SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
william_pena11

Suggestions for exterior renovation of small colonial style home

William Pena
4 years ago

Hello everyone. I was hoping for some suggestions on my planned facade renovation. Below is a picture of my house as it currently exists. My plan is to do the following:

1. The stairs are cracked, crumbling and unsightly. I want to demolish the stairs and rebuild a new stair case of brick and a stone slab on top of each step.

2. The balcony is also cracking and in bad shape. It needs to be demolished but I probably will not rebuild for a couple of reasons. First, I never use it. Also, in order to have enough space for a car to fit under the balcony, the concrete floor under the balcony slopes toward the house. This also causes trash to collect under the balcony and also rainwater to flow toward the house. There is a small drain under the balcony, but if I'm away, the drain becomes covered with trash, leaves and other debris, and the water will cause flooding in my basement. Accordingly, I prefer not to have a balcony so I can slope the concrete away from the house without having to worry about if a car will fit under the balcony. My concern with this is that the bottom portion of the house to the right of the staircase might look bare and empty. I think it makes sense to cover that portion with some brick or stone veneer to make it more decorative.

3. The aluminum siding has seen better days and I don't like the brick veneer around the door. I want to replace it with new white siding and add black shutters to the windows like in the picture below. I realize the example house is much bigger but just the general color scheme is what I'm looking for.

4. I want to add a little triangular roof/portico structure over the door for protection from elements and added decoration.

5. I'm considering bringing the roof a little more forward (but following the same pitch). The example also gives an idea of how I'd like the roofline to look.

I'd love any feedback on these ideas and any alternative ideas. Thanks.

Comments (22)