe in a soup. Day-by-day.

We have been having little grain/nut/fruit/yogurt breakfasts with some fresh frozen green juices. Shots of kombucha. Not eating much but healthy. Low on eggs so going easy until the next order comes in end of month.

Save    
cloudy_christine

Thanks, Olychick. PA allows shipping from some wine producers (vineyards). We would need to be able to get it from an importer or distributor. One of our favorites is a California wine but it's not from that limited list. DH did find a source to ship a box wine we like well enough.

The Delaware state police are guarding the border! Arresting anyone with a Pennsylvania license plate!

1 Like Save    

Delaware? Well, they do have some mean state police. Where I grew up and where my parents still live. I suppose they will not let me visit with NY plates.

Almost daily a new list of NY wholesalers being allowed to deliver to homes. Lifting all regulations. No questions, no need for liquor license numbers. No signatures needed. Feed the people in need that are doing their part by staying home.

2 Likes Save    
plllog

I just got my Amazon Fresh order and scored butter. Oil (which was in case they didn't have butter) was the only thing they didn't send, and they replaced a big jar of mayo with a little squeeze bottle and only sent one bottle of glass cleaner, rather than two. Not disinfecting, just free and clear easier to use than vinegar housecleaning.

At this point, while I might have some wants next week, there's nothing I need. The public health director for LA County, whose press briefings are broadcast daily, said that next week and the week after are going to be the worst, according to the models and warned people not even to go shopping. Shoulding this apply to the professional shoppers as well? It would be good if the grocers were pickup/delivery only, like the restaurants.

1 Like Save    
morz8

UPS ships wine as well as FedEx. I know this because my SIL is gone for two months over the holidays every year. And, every year a friend sends her a box a wine from the vineyard he owns. It can't be left on her porch, requires a signature of someone over 21. The games we play, notes we leave trying to connect with that driver to collect her wine over a few days time - since we are the assigned mail and package collectors living about 6 blocks away. Year before last on about day 4, I saw the UPS truck drive by here and DH jumped in his truck and went after it. Caught up with the driver at his next stop and explained why - he finally took possession of the wine. After that much effort, I'd suggested he just keep it but he put it in the house at his sisters ;0)

2 Likes Save    
Fun2BHere

Congratulations, @plllog, on getting an Amazon Fresh delivery. I tried to place an order today and there were no open slots throughout the whole time period that they let you search.

Save    
Feathers11

(Seagrass, me, too...)

Last week I ran out of Better than Bouillon and am in a mild panic. I just miss doing my own grocery shopping. I don't like someone else picking out my stuff and deciding what "options" would be appropriate. But if that's my biggest complaint, I think I'm OK.

1 Like Save    
agmss15

I am well stocked with basics but a little low on the extras that make life/meals interesting. Mostly fruit. For veggies I have been growing microgreens and soon will be able to forage and garden.

I managed to stock up on pet food. I couldn’t find flour at Hannafords a few weeks ago - did a last trip to my local health food store. She had just received an order of 50 pound bags of King Arthur - all preordered. By the time I was done shopping she realized she had an extra. I still need to repackage it and excavate my freezer to store it - I just used the final bit of what I had on hand before the virus. My local garden center had bleach and 99% isopropyl alcohol. No Lysol anywhere but I still have some.

My sister and I have been taking turns working at our shop. We have our mom fairly convinced to stay at home. I visited her outside for a bit a couple of days ago. So mostly I am just dealing with the social isolation part of all this - talking to the pets.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Bragu, DH says to stop posting please. I woke him up (and that’s hard to do) laughing at your Dom Perignon comment! Thanks for the chuckles!

Sleevendog, your soap is hilarious! Reminds me of the Goya Black Beans I bought on Amazon. Not a bean in the house before that – pinto, great northern, nothing. Found 6 bags of black beans for sale, at $2 higher per bag than usual, but I was desperate. So I clicked Add To Cart. They came the other day, and after a quarantine in our garage, I open the bag to discover it’s actually 12 bags, or 10.5 lbs of black beans. Wish your other post on curbside procedure had been up before my curbside pickup Saturday. Shopper stuck her head in my car window. I had on N95, gloves, and sunglasses (hey, anything helps). Still… I shoulda known better.

LoneJack, I hear ya. I usually have 2 racks of baby backs in the freezer. Not now. None to be had here. And chicken is gone for the most part. Yet we have propane for our grill… sigh.

Scored big time at curbside pickup last Saturday on items much needed or wished for – 10 lbs of flour, baking potatoes, and a big pack of toilet paper (I can put my washcloths away for a bit). Much of what was on my list was not available though. I’d love to have a couple whole hens right now. And more alcohol. The disinfecting kind. We can get wine at our curbside pickup. Just hold driver’s license up to the window.

Maybe we all will have a better grasp of how to be frugal - and the lengths one can go to, and how to appreciate what we do have - not just food and everyday necessities, but jobs, our families and friends. Oh yeah, and to wash our hands much more often! My grandparents and parents learned lasting lessons from the Great Depression. I feel a lot of us will, also.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Late to this, but there is nothing I cannot live without that is missing from our home right now, but I am SO missing Trader Joe's cheeses and some of their other items as well. I wish they were doing curbside pickup, because I am decidedly NOT going inside any stores for the duration...

Save    
Cloud Swift

@Fun2BHere, we get deliveries from Farm Fresh to You in Sacramento. They also deliver in part of the Bay Area, but I'm not sure how much of it they cover.

1 Like Save    
moosemac

I guess it is all a matter of perspective. Fortunately we had done a run to Sam's in January so we are pretty well stocked for the time being.

Saturday I had a panic attack when I realized I was out of local raw honey. Fortunately the neighbor has an apriary and I was able to get some delivered. Whew! What would I do without honey for my tea?

I also ran out of vermouth for my martini's but was able to do a curbside pickup. I can only drink one half size a day but it is a welcome treat at the end of a long day. Our entire immediate family are all essential workers so we are still working full time and DD and I are splitting babysitting duties for her three year old son. Thank goodness for the mute button on my cell phone otherwise conference calls would be calamity calls.

Lastly I am getting a tad low on patience. With my grandson the"three-nager" and his mom living with us there is no down time. I am truly grateful I get to spend so much time with him and thoroughly enjoy him but it is exhausting.

Save    
Cloud Swift

Trader Joe's is about the only store I will go in. They are well organized to maintain space. It is a pain and I wouldn't want to go very often. They only let a certain number inside at a time so one has to wait (spaced 6 feet apart) in line to go in. They wipe down the cart before they hand it to you (but only the hand rail and child seat area). They have spots marked to stand while waiting for the register and only use every other register to keep social distancing. They were pretty well stocked.

Here (Sacramento, California), fresh produce has been well stocked. A couple of weeks ago when I made my last visits to other grocery stores to stock up, I visited Raley's and Whole Foods to find the ginger bins in both just had a handful of scraps. I like to make ginger tea as well as cooking with it. The bin label at one said "Product of Thailand" which may be a clue to why it was in short supply. Fortunately, I'd mentioned it to my son and Sprouts had an overflowing bin. He dropped off the biggest piece of ginger I've ever seen - about a pound.

