SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pvecholane

Is it too late to transplant Picea pungens ‘St Mary’s Broom’?

echolane
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I had to dig out and discard a very large “dwarf” Chamaecyparis pisifera cultivar that I have cherished for decades because it was getting way overcrowded. It’s left quite an empty spot in the garden and I *finally* decided which of my many dwarf conifers would look just right for that empty spot. It is a very blue St Mary’s Broom’ that is already looking fairly crowded in the narrow planting spot it now calls home. It is about 15“ high and about 24” wide. I wish I had this inspiration in November, but I didn’t. Dare I transplant it now?

I should add that I am in Zone 9 or Sunset zone 16. It’s a fairly cold microclimate. I once visited a nearby garden that was at a higher elevation and their deciduous shrubs and trees were well leafed out while mine were barely showing swelling buds.

I once got a large Picea pungens globosa as a mail order plant. no doubt to save space and shipping cost the vendor had shaved the root ball to almost nothing. I was Upset because I was sure it wouldn’t live! But it did and I have had a lot more confidence in moving conifers ever since and I have moved quite a few. But never this late.

Comments (6)