At this point, we are pretty well set except for milk. My husband is a pretty big milk user (in espresso drinks) - Raley's and Whole Foods are limiting it to one gallon per customer. Raley's has curbside pick-up, but the earliest pick-up time is a week out. Must be really hard for people with big families.

Save    
plllog

I'm just really glad I pushed to fill the holes in what we had this last week. In California, the distancing and stay at home are working to spread out the rate of infection, but it's going to get worse. Now they're telling us this is the week to forgo shopping altogether. Stores have one way aisles to deal with those end of aisle clumps, the checkers are spaced out and have shields, etc., but there's no substitute for staying home.

1 Like Save    
artemis_ma

For me, I want disinfectant wipes. And cheese. Yes, I can live without cheese but prefer not to.

I am not shopping any more in the nearby city. No big boxes. I go to a mom and pop store a couple towns over for things. There's also a small place where I can get hardware/gardening supplies as well as chicken and cat needs. Soon I should be able to plant the seeds I ordered last January.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

I've just made the decision not to even get curbside for a while. We've got enough food now. We've got enough to do us, even if it means going without a few 'luxuries' which is how I now think of milk, eggs, etc. People where I live are not practicing social distancing as they should. Not remotely. Sunday we drove around... scores of people going shopping, going inside stores, no masks, no gloves. I just cancelled a hair appointment (rather belated, as it's next week) and the response back was 'we'll be open next week'. Really? Sorry, I just don't understand this. Anyway, we certainly have enough black beans, ha!

1 Like Save    

I pray for rain every day to keep people inside. This is our worst week also. The weather is so nice, too many are out and about. Our governor and mayor are furious at the amount of those not abiding.

I was way off predicting the apex and coming down the other side by now but everyone did...did plan ahead. After that first delivery was 10 days away and barely any needs were available.....then decided to let those without separate freezers to get those time slots....did find a really good dishwasher soap and laundry soap when I ordered the dish soap.

Hard to even believe this is week six.

I went ahead and took the wholesalers time slot for next Saturday. (usually overnight) Texting neighbors for their needs. (they are keeping kosher but lots of kosher foods). We are 20ft distancing in our area and no-one is shopping out at all. Tips for the delivery people in an envelope on the outside folding table,

I needed nothing but they have young children and can't get any time-slots now....

Save    

Wholesalers have palettes of tp. And wipes. They limited me to 3 rolls and two containers of Clorox type wipes. Finally they are breaking up their bulk items into smaller packaging for home delivery.

My best friend neighbor. We so expected to be baking and cooking for the firehouse and the hospital. Surrounding areas and neighborhoods are full of actors and sports stars and wealthy. They have kept a dozen restaurants open to cook for all in need.

A few million dollars to help serve has been collected.

The elderly are getting packages dropped off at their doors by the police force and checked on. (low crime here even before this).

Everyone in NY is helping and we feel void....but nice to see the help from our fortunate, the millionaires .... We can help but are frustrated to find what we can do sitting home. It is working in our community, so I'm content.

I ordered there cases of tomato juice and a case of canned soup to deliver to elderly neighbors...and a case of brown bags two months ago.

Take care of your elderly neighbors. They are confused.

My parents are 91 and 90. I can not visit them now. But their freezer is full from my last visit.

2 Likes Save    
artemis_ma

I am bringing foods over to my local food pantry tomorrow. I'll be showering down, finding a box or bag that I haven't handled for the past three months, and adding in some things I bought at Trader Joes back in Danbury CT last fall. Yes, I "horde" when I visit there, since the Massachusetts one is too far off from my travelling radar. But I do have extra coffee and rice from back then. Also canned pumpkin. At any rate, my left hand will be totally sanitized when I leave this house, and I'll drive right-handed the three or so miles to the pantry to drop off the goods.

Thursday, another dozen eggs to go to the other community center. Might even be two dozen. My hens have been feeling the Rites of Spring!

(I do have disinfectant wipes but they are in short supply...)

2 Likes Save    
Cloud Swift

Having bought enough that we shouldn't have to do even curbside pick-up or delivery for the next couple of weeks, I'm stressing a bit about managing the fresh produce to keep it good until used. Anyone else?

2 Likes Save    
Compumom11

Fortunately went shopping last Saturday and hit Target, Smart & Final, Whole Foods and Gelson's our best supermarket) and added to my meat/chicken/fish and fresh fruits & veggies. I also found a couple of bottles of Microban disinfectant at Target. I could use more paper towels., but detergent and TP are well stocked. With yesterday's announcement here in Los Angeles, that we should stay inside this week, I'm well set. I told DH today that when we run out of fresh, I'll be substituting and it might not be his first choice, but we have plenty of food!

We had to rebuild our laundry room after a flood and today after 6 weeks the new machines arrived! The pantry cabinet had to be removed from the wall to lay new flooring and it gave me an opportunity to take stock. WHOA, I have way too many of certain items. Gotta figure out how to use up 3 cans of pumpkin and hemp milk. I have a dedicated pile for the food pantry now Meanwhile since the contractor was on site, I've talked him into permanently attaching the pantry cabinet in the garage to a concrete wall to protect the contents from an earthquake. Yesterday I tackled emptying that cabinet and discovered even more duplicates. I do have some items for earthquake supplies, but I really need to control my urges to just buy one more when it's on sale! LOL.

ETA: I bought large gloves for my husband from a local fast food restaurant. My friend told me that they were selling each box for $5 with a limit of 3. I happily drove by and picked up a couple. DH's hands didn't really fit in any I had bought previously.

Save    
cloudy_christine

Today we got to pick up the Giant order we waited eight days for. No mayonnaise, so there goes my tuna salad plan. Much more serious: no carrots. They better appear in the next couple of weeks or I won't be able to make DH the required birthday cake.

Last week in our Walmart order we couldn't get the bunch of bananas we ordered, but they did allow us one single banana.

2 Likes Save    
Cloud Swift

Yes, first off, pick-ups are running about a week out so we have to anticipate what we will need in a week for the next week and then we don't know what we won't get out of what we ordered. (I know that's awfully privileged, we are lucky to at least be getting most of what we need/want and have the money to pay for it, but it is still difficult even if we are fortunate to have it much less majorly difficult than some.)

When I decided I needed to do a Trader Joe's shopping trip, I bought apples and eggs even though they were in the order I'd put in some days before at Raley's because those are things I needed to have Sunday to make things for my children's families. Well, the eggs turned out to be the right thing because no eggs from Raley's. But they fulfilled all the apples so I was left with way more apples than we had any use for.

That turned out okay too because today my husband asked a neighbor (from a safe social distance while he was on his walk) how preparing for the holiday was going. The neighbor said it was fine except they needed apples, parsley and horseradish. We were able to supply all three.

5 Likes Save    
plllog

Things must be getting better at Amazon. I just received a box with less essential (but not trivial) items that weren't promised for another 2=3 weeks. We do have a huge fulfillment center in the region, and they've been hiring like mad. It was a nice surprise.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

We have an Amazon fulfillment center here as well, and no issues getting any orders (non essentials) right away, at any time. That rather surprised me.

I called the local food ministry yesterday right before they closed. Told them I've got black beans and toilet paper, a few other items to give. Told them DH and I were high risk, could someone pick it up from the parking lot if I drove it up close by their doors. They said no, they were too busy, but would take it if I bought it in. I do understand that, but no way am I going in there. Shame too. I've donated food there before. Next on my list was the local children's home, which is where most my donations go. I felt they wouldn't as their website said they were pretty well closed down, and so they did, say no. This I understood as well. I'll try one of the Churches down the road next...

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Lucky me! Hubby procured the last 4 lbs of organic whole wheat flour at a local store. I mentioned I had a bit left, but was thinking ahead to the next few weeks and he hooked me up 😃

Have a big Aldi order to pickup curbside later today. Getting a time slot is the hardest thing, for sure! Walmart only allows for today and tomorrow, and Aldi only allows about 4 days ahead, and is filled up every time I check.

Save    

Everyone seems to be getting what they need for the most part. So that's good. Stocking up for the tough upcoming weeks and staying home this week, the stores should look pretty good when that time comes.

"I'm stressing a bit about managing the fresh produce to keep it good until used. Anyone else?"

Yes, my head is spinning. Last weeks Misfits came two days late, Friday night. This weeks came on time a couple hours ago. (I expected late again and fine, or even later)...never comes early in the day.

I left it outside like I did Friday. Took a pic, came inside, and planned what goes where. All will be good a couple days. Cukes will go first like the rainbow chard. Then the eggplant and mushrooms. Then the asparagus and cilantro. The avocados are hard/firm. Everything else will be good a week or more but we juice, then freeze.

I'll juice tomorrow morning. (not sure what pink lemons are). Last week we got Meyer lemons.

Greens can be blanched, then sliced fine, then flat packed in quart zip-locks. Carrots, celery, onion can be diced fine and sautéed as a mirepoix, then frozen the same way. Take the back of your chefs knife and make an indent down the middle so it easily comes out of the frozen bag if you just need half the amount. So handy. I did that a few weeks ago and when chopping becomes a chore, (like now), very handy.

The greens I can use as a side or plop in a soup. The oh-so-rare cilantro I might quickly blanch, then chop fine with a green onion/garlic and make ice cube flavor bombs. I have fresh dill in water, in the fridge with a bag over it. I can do the same with that.

We are good until Thanksgiving. Seems nuts but with the garden soon exploding and planting extra...freezer full of protein...eating less with lack of appetite....beef and chicken bones for about ten master stocks...meat monthly farm share that has egg add-ons...phew.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

sleevendog, you will like the pink lemons, I think. I picked some up at Meijer a few months ago just because they were a novelty, we only had two and I sliced them up to add to water glasses, they were pretty and seemed a bit milder than those big yellow ones we get.

2many, I haven't even tried donating food to the local foodbanks, other than peanut butter, granola bars, dry cereal, all which go into the Angels of Action food collection bin at the local coffee shop. I do that weekly when I make my one "non-essential" stop to buy my Mother her fancy coffee and I take it when I take her meals and groceries. Anyway, I've just been writing checks, because they know what they need so that seems the safest and most efficient here.

Still no flour here, and the local farm supply had toilet paper a couple of days ago but now that's gone. Paper towels but no toilet paper at the local Meijer, and Lysol disinfectant, limit two.

We're still fine, there's nothing really that I can't live without. However, Mother is going crazy, LOL.

Annie

Save    
krystalmoon2009

I did misfits market once and unfortunately too much stuff in there my husband will not eat so have tried amazon fresh for last 2 weeks and am loving it. Not everything I want has been in stock but it sure has helped getting some produce. Meats, I have only had to go once to grocery store to get to carry us a few weeks.

Save    
Lars

I just realized that I do not have a rolling pin here with me, and I was planning on making quiche, pasta, etc. I do have a 7½" high cylindrical glass vase that I could probably use, but it would not be ideal. I also left my coconut oil in Los Angeles, and that is what I normally use in place of shortening when I make pie crusts, but I can use a combination of butter and grape seed oil, I think.

Save    
plllog

In my underequipped youth, I used a straight sided wine bottle sans label. It worked fine.

I have a small dowel style rolling pin (1" diameter) for empanadas and similar. It would work fine for pastry.

Look around. You might find something longer that will work better than the vase.

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

JC: that was last year - "underequipped youth" - wasn't it?

\^_^/

Lars: no hardware stores you could get a big dowel rod?

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I've often used just my hands to pat & press out doughs, sometimes between 2 sheets of baking or waxed paper...

2 Likes Save    
annie1992

Lars, a million years ago, when my ex and I still had the bar and grille, I used a Kessler's bottle to roll pie crusts. Any straight sided bottle will do, even a wine bottle. I filled it with ice water and it worked well plus kept the crust cold.

Annie

1 Like Save    
Lars

We do have wine bottles, but they have wine in them, and I'm not sure that they have straight sides longer than 7-1/2", but I will check. Tonight I cooked some dried pasta, but I don't have as much of that as I thought.

I will not be going to a hardware store any time soon. The Home Depot in Palm Springs has a long line to get in, and that is the closest hardware store.

I think I could probably press out pie crust with my hands, but we also do not have waxed paper, but I do have a collection of plastic bags from the grocery store.

Save    
cloudy_christine

I'm glad people mentioned Misfits. When I checked before they didn't deliver here. Now they do, and I put in an order. They are backed up for new orders until the first week in May, though.

1 Like Save    

Misfits. They are picking up farm-to-table small farms that used to have restaurant accounts. They already were adding locations as planned but now ramping up service as fast as they can. (NYTimes article about small farms suffering). I doubt most of the small farms even knew about Misfits. So that's good news. Once this mess is over, they will have relationships with more farms and help take their 'abundance' of produce that might normally go to waste.

2 Likes Save    
CA Kate z9

Bleach! I can't find it anywhere and I need just a bit for the laundry whites. RATS!!!

The biggest unexpected, unexplainedable surprise so far as actually been the unavailability of .... ready for this?.... SOS pads. What on earth are people using these wound-up steel wool scrubbing pads for that would create a darth of them???

Save    
Lars

I was looking at sewing machine reviews for someone else, and I noticed that a lot of them are unavailable! Who knew that there would be a run on sewing machines? I don't need a new one, but if you do, supplies are limited.

Save    

I just got flour and paper towels from Amazon. The flour I ordered on 3/16, so it took a long time to get here.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

@ Lars: I think that might be drop-shipped, that is, the seller doesn't actually keep such inventory on hand, but waits for customers to order it, then it's shipped directly from the manufacturer, which is likely overseas for something like a new sewing machine.

So much online commerce is drop-shipped these days, for instance, I just bought a new small appliance last night, which stated a delivery date of next Tues., and then the seller sent me a message saying it would be delayed 8-10 days due to customs delays right now.

Save    

I ordered dishwasher and laundry soap the same day as the 3oz 72dish soap. And a good thing I did. We would have run out this week. Nothing available on Amazon at the time but found a good one. Using the dishwasher soap the past couple days. Love it...

And I need bleach also!

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Lars, there is an Ace Hardware in both Palm Springs and Palm Desert and I have yet to encounter any Ace Hardware that didn't have a kitchenware section!!

There is nothing that I am short of or in danger of running out of. And if there were, I could pick it up on my next shopping trip. Grocery stores here are pretty much fully stocked again although they were never short of much besides paper products and cleaning supplies and while there is not a big selection of those, there is some..

In my somewhat rural location there are very limited grocery delivery options and the closest curbside pick up is 30 minutes away. When I need to, I go to the grocery early in the morning when it is not at all crowded and everyone - workers and shoppers alike - are gloved and masked.

1 Like Save    
Gooster

I made a big Costco run, my first time in two to three weeks. I had my mask on but only about 25% of the people had them on, and they were not respecting the six foot rule.

They had a mountain of eggs available for easter, and I have 5 dozen to add to my existing two dozen. It's baking and aparagus/goat cheese omelette and tortilla espagnol time. They were well stocked, except for some cleaning supplies, TP and Emergen-C powder (the only thing I really wanted). I got everything I needed or wanted, and many things I didn't need (like macarons, currently on sale at Costco). There were lots of unhealthy treats that tempted me, on sale, for the holiday.

Other than a couple of items where perhaps a favorite brand is out, I have not been missing anything. Plenty of meats, cheese, veg, fruit, sugar, flour, beans, rice etc. Before this trip we had actually "ate down" the fridge and freezer quite a bit, so it was good to get some new food.

I have a CSA box coming and I will only venture, I think, to the local specialty market to get things that I might need for an upcoming plan of meals (mixed bones for broth, Acme baguette, some pancetta, etc).

What I haven't been able to source is exercise equipment.

Save    
Olychick

To add to Gardengal's suggestion of Ace, they are doing curbside delivery here and imagine the PS ones do, too. Order online and call when you arrive and they'll run it out. I just have them sign for me when they drop it in my trunk. Or have it delivered to your home, via mail order. Such a better place to shop than home depot (whose owner is no one I want to support in any way).

1 Like Save    
Lars

Thanks! It looks like I can pick one up at Ace Hardware in Palm Springs. I'll see if Kevin wants to drive over there. It's pick-up only - they will not ship it to my house.

There used to be an Ace Hardware very close to my house here in Cathedral City, but it is now boarded up 😢

2 Likes Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I had ordered toilet bowl cleaner from Amazon since all the stores here are sold out. Got an email last night that the package was returned to them as "undeliverable." They said I would need to reorder it. So I went to do so and found that the price had gone up over $2 since the time I placed my original order. I could probably have held my head over the toilet and steam-cleaned it at that point. Thankfully I was able to order some from Walmart. Although I've about had it with both of them.

Save    
plllog

I can live without a grocery delivery, but I don't want to. I don't need a lot, but rather than raiding the freezer, I want fresh meat and veg, plus vitamins and a few other things. I tried Instacart for a small chain place nearby. They're a bit pricier than other larger stores, so I hoped it would be easier. Indeed, Instacart has delivery available for them--they just won't say when. I tried to choose Wednesday, which is the first date the "check times" said, but at checkout I could only get "flexible", which means any time between today and Wednesday. I really don't need it before Wednesday, so I wish I could have just chosen that.

So far, I'm finding that I can get most of what I want with patience. That doesn't include what no one can get, but I'm still doing pretty well at provisioning. It helps to be in a populous area, I think.

Save    
annie1992

It's going to get a bit harder to shop here, our Governor just extended the "stay home" order until May 1 and because people aren't smart enough to figure things out, like what "essential" means, there are some new restrictions. The big box stores like Lowe's are still open and everyone in the county apparently decided to redecorate because there was a run on flooring, furniture and appliances. Families were shopping for clothes at Meijer. Walmart sold out of paint and lawn and garden items. (sigh) So now those areas are all roped off, stores can only sell "essentials" like grocery and pharmacy items. No more travelling from severely infected Detroit to your cabin "up north", bringing all your germs with you because you think you have to act like you're on vacation and visit with all the neighbors and take long family walks. No more weekly rentals either. Stores are only allowed to let one person per 1,000 square feet in at a time, so there's a line up out into the parking lot. That will stop people from going to the store 3 times a day to buy the "limit 2" items and then resell them, maybe.

Michigan is now the third most "infected" state in the US and the death rate nearly doubled from yesterday, so hopefully we'll peak soon. (sigh)

Still no flour here either.

Annie

1 Like Save    
Compumom11

Los Angeles just got extended to May 15th, however places like Costco, Lowes and Home Depot are still open. Not sure about Walmart. Amazon Fresh is so frustrating, it never has a delivery spot open. Our local supermarkets and pharmacies are open and the lines are very controlled. I made a quick trip to a store at 6:45 last evening to pick up a specialty Passover cookie that DH loves. I had called ahead and they reserved them in the morning. I walked right in to the supermarket and the bakery is by the door. I was masked, gloved and holding my keys and a credit card. In and out in under 5 min. Phew! The annoying thing was a woman who butted in to ask another server about bread and insisted on standing right beside me. Although she was wearing a mask, she was clueless-- I had to tell her to move away from me! LOL

2 Likes Save    
plllog

With Amazon Fresh, you have to keep checking back for a delivery time.

1 Like Save    
cloudy_christine

Annie, I saw that you can't buy SEEDS in Michigan. Vegetables as well as flowers. Seems crazy.

Save    
Compumom11

Yes Pillog, but there hasn't been one for me in 10 days!

Save    
Olychick

"There used to be an Ace Hardware very close to my house here in Cathedral City, but it is now boarded up 😢"

Probably because people default to Home Depot instead of supporting their smaller, more local stores. Glad you'll be able to get what you want from Ace.

1 Like Save    

We gave up three weeks ago for any curb-side/delivery for groceries. At that time we decided to go no contact at all. No store shopping. Too many were not wearing mask or distancing.

FreshDirect (NYC area), popular for years, became so backed up a month ago, our delivery date, 10 days out, had more than half of the items out of stock. So overwhelmed, they never e-mailed or let us know what was not coming. Did not even substitute. The wholesale Baldors came through. 24 hour delivery, add to your order up until 10pm the night before.

Now they are backed up. I got my last delivery 8am this morning shared with neighbors. (I have a secured next delivery April 21st we don't need, but keeping it open for the neighbors).

Thankfully they were just out of a few things. Beets and feta. No real need for those.

Luxury items they did have, and happy to have them. No pasture raised eggs but I'll take anything at this point.

I could have lived without, having less appetites during all this. But the 4 pound pecorino will keep in the fridge for a while. Almost out and looked up the label on-line. We paid 34$. Cheese shops/groceries sell for 89$. I was down to 2 tBsp of toasted sesame oil. And out of AC vinegar. Got a gallon. All things on our usual shopping lists.

Check your wholesalers. They need our business with restaurants closed.

My neighbors split a case of canned tomatoes and 5 lb boxes of burgers. Split a case of pasta. A case of chicken quarters.

I ordered an extra burger box just incase they were out of stock. So we have 5pounds for chili, etc. All will get used. All cryo-vacked in 4-4oz, and 2-8oz. Fresh ground with two week use-by fridge. We froze most of ours. Chicken cryo-vacked as well. Easy prep.

Save    

I did finally find masa available on Amazon. Delivered by the end of the month for tamales I like to make for the 5th of May. The one last missing ingredient.

Save    
jakkom

Eggs. We love them for breakfast, but that also means we go through almost 2 doz per week. Almost all stores are restricting purchase to one carton per purchase.

The stores here in the San Francisco Bay Area are well stocked with most things, but paper supplies and cleaning products are in low supply. Produce is 90% full at most stores. Meats in good supply, both frozen and fresh.

We've found the "senior only" shopping hours to be helpful. Lines are shorter so you get out faster.

I've about given up on delivery. I was using almost exclusively over the past year, but it's impossible now. You can't get a delivery date unless you're really lucky. I have a good stock of basics, both food and non-food, so one shopping trip lasts over a week.

That is helped along by the on-line ordering I do of some items. One has to be flexible: if I can't find the exact brand/item I want, often there'll be something that's close enough.

Out here we have a lot of CSAs and food delivery options. All of them are as crushed by demand as the major supermarket on-line websites. It's hard on families with small kids - my niece has 3 kids under 10 at home, but her spouse has to commute to the city all week long. She can't take the kids to the market, and the grandparents are in the high-risk category so they can't babysit.

Save    
jakkom

Thought I should put this in another post:

DON'T try to buy too much bleach at one time! I was just checking my stocks and realized both my bottles were pretty old. When I Googled on whether it was still good, this came up:

Chlorine Bleach Shelf Life

https://www.thoughtco.com/chlorine-bleach-shelf-life-3976002

1 Like Save    

That should be mentioned as many times as possible. It will still stink and a noxious irritant to our lungs. And, still bleach clothing when expired. But the shelf life may not kill viruses. Not sure why but I abide by the expiration dates.

I'm using peroxide first, then soap. Ran out of my new tiny bottle of bleach a week ago. I initially thought if a bleach test on a scrap of black fabric turned white it was still good...still not sure, but no one seems to tell that that test is sound advice. So I go by the date on the bottle.

1 Like Save    
plllog

If the black fabric turns white, the bleach is pretty weak. Fresh out of the bottle bleach generally eats holes in the fabric. Additionally, black fabric is often dyed in layers and a single application might not make it white before the hole begins.

Here's an interesting article on why you need a test kit. :)

https://ag.utah.gov/documents/Sanitizers-ChlorineBleach.pdf

Save    
plllog

Jakkom, for eggs you might try restaurants. At least down here they're allowed to sell "groceries" as a take out order. You might be able to score a flat of eggs that way, even if you don't have a big enough order to buy directly from a food supply distributor.

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

Time

enjoy every moment.

Happy Easter everyone.

2 Likes Save    
annie1992

I know, CC, it's nuts. Fortunately I have all mine, and my plants are started already and growing happily under their lights. I do save a lot of my own seeds and got a couple of big boxes at the on line auction last year and seeds don't really expire, their germination just gets lower so I plant more thickly.

So, I have all the seeds I need or even wanted. I paid for strawberry crowns in January and just got an email about delivery in the beginning of May. I get "antsy" about January and start ordering seeds and plants, LOL, can't wait for gardening season!

I never thought I'd see a time when I couldn't get seeds, though. The problem here is "essential" items. Big box stores like Lowe's were allowed to stay open for "essential" items, things like fixing your roof or a broken window, but they would then sell garden center stuff, like flowers and weed killer or whatever. The small greenhouses and nurseries were not allowed to be open because they did not sell "essential" items. So, people started packing the big stores for things like a new BBQ grill or lawn furniture, definitely not essential. So, the Governor ordered that the big stores could stay open but had to close the garden centers, the furniture/flooring/paint departments, etc. So now there is no just going in to a store and wandering about, you go in, get your groceries and leave, you can't shop for a sweater and watch the goldfish. Oh, and you can't return bottles for deposit right now either. Our Governor (you know "that woman from Michigan") also put a limit on the amount of people who can go into a store at any given time, 1 person per 1,000 square feet.

The co-op is still open as are farm stores like Tractor Supply, agriculture is one of the "essential" services. So I can still get seeds from them, along with mineral blocks for the cattle, chicken feed and a tube for the tractor tire.

And, if people would just stop being ignorant, like the couple at Family Farm that weren't there to buy anything, they just brought their three kids in to "see the chickens and baby ducks", like it was a family outing to a petting zoo. Pffft. If people would act reasonably we wouldn't need so many rules to protect other people, sheesh.

Annie

3 Likes Save    
plllog

The local news reports a study that says that 95% of residents approve of the say at home orders. I wonder what the other 5% are thinking?

1 Like Save    
Olychick

they think it's a hoax meant to make the pres look bad. As if he needs any help with that!

2 Likes Save    
jakkom

>>I wonder what the other 5% are thinking?>>

The 5% doubtless included the 400 idiots who got together for a giant party on 4/11 in Bakersfield, CA that ended in six people shot:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/12/us/bakersfield-california-shooting-stay-at-home/index.html

Save    
plllog

Good grief!!!

Save    
2ManyDiversions

DH had to go out for a survey (driving only, not getting out), says the grocery stores are packed, Lowe's, Home Depot, packed and rarely sees anyone wearing gloves, masks. Still. Nothing has changed much here.

After I posted about the black beans, I realized I didn't pay enough attention to the original question. "Can't live without" - nothing, thus far. Not to be a paranoid, but I wonder if that will change over time. When will it be considered 'safe' to go out, to be with others? When there's a vaccine? I don't mean to be a full on alarmist, but given my belief many people will go back to work (many out of sheer necessity) soon, and my belief (yeah, I know, I'm really sounding like an alarmist now) that this will start new waves of spread, we might have more serious issues later on. At that time, we may have more serious "can't live without" problems. No, not an alarmist, but I do like to think of future scenarios, to be as prepared as possible.

Save    
Lars

We went to Gelson's in Rancho Mirage yesterday and were able to get everything we needed. I chose that store because it is high end and is in a very high end neighborhood, which also has Lamborghini and Ferrari dealerships. I was able to get a rolling pin there for $7 and we also stocked up on various types of Brie. They have a very good selection there, and the regular grocery stores will only have one or two brands, and the Latin markets have none at all. I also bought some Jarlsberg cheese, bread flour, a baguette, fresh Ahi tuna, sushi, etc., but I did forget to buy toasted sesame oil. I do have garlic-chili sesame oil that I bought at a Japanese market in L.A. and brought with me, however. I did try to bring as many Japanese ingredients with me as possible, including my favorite Japanese soy sauce, as there are no Japanese markets in the Coachella Valley, but stores like Gelson's do have an international section with a few items. Gelson's also has the best sushi.

I feel less anxious about food now because Gelson's was well stocked, and they also have very strict safety measures in place, including sanitizing the checkout counters frequently. They did this while we were in the store shopping. No one is allowed in without a mask, and Kevin and I both wore disposable rubber gloves as well. The only problem with Gelson's is that it is rather expensive, but it's worth it to feel safe.

Save    
plllog

2Many, it's not alarmist. If what they're working on now comes to fruition, it'll be at least a year before there's a vaccine. They don't yet know if the antibodies imply immunity, or if the virus mutates quickly. Something that can't be known yet is if there a significant mutation, if it will negate any immunity to the old version. The experts have been saying they expect a resurgence in Fall and/or Winter.

In California, they've posited that part of the slowing of the infection rate is that the virus was here, and thought to be part of a difficult flu season, before anyone knew or recognized it. We have a lot of connection to China, plus are a major port of entry for people from China. They think covid-19 might have been here as early as last September. Stanford University is studying the matter and trying to figure it out.

If that's true, it says something for "herd immunity" slowing the rate of infection. It seems evident from what has been said (but I don't have scientifically analyzed numbers) that many people can have exposure and develop antibodies, perhaps immunities, without ever getting sick. If that's the case, in places with current high infection rates, and if it turns out that there is immunity, will have a better chance of being more normal later.

Remember, the current good news of the slowing of rate of infection, of "flattening of the curve" only means that everybody is getting it, but not as fast, not that people aren't getting it. Throw people back together like the old normal now will just raise the rate of infection, unless and until there is some herd immunity or a vaccine.

The scramble for basic supplies will level off as the "new normal" ticks along. People who have recovered will return to work as others become infected.

To the original question of what can't you live without: Turns out for me it was wheat flour. I have quite a bit of grain, but shouldn't eat the the bran, and I don't have the right kind of sifter for separating it. I've gone off flour entirely for short periods as a trial to find out what works and doesn't. I don't care about other starches. Wheat makes me happy. :) I was going to buy flour from Central Milling before all this started. At first, I just stopped. Then I decided I might as well, and ended up with at least 6 months worth of flour. I also got a big amount of yeast because I hadn't been feeling well (unrelated), and was much better able to deal with commercial yeast than sourduogh wild yeast. It's fast and easy and doesn't need to be fed.

Yes, I can live without flour/yeast. But having a large supply of flour on hand makes me feel a lot better. And bread hasn't been an issue here. One can buy bread and other bakery items. But I feel better having the flour! (I'm just waiting for Passover to end to get into it.)

1 Like Save    
Gooster

Has anyone ventured out to their local restaurant wholesaler? I saw it mentioned earlier (or on another thread). I see the largest chain, Restaurant Depot, is now offering day passes. Huge quantities, so get your pantry and chest freezers ready.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

So, the local grocer... finally ... got some TP in. [what was all that about, anyway?]

no packages. But single rolls, individually wrapped ... $1 each. Limit 1.

Plenty of coffee filters ... stocked up.

Save    
Compumom11

Actually Gelson's had individually wrapped Scott's TP rolls yesterday. Today they had boxes of Scott's tissues. I don't know what that's about, but I picked some up for a grateful friend. Another friend was at Costco yesterday and scored a jumbo pack of Bounty for me. I was delighted, I only have one more roll left and we're using it saturated with disinfectant to wipe down counters etc.

The store manager told me his supplier gets odd shipments, but still can't get yeast

Save    
Cloud Swift

Plllog, the suggestion that California got some kind of herd immunity in the fall has been debunked. It was promoted by a doctor who isn't an infectious disease specialist and by the anti-social distancing crowd. See:

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/04/03/already-had-covid-19/

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200414/California-COVID-19-herd-immunity-theory-debunked.aspx
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/14/california-coronavirus-herd-immunity-early-spread-stanford-expert-interview

Many California counties put in place social distancing / shelter in place early and then the whole state did it which has helped slow the spread. Even before that, many were cancelling gatherings.

We have had some significant outbreaks when people ignored the orders. For example, 70 cases were linked to a church in Sacramento that delayed stopping services and continued gatherings in people's homes when they stopped services at the church. That was a large percentage (a third?) of the total cases in the county.

1 Like Save    
Cloud Swift

Compumom, I've read that part (most?) of the reason for the toilet paper shortage is that normally about 40% of TP sales are to non-residential customers, e.g. bathrooms at offices, hotels, restaurants, stores, other public places. That is often produced in different factories with packaging capabilities for those markets like the pallets of individually wrapped rolls and the super big rolls used in some public bathrooms. So many sheltering in place has shifted where the usage is happening and the industry can't adapt quickly enough to prevent shortages.

Perhaps Gelson's has gotten some of the non-residential product to distribute.

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

I got a 24 roll pack of TP a while back, and more recently (also at curbside) a 4 roll pack (just wanted to see if the other was a fluke). Nothing that remotely resembles a disinfectant, though. Beans are still short here, as are other items.

DH and I took a drive Saturday, and you'd think nothing was going on... hardly anyone wearing masks, very little distancing, if that. We live in the South East. There have been some protestors to re-open non-essential businesses. Someone was quoted as saying there was no pandemic.

Save    

Nuts and crazy I found myself low on a few things thinking it was no biggie. 5-6 weeks ago...then did not risk shopping any markets. (help) Crazy the wholesaler starts home delivery, lol. I have quart, 1/2 gallon, gallon of all those needed ingredients. I'm not necessarily hooked on staples and usually make do...lol.

Thanks to the wholesalers I have quarts, half gallon and gallons of all these.

I just fill up from the downstair pantry.

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

I need to go to world market and stock up on EVOO and my Mae Ploy chili sauce ... and whatever else hard-to-procure item/s catch my fancy ...

Save    
plllog

Cloud Swift, they seem to be going back and forth on it. It seems to have been spreading here much earlier than was previously reported, though not to the 60% of population that is the lowest point for a real immunity--and they don't even know if this disease has immunity yet.

My latest don't want to live without is bananas. :) Can't live without is high protein sources (meat, poultry, eggs). (This is a me thing--mostly plant based have complications for me.)

Good news is there are Delivery times for when I want them....

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Olive oil. I haven't been able to get it last 2 curbside pickups. Maybe the shoppers are messing with me! I have avocado and canola, so I'll live! Oh, I was shocked to find toilet paper in a porta potty today! You'd think someone would have stolen all three 1-ply, stiff as paper, rolls. LOL! I was helping DH empty his hanger and I could not wait. I mumbled to myself as I entered that no way would there be TP, so when I saw it my first thought was to take a photo for this thread.... But I just had to get outta there fast.

Save    
Olychick

bragu, world market stores are closed but it looks like they are shipping (with some things delayed because of demand). Maybe you can get your things shipped (free shipping over $49).

Save    
Cloud Swift

Plllog, from what I've read, earlier than they thought as in early February or maybe January - which makes sense. But not in the fall as in the theory of the anti-shelter-in-place guys.

Not "can't live without" but white vinegar which we use in the laundry has been impossible to get.

Some things are getting easier - last order from our regular grocery we got a carton of eggs and all the milk we ordered for the first time since this stuff started. (We'd been able to get them from other stores so it's just been inconvenient.)

I got 50 pounds of good bread flour from Central Milling.

1 Like Save    
plllog

Oh! I didn't know about the anti-shelter-in-place guys pushing this!! Ugh! I'm so over the people who are so self-involved they think their immediate wants trump the public good. If they were the ones desperate for food, I'd have compassion (I do have compassion), but, like most revolutionaries and rabble rousers, they're mostly of comfortable means. I was just talking about the Stanford studies trying to track it down. Makes sense that they'd go back as far as September because they just didn't know, so it's best to go well back from where you think the starting point is to make sure to capture it. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes a lot farther back than the two in Santa Clara in February--in fact it must, probably people who didn't have any or much illness, because neither of the SC deaths had obvious points of contact.

Cloud Swift, the store I've been getting my groceries from has a couple kinds of white vinegar, so maybe look around for that too. Which flour did you get?

Save    
Cloud Swift

Artisan Baker's Craft - one of the ones you suggested. Today, I found out it's what my son has been using too & he's really happy with it. Like you, he prefers it to KA.

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

olychk:

Haven't been to the big city in weeks. I figured if TJ is open, WM might be too. That's okay, I'll take TJ olive oil. Things sound like they will be loosening up some, soon. I figure they want me to spend my stimulus funds ...

Save    

I suppose cheese is on my list of 'can't live without'. I doubled the order this time to avoid needing any for some time and lessen shipping charges. And a fear they may send replacements. But they had all I requested.

I don't need to open what I already have with long fridge dates. YOYO snacking for mid-day tiny lunch. Once-twice a week we just have dinner green salads and a small shared charcuterie plate.

Still can't get curbside or delivery dates like we did early March. (and when we did they came missing 1/2 requested).

2 Likes Save    
plllog

That's quite a haul!

I've divided my cheese needs into three main categories: Something soft and funky for bread or crackers. Something sliced for sandwiches (has to be good--no rubber!). Blocks for casseroles and other cooking.

Charcuterie plates sound fun, but wouldn't go over well here. :) I'm glad to enjoy the idea through your posts. :)

Save    
CA Kate z9

2ManyD: Sur la Table has a really good EVOO, and you can order it from them if you get desperate.

1 Like Save    
rosewitch

Started out with a full stock of most of my needs. And so far been lucky that I have been able to restock a few things used up. One thing I never want to be out of is my Darjeeling tea! But Upton Tea is online for easy and fast shipment. But my #1 can't do without is hand sanitizer and that can't be found anywhere. I use it most during my IV med/pump changes every two days. I am on this 24/7 pump for Remodulin treatment for Pulmonary Hypertension. I also use it for once a week IV port dressing changes. The last thing I want is a line or site infection. I got a big refill bottle in late March, but it's really getting low now. My monthly pump supplies come with two boxes of alcohol wipes which help but the sanitizer is extra insurance for avoiding infection. My Pulmonologist specialist and hospital that deal with this is two hours away. My daughter is on the hunt during every shopping trip.

Save    

So sorry to hear anyone having trouble for necessary medical needs. I had DH stock up on his necessary eye drops that he hesitated at the time, early March... They send a 6 month supply, way more than normal. Refrigerated and dates are good.

1 Like Save    

That's quite a haul!

CypresGrove HumboltFog is a favorite here. Usually just a treat a few times a year. It has three lives. Fresh, then semi creamy as it ages, then slightly funky, ...over a couple of months. Can't have a one-on-one with the cheese monger at this time, so having a couple wheels is a no-brainer. Never would buy it at the semi-delicious-funky stage from the get-go. All stages have their uses.

Save    
plllog

I don't think Humbolt Fog fresh is worth the money--other cheeses can sing the same part for a lot less. :) I've only bought it by the webge, but usually fairly well down the funk road, when it's getting really good. When they don't have any, and I get the fresh, it tends to be gone before it fully ripens, but that's not the cheese's fault. :) So are you going to do different storage temperatures to have different stages of ripeness?

My grocery order for tomorrow includes a Red Hawk. It has a distinctive flavor fresh, and develops an excellent funk.

Save    

We have never had the luxury to shop even weekly working so many hours. I like the option having most fresh, then letting it ripen at home. Enjoying all stages like I mentioned. (far from retirement, but might be forced into it now)....and fine with that going over finances.

I don't want a 'ripe' wedge from a grocery shopper if I could even get that.

Did love the one-on-one with the cheese monger...tasting, suggestions...trying something new. Not happening anytime soon.

1 Like Save    

For those looking for high quality EVOO, we love Pasolivo which grows olives near us and would probably be happy for the business. https://www.pasolivo.com/shop/olive-oils.html

1 Like Save    
beesneeds

Right now the only thing I'm running low on is a want.. good olives. I'm a bit of an olive junkie at the best of times and right now my pantry is at tinned black and commercial jar stuffed green olives. Oh the woe, lol.

Another running out of and more serious.. my base garden starter pro-mix. Lucky that I started my last major seed trays. And bought a bunch of random bricks of cocoa on clearance last fall to help stretch a wee bit.

Save    
Olychick

I love Humbolt Fog at all stages.

eta: A local fine dining restaurant serves a wedge of it warmed on a green salad. Yum.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I'm not short or in danger of running out of anything. Stores here have everything I need. Even paper products and cleaning supplies are back in stock, although not in overwhelming quantity.

Save    
annie1992

rosewitch, I'm sorry you are having trouble getting the medical supplies you need. I don't know where you are, but you might have your daughter check at any local/small artisan breweries. One locally here has stopped brewing beer and is using supplies to make hand sanitizer, which they have donated to the local hospital.

2many, my favorite olive oil is from California, a place called Sciabica's. Long ago we had "swaps" here on the Cooking Forum, and Diana out in California sent me a sampler. I was hooked on the Marsala Olive Oil. I signed up for the newsletter and bought some more. One morning my phone rang and it was a lovely elderly gentleman, Mr. Sciabica! He wanted to make sure I didn't run out of olive oil, LOL, and reminded me that it was also a wonderful facial moisturizer. (grin) We had a nice chat, it's a small family owned business since sometime in the 1930's and you know I like to support that. Anyway, here's a plug for them:

https://www.sunshineinabottle.com/family-history/

Annie

1 Like Save    
plllog

laughing Yeah, Sleevendog, I get that about the wedges. :) I should say, I used to get wedges, back when we were allowed to go to the grocery store. The Red Hawk is only sold as a whole, wrapped cheese. Depending on the stocking at local stores, I may be turning to iGourmet, soon.

Save    
rosewitch

Annie, thanks! You just reminded me that one of our local beer distilleries was teaming up with the state to make sanitizer. They were going to prioritize it for state workers and private health entities like the local hospitals. And as the supply increased for postal workers. I need to check into if they are now making enough so we can get some. Many thanks for the timely reminder. Take care and stay safe.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Well, now I'm really confused as to which EVO to order : ) Nice conundrum to have!

rosewitch, I hope your local distillery can offer you a supply. You should mention why you use it, if you feel comfortable doing so. I would. We have more moonshine distilleries locally than I can keep track of - one of which I know is making hand sanitizer for hospital workers. I can't purchase it, but I am pretty sure if I were using it to change port dressings, they'd be happy to sell me some.

2 Likes Save    
plllog

I'm thinking you mean legit distilleries making traditional moonshine? Not grandpa with a home welded still out in the woods? You gave me a really big grin pasting a mental picture from the movies with bottles of hand sanitizer with hand drawn first aid labels. :)

While looking for other things online last week (or the previous? How are we supposed to mark the passage of time?), I found a list of CSAs here which included one that delivers organic. Previously, the only CSAs near me were on the school based pickup model which just didn't work for me. Some of our people, in other regions, have used this one, at least in the past, and at the time liked it. The alternative I really wanted to make work are really much more commercial oriented--not a CSA, but a box directly from a farm company. Their minimum buy for any particular item was more than I can handle. They have more interesting offerings, but their comparable box to a CSA was too much of the wrong stuff.

The CSA also have customizable boxes--you sign up for a minimum spend per delivery period, but can get whatever you want that they have available. I think it sounds like Misfits do that, though this is farm share, rather than the unsellables, and direct delivered, not shipped by carrier. I don't need lemons like most people do--I have a fruitful tree--but they have plenty of other interesting things to choose instead. I love the idea of local-ish, supporting farms, getting what's right on season, etc., and choosing from the supermarket delivery, other than very basic things is really hard because you have to know what to ask for. My first box comes Saturday and my choices include green garlic. I've never seen it and look forward to something new. And they have small maker hand sanitizer. :)

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

So not fair plllog!! LOL! I can't find anything like that here. I am so happy for you! Passed a local farm stand a few times the last two weekends - at least 10 cars at the tiny stand. People milling about everywhere. And frankly, a lot of what they are selling in our area now is greenhouse veg, which is fine... but I'm not risking all those maskless people!

Ha! Well, there are a few non-legal moonshiners 'around these parts' but I'm not saying how I know : ) But yes, legal distilleries, and in fact the first legal moonshine distillery was here, where I live. I'm just so proud of that fact...LOL! Truthfully, I am proud that they are now making sanitizer for the hospitals.

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

rosewitch, send me a private message if you want. I've got a link for you to buy hand sanitizer. Tried to message you, but apparently I can't see them even when enabled.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

rosewitch, if you have any issues with the link, message me again. I'm assuming you know how to copy/paste, but if not, I'm more than happy to help you : )

1 Like Save    
beesneeds

My local Aldi chain opened up delivery service a couple weeks ago. Not sure which one of the two about the same distance from me the order will come from.. but I got an early afternoon tomorrow window for delivery. I've shopped often enough at both of them till recently to know their produce is good.. and I'm almost out of shelf stable ghee, and I like theirs a lot.

Found out the delivery service by me offers the option of tipping, with a base suggested amount of 5 %. I upped that to 10%, rounded up, because I live in the boonies a bit and happy just to have deliveries out here.

Backing off a meal subscription service I was gifted with and now drifting on with a bit. The produce took a dive real quick unfortunately.

And my biggest missing it right now... good eating olives. And miso, dead out of miso.

Save    
3katz4me

Nothing I can't live without though I couldn't find any fresh basil this weekend and needed it for a recipe. I threw some pesto in instead and the dish was fine. Hopefully I'll be able to find some plants to grow my own once it gets warm enough. My stores have been pretty well stocked and I just make do with whatever I can find. I think it may be harder if you don't go to the store and shop entirely at home and some items say not available online but if you're in the right place and the right time you can get them in the store.

Save    
plllog

So, my grocery delivery came. To my neighbor two doors down. At first she thought someone had bought them for her, but it was meat more than anything else, and that's not her thing, whereas I have the CSA box coming Saturday, so I only had one bag of produce. And at that, most of what I didn't get at least an approved replacement for was salad fixings. I added a bunch of broccoli to my CSA order to make a little broccoli slaw with, and it has lettuce and watercress (yummy watercress). I have some spinach.

I feel bad for people who never needed to know how to cook. At least here, so far there's plenty of real food, if not one's first choice. Still plenty of organics. My sense is that there are many less grab and go type things. There's a lot of heavy advertising for meal delivery services, both diet and just the kind meant for busy folks. I don't know if that's because they've had a decrease in sales with everyone stuck at home with time to cook, or if it's that they're capitalizing on higher demand for prepared foods to just show up.

Save    
plllog

2Many, check out Local Harvest for your area. That's where I found my CSA.

Save    
annie1992

Talking about diet meal delivery services, Elery says he's going to be seeing two other women before this is over: Betty Ford and Jenny Craig!

Annie

2 Likes Save    
2ManyDiversions

plllog, so glad your neighbor didn't keep your box! Aw, watercress, how wonderful!!!

We have no Local Harvest CSA's near us. The closest is 156 miles, and they don't deliver - you pick up. You have to buy almost $800 worth up front, no cancelling. Oh well.

We have a Tyson chicken here in TN, which is now closed due to employees having Covid. News says food will remain available, but 'what food' will change. I'm guessing pickles and... well, pickles.

TN got a D- for social distancing. I'm surprised, I'd have guessed an F, but according to GPS tracking of phones, my county got a B-, which again, shocks me, as I'd have guessed an F.

I agree, I feel for those who never had the need to learn to cook. Initially, pre-cooked foods were available, but now they are diminishing.

I'll order more flour, more chicken (Whole, which is now the only way to find it, and then it's iffy. Apparently many do not know how to break down a chicken), and any other necessities I might worry about running out of. I'll try for EVO again this week, but if not, I'll have to order it.

beesneeds, you remind me I still have a little miso left, and I can only order it (can't buy it locally) in the winter. I'd best make good use of it!

Save    

I've alway been a CSA supporter. We have a fantastic one less than ten miles away. Some can even volunteer a few/8 hours a week to help pay down the high advance money required. Pick-up hours are awkward, and it coincides with my own garden I've had for 30 years so I have no need for similar produce. I support the business plan but have not joined without a need. Why Misfits works taking produce from more southern farms well ahead of my garden season.

Betty Ford, JennyCraig, lol.

Save    

Oh, Annie, thanks for the olive oil link. I may need that and do like Cali OliveOil. I have two back up evoo and two avocado. My two go-to for everything. And a big tub of un-opened coconut.

I like their box packaging and only 5$ shipping. Good company to support.

Save    
party_music50

wow. Just paid almost $20 for four boneless/skinless chicken breasts -- ordinarily they'd be half that price. Crazy high prices and limited (or no) availability on so many things here.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life We Can Work It Out: Living (and Cleaning) Together
Run a household without fussing and fighting with these ideas for how to work together on household chores
Full Story
Remodeling Guides Ask an Architect: How Can I Carve Out a New Room Without Adding On?
When it comes to creating extra room, a mezzanine or loft level can be your best friend
Full Story
Living Rooms Lay Out Your Living Room: Floor Plan Ideas for Rooms Small to Large
Take the guesswork — and backbreaking experimenting — out of furniture arranging with these living room layout concepts
Full Story
Our operating philosophy as consulting engineers is based on the belief that each project has a unique solution... Read More
Whether it's traditional or transitional design motifs, Barbara works closely with clients to discern their needs... Read More